“Disappointed ”

Locanda Rosati
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Orvieto
“Disappointed ”
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Rooms were expensive and there was a lot of road noise, it was difficult to find staff to assist, the owner seemed to only socialise with the return visitors that he knew, and lastly the dinners were not overly good value. We stayed here based on great TA reviews and were disappointed. Maybe our expectations were too high based on all the great reviews.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hebrew first
Portola Valley, California
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Quite aside from the beautiful town of Orvieto, Locanda Rosati is a beautiful and peaceful inn to use as the base for exploring Umbria. The first room we were assigned was small with small dormer windows and no view, but when we asked for other available rooms, we were shown two others, one of which was great. The dinner there is family style and very good, and there is a fun little restaurant nearby as well. We met several other American/European travelers at the inn which made it a lot of fun. Highly recommended.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sleeplessinfrisco
giampi1, Proprietario at Locanda Rosati, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest,
tahnks for your review.
Maryland
Reviewed 7 October 2013

If you want to spend some time tooling around Umbria, the town of Orvieto is a good central location. There are several rental car companies there and it is easy to reach by rail (although trains are notoriously late). You could stay in any number of hotels near the town, but for a truly special experience of life in the Italian countryside, consider staying at this grand agriturismo. It is a beautiful house with very comfortable, spacious rooms and several very nice amenities.

To start, there is dinner served every night to the entire group of guests at a large table. It is a great way to dine and get to know your host, Giampiero, and to compare notes with the other guests, all of whom are visiting the same sites that you are likely to seek. However, if you want to find a less costly dinner on some evenings, you only need drive a few minutes further up the road to the Trattoria del Conte for an authentic Italian meal that focuses on locally produced food that is in season. There are other places to eat in Orvieto as well.

Locanda Rosati also features a large, appealing swimming pool and a laundromat, making this a good place to schedule a washing day if you are traveling for a long time. The staff is also available 24/7 if you would like a glass of wine, coffee, or just about anything else from the kitchen.

Driving through the region can be confusing and it is easy to get lost, even with a GPS or using the Maps app on your iPhone; these devices are NOT 100% reliable anymore than Google Maps or MapQuest are. Instead, rely on Giampiero or Christiana (in the office) for directions to and from your destinations each day. If you are arriving by car, or when you are returning from a day of driving through the area, your best bet is to follow the signs to Orvieto and, once there, follow the signs to Bolsena; that will take you to the long, hilly, winding road where Locanda Rosati is located. You will first pass a very large restaurant on a hair-pin curve, then a bit later the Restorante La Mora; Locanda Rosati is a little bit further up the road on the right.

The only downside to staying out here is the distance from town and the long, winding road you must travel each day, but after a day of that you will be used to it and not really notice it. There is also WiFi service, but not in the rooms; the router is located in one of the living room/lounge areas on the lower level and you will receive good WiFi reception there.

We found this to be a wonderful experience and a look at part of Italy that many people may never see from a unique vantage point. Ironically, however, the most attractive places we visited while staying here were all in Tuscany, which is very nearby, such as Montepulciano and Cortona, but Civita is also a super photo op.

Room Tip: We liked the isolated room that is slightly off from the main house and nearest to the pool. It is...
1 Thank Allen W
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This has been the highlight of our trip. I cannot give a better review to a B&B.
From the incredible old world farmhouse, to the home cooked gourmet meals, and everything in between, Locanda Rosati delivers the best of everything.
We took some cooking classes with the kitchen staff and had an absolute blast.
The bedrooms are quaint but very comfortable.
The staff treats everyone like family.
Ask for a transfer from the train station as the drive is about 20 min and a 25-30 euro taxi fare.

My wife and I stayed here with her parents and it was the perfect stay for all four of us. Don't leave the farm for dinner, stay and be delighted with bottomless wine and incredibly fresh food cooked exquisitely.

