“Poor customer service - wouldn't recommend it”
Review of Colonna Resort

Colonna Resort
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Porto Cervo
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Hotel has a pleasant pool complex and is reasonably nicely decorated. However, the consistently poor customer service and overpriced food mean that I definitely wouldn't return.

Customer service:

- Really bizarre and unpleasant experience in the indoor pool/ spa complex downstairs. I asked the girl on the spa reception if the indoor pool was open. She then showed me to it and left. Looking for a changing room, I then walked towards a door at the back of the room, and was then quite rudely approached by her and her colleague, who told me I couldn't enter, and that there wasn't one. I then spent about 5 minutes sitting in the indoor pool/ jacuzzi, got cold, and got out and started toweling off. The first receptionist then approached me again and asked to see my 'free card'. I told her that I didn't know what this was, and she told me that to use the indoor pool, sauna, etc, you were expected to pay a supplement of €30. I asked her why she didn't tell me this when I came in - she didn't answer and her colleague sneered at me. The first woman then walked off and came back with a brochure detailing the supplement and treatments available. I told her again that they should have made this clear, and left.

- Witnessed two of the waiting staff at breakfast having an argument and swearing at each other

- Reception staff were generally abrupt, both on check in and in response to questions during stay (e.g re. shuttle bus)

- Used the ironing service before dinner for 2 shirts and 2 small dresses, asked for immediate return, this took well over an hour, no apology from reception staff. If you're wondering why they don't have an iron in the room, this service cost about 30€, so I think that's your answer...

- General standard of English quite poor among hotel staff

Food:

- Evening meal overpriced (around €70 per head for the set menu, more a la carte). Food was largely edible, if bland, but low points included a seafood salad that was 3 limp prawns on a bed of lettuce, and a melted ice-cream.

- Lunch time food in the beach restaurant incredibly overpriced, and service slow/ forgetful even when there were few customers. It took them over 45 minutes to bring my boyfriend a lemon sorbet.

- Breakfast selection was good, table service quite quick for coffees etc.

Location/ Other

- Liked the pool complex - it was quiet and pleasant. Clifftop location means you get a nice breeze

- Private beach is extremely small, and largely made up of wooden decking next to the water - would recommend hiring a car and going further afield

- Ditto for going to Porto Cervo - there is no return shuttle bus in the evening, and they only run approx 3 times per day, so hire a car

- Hotel was unusually quiet for early August, so if you're looking for a buzzing atmosphere, avoid it

In summary, I won't return and I wouldn't recommend it. Ironically, I'd read comments on tripadvisor before I went about customer service, and had put the negative comments down to people not speaking Italian, or having overly high expectations. Trust me - they're justified..

Room Tip: Check not above reception - ours was a couple of floors up, and we could hear the phones ringing...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jo L
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

as Manager of Colonna Resort ,

I am very sorry to read your negative review to our hotel, so far from those that usually we have, that I think to read things related to another hotel.

I'd like to get the details of your stay, to better understand what might have happened and when,

because:

The prices don't are those charged by us, the misunderstandings, like what you do not have rye and habitual behavior and courtesy of employees and their English normally receive many compliments, as well as kitchen and restaurant, as you can see also on other TripAdvisor reviews.

I'm very Sorry to receive only now this news that you have suffered, because I wanted to have the opportunity to remedy some way.

It seems very strange Your consideration referring to the comments on TripAdvisor, because when you submit the review of this hotel is ranked 1°in Porto Cervo, for the reviews on TripAdvisor, also if it is true that there are also negative, but especially in recent years, the level of customer satisfaction has increased greatly, and we continually look to improve and enhance the services for the guests.

Hoping to give you a warm welcome back to Porto Cervo, and remain at your disposal for any need or request,

Thank you and Best Regards.

Colonna Resort 5 *****

There are newer reviews for Colonna Resort

Reviewed 16 August 2011

Beautiful hotel, fantastic food, great location, a high leve hotel.
I stay normal in july and august in Porto Cervo. I was in all 5 stars HOTELS in costa smeralda.
This year i wanted to try this new hotel, great surprise, it's fantastic, definitely the best.
The kitchen and the restaurant Are the best that I've tried.

