“A real family friendly oasis....”

Oleandri Resort Paestum - Hotel Residence Villaggio Club
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Paestum
Reviewed 3 August 2011

What a pleasant surprise was this place. It has been years that we were looking it, but only this july we have had a chance actually to go. It has been a real holiday to me and my family (wife and two boys 7 and 2 years old) and wanderfull seven days rest. But, let me start:

- booking: the place is present into Bookings.com and some others on line bookings sites, but I booked directly trough theirs. We selected the period, the services and the accommodation (family bungalow) and we received the confirmation letter and a reminder few days before. Credit card was given for guaranty.

- trip/position: The actual position is near Capaccio/Paestum on the main coastal way from Salerno to Agropoli and only 3km actually from the Paestum Temples. Although it is full of hotels, pensions and resorts it was not a big deal to find it. The resort itself is some 200m of Mediterranean pine wood away from a several km long beach.

- accommodation: The structure is developed from the main building where the reception is, where some 20 hotel rooms are, a bar, hall and theater. After it trough the Oleandri wood, full of colorful flowers you pass by the restaurant area, pool, miniclub, apartments, buildings on 2 levels that have those family rooms and finally bigger buildings with larger suites and parking. The entire area is pleasant and with a lot of real shade to protect you from a very strong sun, allover linked by stone path and the overall impression is very harmonic and summery. Our family room was the 111 on the back side of the pool in front of the bigger buildings. Silent, clean and fresh with our personal terrace, palm three, table and chairs it was composed by the entrance with kitchen (having a couch, dining table, TV, fridge, kitchen area with water), bathroom (shower, a place where to wash the belongings, hairdryer, bidet, WC and sink) and a bedroom (with a king bed, small bed for Marco and baby cot for Dani, as well as a large cabinet and some shelves). Although it is not the most newest issue, our temporary home has and appeal of cleanness and happiness, it has been only few moments to feel it "ours".

- food: This would deserve a long chapter, but it is a review and I have to cut it. One word, SUPERB. We book a half board formula, so breakfast and dinner and we haven't made a mistake. The restaurant has a covered place with the buffet and tables, an open air terrace, an open air grill/pizza kitchen and a place for a piano bar. Everybody was so friendly and kind, any our request was fulfilled and even a birthday surprise to my wife was made. The buffet for breakfast offer all the traditional Italian sweet things among milk, yogurts, jams, croissants, french toasts, as well as a lot of fruit and a corner for continental things like omelets, bacon, sausages and cheeses. Unlike elsewhere we were able to pick something more and make a sandwiches for the lunch time, we were able to ask more, espresso coffee, we were able to ask more certain fruit and we did enjoy them. For the lunch you were able to pick something quick on the two internal and a beach bar, as well as order a pizza eventually. Dinner was a good point starting from the atmosphere. Candles, flowers, real play music, and a menu of a five star restaurant. Every day we were given a list of courses for the following day, but we have had a chance to vary and choose all things we would need for us and the kids. Delicious was every single plate and the grilled fish/meat as well as mozzarella were fantastic. A large variety of entry courses was served on the buffet, but we have never waited to much for the service. Very, very good.

- entertainment and activities: The place itself is not a huge thing, but the ambients are well balanced. You were able to enjoy the sun in the pool (very nice, huge, with a place for kids, a deep space to swim and an Jacuzzi with waterfall), or on the beach (equipped with umbrellas and sun chairs in several rows up to the sea) without being bothered by the animation. The boys and girls were present but discrete, and very helpful upon request. The best was their attention to the kids during baby club hours and on the evening baby dance, I was surprised of how they were able to join kids from all over Europe and Russia. They have the daily activities plan and you can easily choose want to do or not, as well as the final show every evening on the main stage near the reception. Yes, the reception, Gianluca and the girls were nice and helpful explaining where to go for supermarkets, what to see or do, and they introduced me to the owner of the place, a very nice lady I have to say. What is remarkable is that this "familiar" atmosphere was always present and it was what we enjoyed most.

- final consideration: Oleandri resort welcomes a large number of Italians, as well as a lot of people from Northern Europe and Russia. My vote is 10, and even a small things that can disturb are not counted after such a good journey and people. It is worth of visiting for the service, place, food, sun and this familiar mood that you meet everywhere. I would recommend it to people that need a vacation and a rest with their children, that need sun and sea, and a remarkable food. Yes, I am so happy about it, that's why I am writing this , and I will try to return next year.

