All reviews great location top floor breakfast staff the piazza del popolo shower stall bit dated free wifi the hotel staff room was spacious yogurt exploring orvieto one night stay glass of wine lobby balcony town desk
Reviewed 3 June 2018

The one thing about the Grand Hotel Italia is that it is in the center of town and everything from shopping to restaurants to cathedrals is within short walking distance. The hotel itself is boutique, quaint and quite dated. It could use sprucing up. Rooms are ok, lobby was ok, breakfast and seating areas were all ok. The location, however, was great and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2018

The Grand Hotel Italia is close to the Piazza del Popolo and therefore very conveniently located. The only problem is that it´s very difficut to get there by car, especially on market days. Anyhow the staff helped us with this. As we visited in winter, it would have been nice to have a duvet instead of the typical sheet and bedspread, but the room was warm enough so it was ok. Lovely view over the city.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor which offers a great view.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2018

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past eight years and each time has been pleasant. The staff is always eager to help you and the rooms are clean and comfortable. They don’t have magnifying mirrors but do supply shampoo and a hair dryer. Breakfast is good and I enjoy sitting in the lobby with a glass of wine or a pot of camomile tea at night.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Donna S
Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

Right in the middle of Orvieto. Rooms are comfortable and quite. Nice patios to sit on and have a drink. Staff is great. A few of the minuses are: frugal breakfast, tiny shower and beds on the hard side. Pluses include staff, location and very quiet.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Spent several days at Hotel Italia with a student group in mid-July. It's a very comfortable, relaxing hotel, with a very good staff. Michelina and Paula were great to work with.
The location is a huge plus for Hotel Italia. You walk out the door, down about a block and boom - you're on the main pedestrian thoroughfare in Orvieto. Plus, my wife and I did a "pre-trip" visit, and were lucky enough to stay in one of the 500-numbered rooms with a beautiful terrace overlooking Orvieto. Waking up in the morning and relaxing on the terrace was a nice way to welcome the day.
The guest rooms are all pretty much centered around a main staircase, which is important as the elevators are somewhat small. Also, they only go up to the 4th floor, so if you're on the 5th, you need to walk up a couple very short flights of stairs.
The hotel's meeting rooms in the basement were okay. We actually asked for a cooler room for the final evening's session, and met in a very unique downstairs room that was actually a better meeting space for our group.
Breakfast is very good, but nothing to write home about. I will say that one of the breakfast staff got to know that I loved my "doppio espresso" every morning and would ask me when I sat down. The eggs and bacon were great, along with the meat, cheese, breads, croissants and jams...along with juices, yogurt, cereal, etc.
If you drive a car here, (which I'd recommend not doing), but just know they do have hotel parking however it's in a parking lot that for an American driver like me was like threading a needle, even driving a Fiat 500L! Not for the faint of heart with tight turns and very careful navigating in and out of their parking lot.
Hotel rooms themselves were nice, although a bit dated and older. There was no coffee in the room so I would sneak down to the breakfast room to grab a cup to bring up to my room before breakfast.
Very comfortable, large lounge-type lobby, and they obviously cater to high school and college groups, as a study group from SMU was on the tail end of a six-week stay, as we were beginning our time in Orvieto.
Orvieto is amazing and Hotel Italia is great place to stay while there.

Room Tip: Try to get a 500-numbered room, for the views, most have a terrace or balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business