• Stayed: August 2011

as Manager of the Colonna Resort, I can take this opportunity to send the

I send you a special thanks from all the staff, which has been honored to serve you during your stay with us.

We hope to have again as dear guest, to try to give you an even better treatment, in all sense.

We hope to give you again Welcome to Porto Cervo, and remain at your disposal for any need or request,

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Colonna Resort…a dream come true! God give Sardinia to the humans to have an example of what haven is…Colonna Resort is the place where you will feel a little god!
With the best manager I ever meet - Antonio - you will have the best accommodation you ever dream and also you will have Sardinia at yours feet.
Perfect room, perfect clean, perfect atmosphere! The pool is a piece of Sardinia’s sea on the land!
The restaurant and the bar take you to a trip around Mediterranean, very good buffets with top quality food!
What is missing?! Me….again

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Friendly Staff, specially Antonia at the reception.

However the food is terrible.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank arefelaref
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

as Manager of the Colonna Resort, I can take this opportunity to send the
thanks for have dedicated your time to write a nice review about your stay at Colonna Resort, and for the compliments that you've turned to our Staff.

I don't understand why you have a different opinion about our kitchen, because we had only compliments on our kitchen, always, and continue to have every day, as can be read by all other TripAdvisor reviews.

In three years, we have only compliments from all our guests for the delicious food.
I'm very disappointed to read only now your complaint on the kitchen, because if I got this news during your stay, I can wanted to try to satisfy you.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Loved it, the service was great, clean and tidy. very friendly staff. nice atmosphere, and beach and pool were great

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mtughar
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Reviewed 1 August 2011

We are just back from a 7 day trip in Sardinia , i was in July on 15th where we stayed 6 nights in the Colonna Resort Hotel. The hotel is spotless and beautifully decorated. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was pool side, which I requested (so was lucky to get) based on a previous review. The staff are very nice and pleasant, helpful and attentive, for any problemes they have answered. The director Stefan Lai is a very good manager.He stayed to manage also the breakfast, where is a simple continental affair but very nice with fresh fruit, bread and the usual cold meat and cheese, healthy food.
I was last year, this year and i will go with pleasure also next year at the same hotel.

Adrian Iliescu from Romania

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Dear Guest,

I remember you very well, as our repeater special-guest.

Thanks for the compliments, that you send always to us.

I can take this opportunity to send the thanks for have dedicated your time to write a nice review about your stay at Colonna Resort, and for the compliments that you've turned to our hotel and all the Staff.

I hope to see you soon, and I send you my Best Regards.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

My girlfriend and I just got back from our trip in Porto Cervo, stayed at the beautiful Colonna Resort. We really got lucky with our choice as we knew little about the island. What a great hotel and even a better staff! The hotel was perfectly located, and priced right, in the Costa Smeralda area. Close to all the prestine beaches in northern Sardinia. The salt water pools were just right, and the small private hotel beach gave us the opportunity to stay away from the larger crowds. Rooms were cleaned twice a day, delicious restaurant, large beakfast buffet with all the trimmings including complimentary prosecco (good way to start the day) and even a bar which served delicious cocktails I've never even heard of until midnight. The staff really MADE OUR STAY :)) They were super friendly and always willing to give us pointers on which beaches to visit, and why it's better to rent a car than take a taxi in Sardinia;) If it wasn't for the helpful staff we would have been lost on this island. I want to write a special thanks to Mr. Anotnio Cossu, who did everything he could for us to make our romantic stay just how we imagined it. Excellent restaurant and sight-seeing recommendations, and a great sense of humor. Definetely recommend this hotel for couples and families. We hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: The sea views from the rooms with balconies were magnificent and worth the money
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrei79
Stefano-Lai, Direttore at Colonna Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

as Manager of the Colonna Resort, I can take this opportunity to send the

I send you a special thanks from all the hotel staff, which has been honored to serve you during your stay with us.

We hope to have again as dear guest, to try to give you an even better treatment.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Porto Cervo
Cervo Hotel, Costa Smeralda Resort
Airone Hotel
Airone Hotel
#1 of 22 in Baia Sardinia

Been to Colonna Resort? Share your experiences!