Orvieto was incredible, but this was the true gem of the city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmanphs
Dear all,
many thanks for your review and for your stay at Locanda.
We are pleased that you had pleasant days and we hope to host all your family again!
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We recently spent 2 nights at Locanda Rosati, as a couple in our party had stayed there 4years prior and raved about it. We also booked in to the dinners for both nights, so my review will be about both the hotel and dinners.
To start with, the room was fairly basic for the money paid. Certainly comfortable but the bathroom had a sloping roof under which the bath and shower were located. This meant we could not stand up to shower and had to hunch over or take a bath. When we checked in we were told that they were completely booked so thought it pointless asking to change rooms. The air conditioner also didn't work and we had to wait until the owner arrived late on our second night to have it fixed. Small annoyances but annoyances none the less.
However the dinners are what most people rave about and so we booked in for both nights. When we booked in for dinner I told the cook I was vegetarian and he assured me it wouldn't be a problem. If it had been, we would just have gone to another place for dinner.
However on the first night. My vegetarian meal was given to another diner. The host did not notice I wasn't eating, it was only when another guest pointed it out that he came to see me. After a very long time, he came back with a plate of cheese and some cut tomato and told me I should have advised them I was vegetarian. When. I advised that I had, he did not apologise, or acknowledge they had given my meal away.
On the second night, I had high expectations that I might get a nice vegetarian meal. However the chef came to see me whilst we were at the table waiting for dinner to arrive to ask me what I wanted. I was a bit taken aback but as we had had several large meals I suggested a salad. However I was told I could have carrot and celery, which is what they delivered to me. It was the vegetable stew that was the accompaniment to the meat platter.
I understand I could have spoke to the owner and told him I was not happy but to be honest, based on what other people have posted, I thought he had a reputation of getting to know his guests and looking out for their enjoyment. I certainly do not feel he did this for us.
Maybe my experience was a one off but the comments from the party I was with was that the dinner was not the experience it used to be and for 37 euro per person, I am sure you could get much better value and a better experience elsewhere.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clare A
giampi1, Proprietario at Locanda Rosati, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to clarify a few points regarding this review of Locanda Rosati.

First and foremost, you are a returning guest and for this we are pleased
that you wanted to return and share your holiday with us again!
We have a large population of returning guests and you are one of them,
thank you for this compliment.

The air conditioning didn't work because of a large rain storm, which was
resumed when electricity was restored to the area within hours.
The temperature during that time was 21 degrees during the day and 15 degrees
at night.
It was comfortable and no one else complained about the air conditioning, as no
one was using it during these cool days and nights.

Regarding your meal. It seems by your review, that you were just served tomatoes and
cheese. You received an appetizer a first course of pasta, a second meal, dessert
and unlimited wine, liquors, coffee, teas etc. The price of the meal includes not only
the food but also wines (red and white) of unlimited portions.

You did not indicate your request for a vegetarian meal until you arrived prior to dinner
that evening. We did have another request for a vegetarian meal, this was for another guest.
We didn't serve them your meal. You were both given the same meal, however you
had an additional selection of cheeses (and not just mozzarella).

Regarding the tub, this room is located in a part of the Locanda, where the roof is somewhat slanted. We have
never received a complaint about this room, it is sometimes requested due to having the tub.
I understand you didn't like the room. If this was the case and we had another room, we would
gladly have offered it to you. We were sold out during your stay with us, so this was not possible.

Many thanks for returning to us at Locanda Rosati. I hope this explanation resolves any misunderstandings.
I hope we will have the occasion to host you again in the future!
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed here five years ago and it was wonderful to see that the place that we had so enjoyed then is now even better. The rooms have been updated, and the food is as great and fresh as we remembered. The rooms, which have names of animals, are comfortable and quite large with very modern bathrooms. The pool and grounds are peaceful and relaxing with lots of places to rest and enjoy a glass of wine. The dinner, which is served family style with other guests, is always a real treat and great value with novel dishes using local, fresh products and wines, as well as traditional after dinner drinks. The limoncello and grappa are quite amazing! The owner is very knowledgeable about the area and suggested that we visit a local hill town called Civita di Bagnoreggio, which turned out to be a real highlight of our trip.
Breakfast is pretty basic, although they will make hot egg dishes upon request and they make a great espresso. The staff is so accommodating; they make you feel like you are with family. Can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your good review and for choosing our Inn again!
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Welcome was warm, room spacious and clean. Family style dinner with other guests was fun. Distance to the center of Orvieto convenient. Nearby restaurant suggestion for grilled meats very good! Breakfast just okay...