Savo Vulevic, MIlano, Italia

1  Thank Savovu

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Friendly, clean, relaxing and cool. Excellent family run hotel where the concerns for the guests is a high priority. Our kids - age 4 and 6 - loved every second so much at the hotel, that they preferred the pool and the staff in stead of the beach - 200 meters through a pittoresque pine wood. We booked through venere.com and booked the apartment on 1. floor around the pool with kitchen. In total 80 very nicely cleaned and spacey apartments filled with friendly, mainly Italian families with teenagers and babies. The Maragu-staff (love you!) had their heart at the right place concerning entertainments for kids - and adults:-). Cool yoga-class for moms and aqua-gymnastics every day. Nice restaurant and very friendly staff with Napolian pizza-owen, when it's best. Our best recommendation to you readers from Faber, Denmark.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

Our first time in south italy With our tree children age 5, 12 and 14. We experienced very high standards With the rooms and the sorrounding facilities such as the garden, the swimming pool and the private beach. Everything was kept clean and in order. The kids loved the big swimming pool, and it was really relaxing to be parents, not only because of the nice pool, but also because of the safeguards present there and on the beach. Inside facitilities and outside facilities like restaurants, garden and stage for entertainment is closed integrated to eachother. The area was for guests and people who works there so it felt safe to let the children a bit out of sight. At last we have to mention our most speciall impression, and it is the owners and all the staff. We feel that they have developed a speciall culture for service, hospitality and management. We felt welcome and special and in some ways part of the family who runs the place. We are planning to come back already next summer. Best regards from Tone, Nils - Ivar, Vilde, Helle og Amund - Emil from Norway

1  Thank Tone1968
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Paestum is a small village South of Naples with the BEST greek archeological attractions in the world, and Oleandri is a perfect resort either to visit them or to enjoy the wonderful beaches of the Mediterrenean Sea.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We travel on a tight budget but decided to splurge and stay in this resort. It was a memorable experience. It is a short drive to the Greek temples of Paestum. The huge pool was wonderful. My children and I enjoyed swimming there. Then we walked a short distance through the pine forest to the sandy beach where tables and chairs were set up. The sea was warm. The oleaders were in bloom giving a wonderful a scent and colour. The staff must have to work constantly to keep the grounds so impeccably tidy. Dinner in the dining room was delicious. I had crepes and then wonderful aubergines with tomatoes and mozzarella cooked in layers. Dessert was mille feuilles Italian style. The rooms are in buildings in the gardens around the pool. There was complete kitchen. I appreciated the drying rack on the balcony to dry our towels, bathing suits and laundry. Breakfast was a buffet. We boiled our eggs and ate croissants and canteloup. It was a great stay and one of nicest of a month in Italy.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We came the weekend the season was supposed to open and to tell you the truth, I was not impressed. Here's why:
Front desk lady would not accept my fiancé's NATO ID instead of a passport, even though I had my passport. His command had taken his passport for a "hold period" because he was new to Italy. But we had not had any trouble using his NATO ID at the other three hotels we stayed at. When I asked what else we could use, she said "nothing" and when I asked to speak to a manager, she said with a condescending smile that she was the manager. I finally pulled out his state id and his Italian drivers and she took those. Why all the trouble? When I went to the desk later to ask if they had internet she was also very rude.
There's a young trani that works there entertaining the kids, even though we told her/him that we didn't' speak Italian, he/she came up to talk to us several times, telling her/him the same thing every time "No Parlo Italiano". He/she also kept staring at my fiancé. I know staring isn't uncommon there, but it was kind of strange.
The beach was nice, bathrooms clean, but it looked like the hotel (employees) drew a line in the sand on either side of their part of the beach and refused to pick up any garbage on either side. Even if it was an inch away. There were two big piles of trash 2 feet away from the "line". It was disappointing.
Dinner was good but our waitress got very impatient at the fact that we spoke very bad Italian. We only waited on us for the first course. I explained to our next waiter that I didn't eat meat and to please just give me vegetables. Which they did, but I'm sure that they cooked the veggies right away and left them sitting out until my Fiancé was served because they were room temperature when I got them.
Last part and weirdest:
I had accidentally left out my personal massager, probably under the covers, while my fiancé and I went out for the day. House keeping came and went while we were gone and when I looked for it later that night we couldn't find it. Gone. We checked it that night and the next day. We tore the room apart. I'm embarrassed and very confused.
To bad. The hotel was very nice looking, very clean and in a good area. Everyone else's reviews seem to be good. I assume we just came on a bad weekend, maybe someone passed away or they did lay offs that week or something.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lertrav
Reviewed 25 July 2009

It was a lovely site, with a wonderful pool and facilities for young children and for people who want to be organized. The whole place was clean and tidy and quite peaceful considering the number of people there. The apartment felt secluded despite the proximity of neighbours, which was nice. However.....there was no information in the rooms (seems to be an Italian trait) or in the reception area about the hotel itself. We missed out on our breakfast because I'd forgotten it was included and the receptionist never mentioned it or the breakfast times. However, I realise I should have asked about it, so it's my fault. We were told on arrival about the cost of the table d'hote dinner and that we could pay for individual courses if that was all we wanted, but when we ate that evening, the head waiter had no idea of the prices. We felt rushed and our coffees were lukewarm, so we didn't eat in again (would recommend the Nettuno restaurant at Paestum remains). Finally, the tools in the kitchen (apart from eating cutlery which was fine) consisted of a bread knife, tongs and a fish slice! We had to buy a bottle opener and slice cheese very thinly as there was no grater. Places in France and Spain where we have stayed, were much better equipped. Note for those affected by them - there were lots of mosquitoes, although we kept them out of our apartment on the whole successfully. My conclusion is it's probably acceptable for young families and to be fair, we never felt hassled in any way, but it wasn't our ideal and was also rather expensive for what we got out of it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family