“First Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Maitani

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orvieto
Hotel Maitani
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Orvieto
NW England
“First Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2007

Well, we stayed at the Maitani for four nights this month and were treated with complete kindness from arrival to leaving. We were two couples, with very pleasant rooms, and enjoyed unfailing smiles at the desk.
They portered our luggage to the room, and asked why we didn't call them when we were leaving
We never had to ask for our room keys, they remembered the numbers every time
They parked our car, and retrieved it quickly when we needed it.
After they heard it was my wife's birthday , they gave her a small gift.
Breakfast was a little limited, but not unexpected in Italy.
Maitani would be my first choice for a further visit to Orvieto.

• Liked — Plenty of room.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2007

I chose this on the basis of price, location, Lonely Planet listing and reviews on this website. I booked directly with the hotel and their response was courteous and informative. For those arriving in Orvieto by train it is ideally located in a quiet street a stone's throw from the bus stop from the station, the cathedral and the information office. Several nice restaurants, snack bars within 200 yards.

The lobby is huge, well furnished and comfortable if you want to relax there rather than in your room. Rooms are well-furnished and equipped: for a single room mine was large and had a nice seating area. Shower room was also large and well-fitted.

A previous contributor complained about surly staff at reception. They are not effusive but they are polite, efficient and helpful, which is what I look for.

I was a bit disappointed in the breakfast buffet which I thought was just adequate, but apart from that i have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Liked — Location, room, cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
Geelong, Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2007

We found the Hotel by way of the sign on the end of the street after a booking fiasco with another hotel in Orvieto. We had a double room with plenty of space and a huge, comfortable bed. Breakfast was the usual Italian fare including cereal. The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable about their town and what to do and see. Their English was a lot better than my Italian! Access to the internet was appreciated. Dinner on the balcony overlooking the Duomo was a highlight of our stay. The sun was setting and the Cathedral was bathed in a pink light; very beautiful. Everything was very clean, and the deep bath was bliss after a long day exploring the town on foot - the only way to go. The bus from the cable car sets down in the square very close to the Hotel. Central to everything one could wish for. Looking forward to our next visit to Hotel Maitani.

• Liked — Location. General ambience
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2006

I stayed in the Hotel Maitani for one night in late Septebmer and was happy with both the service and the room. Exceptionally, they took my booking without asking for a credit card number.

Like all the staff I met at the hotel, the receptionist was polite and helpful. My single room was small, but bright, well furnished and extremely clean. The brass double bed might have been a bit too big for the room, but it was nice to get a full-sized bed instead of a single. The room had some nice extra touches like a welcome chocolate, big fluffy towels, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and tissues (a rarity in most Italian hotel rooms). The bathroom was tiled mildly eccentrically in blue and red, however, it was also spotless, and contained a full-sized tub.

Breakfast was the usual buffet of ham, cheese, fruit, yoghurt, breads and cakes. Each guest was also offered a hot drink as well as a glass of freshly squeezed juice.

One of the nicest features of the hotel was the terrace which has a view of the Orvieto catherdal's facade.

On the whole a very pleasant place to stay in a lovely town. I would unreservedly recommend the Maitani.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank Lagah
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2005

My Aunt and I have stayed at Hotel Maitani at least 4 times. It is really unfortunate that other cultures cannot understand the true Italian culture. For instance, you do not stay at a hotel in another country thinking you are still in your own country.

We found Hotel Maitani very comfortable, with no extra frills except the deep culture of Orvieto.

I plan on going to Italy again in the next six months. And when in Orvieto, etc., I DO plan on staying with Hotel Maitani.

Thank you to the staff. And you know what? Maybe the man was sleeping behind the desk. I caught that too! But it's cultural in a town, not a big city! Was it in the evening? Was it during siesta? How sad for you who didn't stay there.

Can't anyone get beyond the hurry hurry thing.

See you soon Hotel Maitani! Cristina

• Stayed November 1999
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2005

A local shopkeeper told us that the Maitani was "the best hotel in town." So, we checked it out. Granted we never got past the lobby, which was large and looked like it could use some dusting and airing out. The man behind the desk appeared to be asleep when we walked in. He would not speak English or pretend to understand a word of my (very) fractured Italian. However, we'd made ourselves understood over the past two weeks without problem.

His idea of "showing" rooms was to throw a light switch to illuminate a series of photographs of "all" the rooms. Apparently, one is to select a room from this smorgasbord! He would not let us see a room personally.

When we left my boyfriend gallently told him we'd be back. "When pigs fly," I responded. Maybe he understood THAT much English!

So, if you are in Orvieto (which is a great town, well worth a stop), don't waste your time walking into the Maitani. The man at the desk needs his sleep.

• Stayed March 2005
12 Thank WhiteDahlia

Travellers are raving about these Orvieto hotels