“Old world home, old world charm, farmhouse in the country”
Review of Locanda Rosati

Locanda Rosati
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Orvieto
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This has been the highlight of our trip. I cannot give a better review to a B&B.
From the incredible old world farmhouse, to the home cooked gourmet meals, and everything in between, Locanda Rosati delivers the best of everything.
We took some cooking classes with the kitchen staff and had an absolute blast.
The bedrooms are quaint but very comfortable.
The staff treats everyone like family.
Ask for a transfer from the train station as the drive is about 20 min and a 25-30 euro taxi fare.

My wife and I stayed here with her parents and it was the perfect stay for all four of us. Don't leave the farm for dinner, stay and be delighted with bottomless wine and incredibly fresh food cooked exquisitely.

Orvieto was incredible, but this was the true gem of the city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmanphs
giampi1, Proprietario at Locanda Rosati, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear all,
many thanks for your review and for your stay at Locanda.
We are pleased that you had pleasant days and we hope to host all your family again!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at Locanda Rosati, as a couple in our party had stayed there 4years prior and raved about it. We also booked in to the dinners for both nights, so my review will be about both the hotel and dinners.
To start with, the room was fairly basic for the money paid. Certainly comfortable but the bathroom had a sloping roof under which the bath and shower were located. This meant we could not stand up to shower and had to hunch over or take a bath. When we checked in we were told that they were completely booked so thought it pointless asking to change rooms. The air conditioner also didn't work and we had to wait until the owner arrived late on our second night to have it fixed. Small annoyances but annoyances none the less.
However the dinners are what most people rave about and so we booked in for both nights. When we booked in for dinner I told the cook I was vegetarian and he assured me it wouldn't be a problem. If it had been, we would just have gone to another place for dinner.
However on the first night. My vegetarian meal was given to another diner. The host did not notice I wasn't eating, it was only when another guest pointed it out that he came to see me. After a very long time, he came back with a plate of cheese and some cut tomato and told me I should have advised them I was vegetarian. When. I advised that I had, he did not apologise, or acknowledge they had given my meal away.
On the second night, I had high expectations that I might get a nice vegetarian meal. However the chef came to see me whilst we were at the table waiting for dinner to arrive to ask me what I wanted. I was a bit taken aback but as we had had several large meals I suggested a salad. However I was told I could have carrot and celery, which is what they delivered to me. It was the vegetable stew that was the accompaniment to the meat platter.
I understand I could have spoke to the owner and told him I was not happy but to be honest, based on what other people have posted, I thought he had a reputation of getting to know his guests and looking out for their enjoyment. I certainly do not feel he did this for us.
Maybe my experience was a one off but the comments from the party I was with was that the dinner was not the experience it used to be and for 37 euro per person, I am sure you could get much better value and a better experience elsewhere.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Clare A
giampi1, Proprietario at Locanda Rosati, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to clarify a few points regarding this review of Locanda Rosati.

First and foremost, you are a returning guest and for this we are pleased
that you wanted to return and share your holiday with us again!
We have a large population of returning guests and you are one of them,
thank you for this compliment.

The air conditioning didn't work because of a large rain storm, which was
resumed when electricity was restored to the area within hours.
The temperature during that time was 21 degrees during the day and 15 degrees
at night.
It was comfortable and no one else complained about the air conditioning, as no
one was using it during these cool days and nights.

Regarding your meal. It seems by your review, that you were just served tomatoes and
cheese. You received an appetizer a first course of pasta, a second meal, dessert
and unlimited wine, liquors, coffee, teas etc. The price of the meal includes not only
the food but also wines (red and white) of unlimited portions.

You did not indicate your request for a vegetarian meal until you arrived prior to dinner
that evening. We did have another request for a vegetarian meal, this was for another guest.
We didn't serve them your meal. You were both given the same meal, however you
had an additional selection of cheeses (and not just mozzarella).

Regarding the tub, this room is located in a part of the Locanda, where the roof is somewhat slanted. We have
never received a complaint about this room, it is sometimes requested due to having the tub.
I understand you didn't like the room. If this was the case and we had another room, we would
gladly have offered it to you. We were sold out during your stay with us, so this was not possible.

Many thanks for returning to us at Locanda Rosati. I hope this explanation resolves any misunderstandings.
I hope we will have the occasion to host you again in the future!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed here five years ago and it was wonderful to see that the place that we had so enjoyed then is now even better. The rooms have been updated, and the food is as great and fresh as we remembered. The rooms, which have names of animals, are comfortable and quite large with very modern bathrooms. The pool and grounds are peaceful and relaxing with lots of places to rest and enjoy a glass of wine. The dinner, which is served family style with other guests, is always a real treat and great value with novel dishes using local, fresh products and wines, as well as traditional after dinner drinks. The limoncello and grappa are quite amazing! The owner is very knowledgeable about the area and suggested that we visit a local hill town called Civita di Bagnoreggio, which turned out to be a real highlight of our trip.
Breakfast is pretty basic, although they will make hot egg dishes upon request and they make a great espresso. The staff is so accommodating; they make you feel like you are with family. Can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your good review and for choosing our Inn again!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Welcome was warm, room spacious and clean. Family style dinner with other guests was fun. Distance to the center of Orvieto convenient. Nearby restaurant suggestion for grilled meats very good! Breakfast just okay...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our family did a 12 day trip through Italy with a stop hear in the middle. We started in Venice then trained to Florence then took the train to hear then on to Rome. I highly recommend a few days at this agriturismo during your trip to unwind from the stresses of the big cities. Food is awesome and it is so much fun to eat family style and visit with fellow travelers. The rooms are huge by euro standards

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
thanks for your review.
We are happy you spent a good time here in Locanda!
many thanks

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Booked one day ahead when seeing the strong ratings on Tripadvisor. Warm welcome by daughter of owners. Clean and spacious room on top floor for our family with three kids (10, 7 and 4). Very well maintained and managed place. The family understands hospitality and the power of good ratings in Tripadvisor. Great breakfast including friendly chat with the two owners.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for your review.
It was a pleasure to met you and we hope to host you again.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Supremely relaxing place with a delightful owner. Homey farmhouse with delicious four-course dinners served communally with all the wine, limoncello, and grappa one could drink. Some of the dishes served at dinner ranked amongst the best I ate in all of Italy, including a divine panzanella with tuna. We came during a time of rain, but were happy to spend afternoons on a covered stone patio listening to the rain in the company of a couple of friendly cats and a great bottle of red. Wild red poppies and bird song were intoxicating. A day trip to Orvieto revealed the prettiest cathedral I saw in all of Italy. I hope to return again, this time with a car so to further explore the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
giampi1, Proprietario at Locanda Rosati, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear guests,
thanks for your review.
It is a pleasure for us to hear taht our guests spent a nice period at Locanda.