“a magical experience”

Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Paestum
London, United Kingdom
“a magical experience”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

What a fabulous place and such kind owners. I managed to book them for completely the wrong day, yet they dealt with my mistake very considerately, and didn't charge me a penny extra for my own error. It is an enchanting place, set in pine woods by the sea, far removed from the worries of the world, and the fact that a nightingale sang in the trees nearby, though not actually laid on by the hotel, added even more atmosphere. A delicious dinner was served by the owners. Really, I couldn't fault it, and this is definitely the place you'll want to stay if you come to see the beautiful temples of Paestum. Parking was gloriously simple.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with air conditioning! .
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AAdolph

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Como, Italy
Reviewed 6 September 2011

i have never made such a bad vacation.i went there via smartbox for 4 nights.in smartbox fotos are very nice,everything is perfect,but in real nooooo.we made a very long trip to arrive there.first we entered a room,when i wanted to sleep i saw that bed was very dirty, there was blood stain, was very discusting, no air condioner,there was only fan that cant enough for its own.i went to reception, than we changed the room.2 nights we stayed 2th room and i have never seen such a hot room.turkish bath is cooler,after two nights we asked another room, it had air conditioner better. bath very very old like in other room.was smeeling very bed,bath was very bad. we made dinner 4 times there, smart box was inclused only breakfast.one time i had only insalate.and we paid more cos they made half pension without asking us.for an insalad discusting we paid 25 €!!!i dont wanna hear neather paestum nor salerno.sea was very dirty too

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank angel d

Travellers are raving about these Paestum hotels

Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 14 November 2010

I was in the beginnings of october in Paestum and spent few nights in this nice Arthotel Calypso. I went alone to Paestum, because I wanted to make some art studies there, inside the temples area, but in the familiar atmosphere of the hotel I never feel lonely. Gabriella and Roberto, the owners of this nice art hotel, didn´t gave me the impression of being an anonymous tourist. They both are able to speak english well, so for me with my rudimental italian knowledge, was a good possibility to collect new impressions about Paestum and his history, the region Cilento, the people, the way of life here.
The interior of Arthotel Calypso is like the name promise, full of art wherever your eyes settled down. There are pictures, sculptures...the entrance hall invites you to a little sight-seeing. Indeed the atmosphere of the hotel seems familiar.
Also the closeness to the beach, was what I enjoyed very much here. You just have to go a few steps out of the hotel garden and you feel the sand under your feet. And well – in october you are the owner of the beach! There were moments I was totally alone here, sitting in an old fishermans´ boat and watching when the sun went down. Afterwards I went back to hotel, where Gabriella, the owner of kitchen, suprised me with a delicious meal again. And after sitting by the fireside and spending the evening with a glass of red wine and a relaxing talk with Roberto and other guests, I went to my nice room with sea sight.
I can really recommand this hotel, not only for the friendlyness of the owners and for the nice and tasteful interior, but also for the really very good kitchen.The Hotel and his restaurant Che fresco depends to the organisation slow food. So it offers only fresh and regional products, real organic food. I enjoyed it!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Artemisia2011
Joinville, SC
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Me and my wife were surprised by the quality of the place. The owner is a very interesting person, very attentious and gentle. The hotel is kept by his family. We had the opportunity of staying in a very quiet and beautiful place, very close to the sea and from the archeological sites. We definitily recomend.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marcusad24
North Carolina
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Note before reading: I was only able to key in a ''very good'' rating, but this hardly describes our experience. Initial view from the outside was full of promise. Nice isolated quiet location, beach a few steps away. That's for the good news. The bad: Very persistent mosquitoes will bite you 30-40 times IN YOUR ROOM during sleep. There is no efficient door screen to keep them out...and if you close the balcony door/window, you will plainly not be able to sleep due to the heat and no air circulation. Only way to escape this is to try and convince to owner to transfer to a room with air conditioning for a steep premium in price. Prior to booking this hotel, we were told by the owners that the moskito problem was ''solved'' (after reading other reviews on the web about this problem) and that ''because the hotel is in a shaded area, A/C is not needed''. We regret not being any smarter about this as we lost valuable vacation time suffering from both the heat and mosquito bites. Their effect lasted for days. There are other places to stay in the area with A/C standard (and no bug issues). Eating is quite expensive also at this hotel. The owners boast a ''natural'' and ''healthy'' philosophy, which is in fact curious given the smoking habits of the owners and some staff. The food IS good and fresh, but at a price ranging from 25 to 30 Euros (excluding wine) per person, before they add 2 Euros per person cover charge. They will also add the 15% service tip charge. Problem is, you can find other restaurants where you will feast for 3-4 people INCLUDING WINE for the same price as the Calypso charges for one full course meal. Most other restaurants also use fresh-made pasta and offer out-of-this world pizza (something not even on the menu at the Calypso restaurant). To be totally fair in full disclosure, other restaurants do charge a cover fee, some of them as low as one euro, and some of them with no charge at all. But, given the fact that we were staying many nights at this hotel, and that there were only a handful of guest staying and eating in the mostly empty restaurant, I think it is unreasonable to add a cover charge, especially given the high prices for the meals. Unfortunately, breakfast was a big downer also. There is a plate of (orange?) cake on your assigned table each morning. Corn Flakes, sliced bread and bottled juice (no toaster). We had to get used to it as this menu remained unchanged for the length of our stay. The owner raves about the best Mozzarella capital status of the region, how about putting a square inches’ worth on the breakfast table once in awhile? Coffee was pretty awful also. I’m no coffee expert, but I’ve had coffee all over Italy, and frankly this sucks. If you feel that we regret our choice of a vacationing hotel, you are right. I just feel that this hotel has seen better days 40 years ago, when it was 10 years young, and that it wants to play ''wanna-be'' luxury accommodation with dated furniture and economy-style breakfast. About the room, its ok, but you had better like extra-extra-firm beds AND pillows. On the plus side, the owner is a walking encyclopaedia on Paestum. I wish he would have been more open to recommending other nearby places like Agropoli and their incredible - and cheap - restaurants. We ended up going there often, it is THE place to go for nice strolls in the evening, and filled with locals and families. Will reports on a couple of restaurants later that were just plain amazing, and not just for the price. Also, promised chairs and umbrella were unavailable for us, as we were told to grab one of the plastic chairs from the outside patio (you know the ones, upright and unfit for beach duty) and drag it ourselves onto the beach and return it after. How about investing in a few? All the other hotels have them left and right. Very sorry to leave a negative review, but if this helps the owners wake up and take notice, then it will have been worth it for future travellers. We are not overly fussy, just wanted the basics to be as promised.

Ending this review on a positive note, the location is pretty much ideal, if you can HAVE A RENTAL CAR with you. If not, you will feel pretty isolated. Hotel also feels pretty safe at night and has easy parking in front of the hotel.

Best feature of this hotel: Cleaning staff was very polite and efficient, we let them know of our appreciation with a tip upon leaving. As for the rest, you be the judge.

Nearby convenience store for water bottles and day-trip sandwiches.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple