“Not a 5 star hotel!”

Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Porto Cervo
Ljubljana
“Not a 5 star hotel!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We are used to stay in 5 star hotels and this one is definitely not a 5 star hotel. The advantages of this hotel are that they have a lot of pools and a private beach. Definitely a plus in Porto Cervo. However the breakfast and the place where they serve breakfast is as in a 3 star hotel. Service is really bad. You have to wait and wait for everything, being a coffee in the morning or a cocktail on the hotel terrace in the evening. Hotel is remotely located and you definitely need a car. The prices in the hotel are the only thing you would find in a 5 star hotel.

3 Thank Maja05
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Mrs. “ Maja05 “,

as General Manager of the Colonna Resort , I take this opportunity to say thank You to choosing our hotel,

and I also thank You for taking Your time to write this review regarding Your stay with us.

I say thank You also for Your considation regarding our pools and our Private Beach.

Certainly this is our strengths, for sure the better in Porto Cervo (as You have wrote), but also our service is often considered the same.

We are sorry to read that instead You didn't have that impression.

Including the breakfast service, at level 1, in front of the swimming pools and the sea, where we are renovating spaces to improve this service.

In any case We will try to monitor all our services, also better than as we do, already, on daily, to be sure to meet the expectations of all our guests.

Best Regards .

Porto Cervo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Czech first
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My best friend and I stayed 5 nights at the Resort in early July 2013. This was my 2nd trip to Sardenia and my friend's first. The hotels can be very expensive in Porto Cervo, but we found this to be reasonably priced and very close to Porto Cervo. A car is mandatory if you want to explore the island and preferred if you want to stay at this resort. When we arrived we were initially disappointed in our room which seemed small for the two of us to share. The front desk Manager came up with a terrific solution and was able to put us in two rooms with an adjoining hall for an additional price, but very reasonable. She took great effort in to make sure we remained at the resort and were more comfortable with our rooms. We couldn't have been happier. We had the most terrific view of the yachts going into port, the beautiful and refreshing 5 swimming pools and the small but lovely private beach. We thought this was reason enough to know we were going to enjoy our stay. Yet, it gets better. After checking in and sorting out our room situation, we went to the bar for a libation. We were met by the Bar Manager, Marco Fiore who was fantastic! He made us feel welcomed, fixed our martinis the way we liked them and overall took special care to be professional, gracious and kind. The bar is in a beautiful location on the property with a view that goes on for miles and a breeze in the air. More so, Marco made us feel like royalty. We started every evening and ended most evenings only to see Marco and his wonderful staff that made us feel special and appreciated. Furthermore, the front desk staff were very nice to us, in spite of our initial disappointment with the room. Every time we were in the lobby area, all parties went of their way to greet us or ask about our adventures. Not to mention, every recommendation turned out to be very good and well worth the effort. I would absolutely return to this property. I can only hope the original staff will still be there. Thanks to all!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Mr. “Terra L “,

as General Manager of the Colonna Resort , I take this opportunity to say thank You to choosing our hotel and I also thank You for taking Your time to write this beautiful review regarding Your stay with us and for Your appreciations for the hotel, for the bars, for the staff.

I send to You one special thanks by Mr. Marco, the Bar Manager, and by Denisa, the Front Office Manager, they say me, it was a very pleasure to serve You.

We hope to give You again a most cordial Welcome to Porto Cervo and we remain at Your disposal for any need or request.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

As far as luxury 5 star hotel at 5 star prices, this place misses the mark.... The grounds and the views are great. This hotel has potential...they miss this mark in certain areas.... Restaurant service was so bad we left after 40 minutes without so much as bread being served....we had the good fortune of meeting a gentleman named Marco Fiore who was fantastic.. He turned a nitemare into a funny positive experience.. Great bartender and he brought us a basic snack from the bar to eat at dinner. As it was late by now. Pool bar fellows Andrea and his crew were also great and helpful.... The spa is great except for the fact that the masseuse was way to in experienced, and for spa prices they badly missed the mark... If you charge 5 star rates make sure the guests get a 5 star experience..... All in all a great and lovely place but certain areas need improvement. The rooms were clean and great attention paid to house keeping, although laundry service is way out of order. Half a pillow case of clothes was 117 euros... That was the biggest joke of all.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike Z
Dear Mr. “Mike Z“,

as General Manager of the Colonna Resort , I take this opportunity to say thank You to choosing our hotel and I also thank You for taking Your time to write This review regarding Your stay with us and for Your appreciations for the hotel, for the bars, for the panorama, for the gardens, the rooms and for the cleaning .

I'm sorry that You have not enjoyed the service of the restaurant, because normally It's considered, by all guests, at the same level, but also more high level of all the other services of the hotel.

I don’t understand the phrase “Half a pillow case of clothes was 117 euros”, because this price isn’t for a pillow case, but also not for a clothes, the price it’s more down.

In any case we will try to monitor all our services , even better than as we already do on daily, to be even more sure to meet the expectations as that You hast wrote.

I take this opportunity to send my Best Regards.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2013

my wife and i stayed 5 night at the Resort. The rooms were clean and comfortable except the bath/shower, too small, shower in bath not good. We slept particularly well as we had a room well away from the lift and the curtains kept out the light and Air Con worked very well.
The staff at the Pool bar and cocktail bar were very good and efficient, which was a vast contrast to the staff in the restaurant.
The water areas are terrific, both the pool area and the beach, especilally the decking are by the sea, we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Now for the restaurant, what an experience, terrible, from start to finish. We ordered wine, it took 20 minutes to arrive, and after three requests. the staff were more interested in serving water or standing around chatting, over what I have no idea. When the food came, a four course meal, it was shovelled into us from getting the first course to the last was about 45 minutes, too rushed. The food was mixed, the first and last course were ordinary, tasteless and plain, I was disappointed. The bean soup was terrific as was the Chicken. All in all, I would recommend the resort, lunch at the pool bar but avoid the restaurant.

Room Tip: away from lift.
Dear Guest,

as General Manager of the Colonna Resort , I take this opportunity to say thank You to choosing our hotel and I also thank You for taking Your time to write This review regarding Your stay with us and for Your appreciations as :
- “The rooms were clean and comfortable”;
- “We slept particularly well”;
- “Air Con worked very well”;
- “The staff at the Pool bar and cocktail bar were very good and efficient”;
- “the pool area and the beach,especilally the decking are by the sea,we thoroughly enjoyed it
- “I would recommend the resort”.

I'm sorry to read, instead, of the restaurant, because normally we receive many compliments for all the dishes (not just for some, as You report) and also for the service.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We were changed at the last minute from the Colonna Pevero hotel, and having read the previous reviews on Trip Advisor were somewhat worried about what to expect. Well, we were pleasantly surprised and had a very enjoyable stay. Okay, it's not luxury - there was no poolside service, for example, but overall it was very good. The staff were helpful throughout, especially the waiters at breakfast , and the bar staff, and also the maids - the rooms were very clean, and there was an excellent turn down service in the evenings where they also changed towels and generally tidied. The gym was okay, hotel gyms are never great in my experience, and the only complaint is that there were never any towels first thing in the morning, and sometimes no water. It would be better if whoever opened up the gym in the morning also made sure it was stocked up.
The pools were attractive but it was too windy to sit around due to their position; the beach, although small, was nice and shelter and a much better place to sit.
The breakfast was very good, a by good choice and plenty of it. We only ate in the restaurant once, but the food was excellent.
You do need a car to stay in this resort, otherwise you are limited as to where you can eat. Overall we had a very enjoyable time.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Voyagerthefirst
Stefano-Lai, Direttore generale at Colonna Resort, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest,

and I also thank You for taking Your time to write this review regarding Your stay with us and for Your appreciations for our hotel, for the staff, kitchen, breakfast and for the service in general.

We hope to give You again a most cordial Welcome to Porto Cervo and we remain at Your disposal for any need or request,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is not a 5 star luxury hotel compared to other luxury hotels charging similar rates around the world. It has great potential, beautiful sea views, lovely pools, friendly service from staff and we found it very clean, but misses the mark on some important stuff.

A good nights sleep must be the most basic requirement of a luxury hotel. Unfortunately in our sea view room we had an incredibly hard uncomfortable bed, two hard synthetic pillows provided (the stuffing falling out of a tear in the side of one) and very stiff scratchy bed linen (I slept with a sarong around my legs at one stage as the sheets were making me itch). Half way through our week I was suffering from poor sleep and and waking with severe neck pains every morning so asked reception for a softer pillow (in hindsight we probably should have asked for a room with a softer bed although not sure they had any). They gave me a feather and down pillow which was an improvement. At these prices high quality beds, linen and pillows should be standard in all rooms, not provided only on request.

Breakfast was disappointing. Very basic.

No pool-side service, no doorman, no tea and coffee making facilities in rooms.

This is a nice hotel on the surface and perhaps Italian holiday makers like rock hard beds etc, or maybe they get special cheaper room rates than foreigners. However at the price we paid the hotel does not provide good value for money and I would struggle to recommend it. That and the fact that after returning to London 3 days ago my neck and back are still in pain from the worst weeks sleep I've had in a long time.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the restaurant.
1 Thank aburnsie
Dear Guest,

as General Manager of the Colonna Resort , I take this opportunity to say thank You to choosing our hotel and I also thank You for taking Your time to write a review regarding Your stay with us and for Your appreciations as :

- “beautiful sea views”;
- “lovely pools”;
- “friendly service from staff”;
- “very clean”;
- “This is a nice hotel”.

I'm sorry, instead, of during your stay you have not slept well, because, as you wrote, when someone ask a different type of pillow or mattress, we always try to replace it for finding one that best suits the needs of every guest.

The mattresses and pillows that are supplied as standard media are usually the ones most acceptable, for different necessity (harder, soft) we have other variants, to satisfy every need.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

From the moment you drive in through the hotels drive way you are reminded that the Colonna is a 5 Star Luxury Resort.

Walk down the passage and the statement is emblazoned on the mirrors. Get into the lift and it states the same mantra on the carpet. Pick up the cosmetics in the bathroom and the same message is clearly captioned in the hope that if they tell you enough times you will eventually believe it.

The sad fact is however that they do not understand the word Luxury nor do they comprehend the concept of 5 Star

Luxury hotels do not offer guests bath towels the size of face flannels nor do they ask you to help save the world by allowing them to cut the cost of their laundry bill when it comes to changing those towels daily.

In a 5 star hotel the bed sheets and pillow cases are of linen, the pillows are of soft down plucked from a goose and the mattresses are not made to withstand the weight of a ten ton truck.

Luxury defines a level of service so a simple request for an item from housekeeping should not take 90 minutes to be delivered to the room following a telephone call to reception.

The sprawling hotel is at least clean and has a pretty view across a splendid swimming pool complex but a view and a swimming pool do not a 5 star luxury resort make.

Go, pay your mega bucks, it is after all Porto Cervo so you must be able to afford it otherwise you would spend your money more wisely.

Enjoy your self besides the pool but remember the only 5 stars you will be sure of experiencing are those on the printed hotel stationery

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank BolshyNomad
Dear Mr. " BolshyNomad " ,

“hotel is at least clean and has a pretty view across a splendid swimming pool complex”.

I'm sorry to read instead of the other things you've written and I'll explain why:
- What You read on the glasses is the brand of our hotel chain that is "Colonna Luxury - ITI Hotels" and it's printed on the glass to prevent that to avoid that people banging, being transparent, it's a question of law, but also of common understanding , is also printed on all cosmetics in the bathroom as in all hotels around the world, especially belonging to hotels chains;
- The size and quality of the linen, are those of the highest standards, I'm sorry that You didn't found Your liking;
- Normally, the requests to housekeeping department, it's processed faster than 90 minutes and we don't have reports of similar waitings.

We hope to give You, again, a most cordial Welcome to Porto Cervo and we remain at Your disposal for any need or request.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Porto Cervo
#2 of 14 in Santa Margherita di Pula
Airone Hotel
Airone Hotel
#1 of 23 in Baia Sardinia

Been to Colonna Resort? Share your experiences!