Grand Hotel in Porto Cervo
US$503
US$456
Balocco Hotel(Porto Cervo)(Great Value!)
US$632
US$307
US$489
Hotel Luci di La Muntagna(Porto Cervo)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$129
  • Breakfast included
Cervo Hotel, Costa Smeralda Resort(Porto Cervo)(Great Value!)
US$311
Hotels.com
Colonna Resort(Porto Cervo)
US$329
US$320
Hotel Petra Bianca(Porto Cervo)(Great Value!)
US$281
US$273
Hotel Le Ginestre(Porto Cervo)(Great Value!)
US$240
US$213
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsorange restaurantsardinia yogayoga holidaycleaning ladylarge poolbig bedfantastic sea viewsprivate beachlovely hotelfree ferrygarden rooma bit tiredfantastic stayhire carbeach restauranttown centreboat trip
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I echo what a earlier contributor said about this hotel. It is definitely not 4 star! Granted, the rooms are large, the pool is fabulous. the beach side bar with the lounges is great and the Orange restaurant is superb, but apart from that that, it falls behind what I consider to be a great hotel, esp as the hotel I stayed at in Paris the weekend after was only 3 star, and was STREETS ahead of the Gran Hotel. Here a few brief shortcomings:

- TV in room. Old and antiquated. No CNN either.
- Linen. One towel only and hand towels. I would expect more from a quality hotel.
- Smell. My room was next to where toilet waste was processed so the toilet had a rather strong odour.
- Staff. Level of English was quite average and so was the welcome to the hotel. In fact, we rang the hotel when we were stranded at a beach after a cab driver would not pick us up and when we rang the hotel we were told there was no one on the desk who could speak English! It wasn't obvious what were the hotel's facilities and what was available, eg use of beach towels.
- Breakfast. Very little variety offered and hot food selection was poor.
- Beach. I was charged 30 EUROS for sun bed at the hotel's beach. Granted, the hotel does not own the beach or have exclusive rights, but there should be at least some arrangement for hotel guests.
- Bar side food. As one member noted, very poor selection of foods on offer.

Overall, this came across as a tired hotel which lives and feeds off the reputation of Porto Cervo. Its desperately in need of a refit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Scottyr1977
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We have just returned from the best holiday we have ever had. The hotel was great the service was outstanding and the food at the Orange Restaurant was incredible. I had read reviews that said some negative points such as no showers by the pool which was incorrect, there are 2 heated showers to use.Towels are provided to use at the pool and there was never a struggle to get a sunbed. The beach club was very reasonably priced compared to other beach clubs we have been to in Spain.This is one hotel that we will definitely return to again 5 stars to all the staff and many thanks for a brilliant holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CoraWilliams
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have just come back from staying at this hotel and unfortunately I would agree with the reviews we read about the bedrooms. We stayed in a classic room which was very dated and smelled musty and damp!The bathroom was a disgrace! Awful shower and poor lightening! In fact we were so disappointed with the room that we asked for another room but were told the hotel was full! Having said that, the pool area and the staff of the hotel were very helpful and friendly. A special mention must be made of the Orange restaurant and their lovely staff. We were half board and ate every evening in the restaurant and can honestly say we found the food and service excellent. We enjoyed our holiday in this beautiful area of Sardinia and met some lovely people.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank CandGEngland
Reviewed 16 August 2013

On Thursday 27 June I travelled with a friend to Sardinia to experience: "Sardinia" Yoga," in the North of the Island at Porto Cervo, and its 4 star hotel, The Grand Hotel.

We decided to stay for 4 nights, giving us 3 days of yoga and relaxation. You can pick and choose your dates and the length of your stay. The normal yoga week runs from a Saturday to Saturday, so we met 4 teachers and 2 groups of fellow yogis.

We had to arrange our own flights and flew from Gatwick to Olbia, on Easy Jet. Sardinia Yoga arranged the rest, including transfers, accomodation and breakfast and brunch. Bottled water was provided free of charge and was in the room on arrival.

Friday was our first day of Yoga. Yoga began at 8am till 10am, just after a very light breakfast.

My first teacher was Olga Kumaran a wonderful spiritual teacher who taught a strong vinyasa class. This consisted of numerous powerful sun salutations and variations, a great hip opening sequence with pigeon pose, cow face pose legs, and double pigeon, and some strong inversions including handstand and the wheel/crab. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the relaxation at the end! Particularly so as, while in Savasana, Olga massaged the back of our necks, temples and foreheads with scented oils - A beautiful touch.

Vinyasa Yoga took place on the lower yoga deck, (there were 2 decks). The wooden decks were painted white, and the whole deck was covered in a white awning/voil to protect us from the warm rays of the sun. Mats, belts and blocks were also provided.

Then came a buffet brunch: lovely food and juices, ranging from melon, pineapple and grapes, to mozerella and basil salads drizzled in oil; to scrambled eggs and meats, quiches, rice dishes and cheeses and breads. Something for vegetarians and vegans and meat eaters too. The teachers and other yogis all sat together at this time.

The rest of the day was ours to explore the island, lounge by the beautiful pool and bar, and do our own thing.

On the second day I joined the vinyasa class again, with Olga. Later, we arranged with another teacher Dan Gelbium, who was going to teach the Hatha class from Saturday, to give us a group workshop on opening the hips. This was arranged for 4pm and was 60 Euros, shared between the 6 of us that attended. Dan used his own hatha yoga techniques, consisting of fine movements, to increase the body's openness and flexibility. A very informative and different class - highly recommended.

My final teacher was Jennifer Ellis, who was very welcoming and peaceful. Again this was a strong vinyasa class. She had some lovely individual touches like lifting the front toes up and back heel up in parvottanasana, intensifying the stretches to the hamstrings and calves; and a well crafted warrior sequence.

We arranged another workshop with Dan; this time on opening the shoulders. Again, lovely soft and flowing movements were used to realign and create space in the body. This was very powerful workshop and really did me good.

So the good things: The yoga and teaching were very good; the hotel and rooms were lovely, comfortable and secure. The weather was warm and sunny at 30 degrees everyday. The pool was quiet and relaxing. The food was delicious and plentiful. The local restaurant Hivaoa was delicious, friendly and highly recommended too.

What was not so good for me was that there were other hotel guests, who were not involved in yoga, staying at the hotel. They were a little bit loud in the evenings, but luckily I had packed my earplugs. This wouldn't be a problem if you were looking to stay up late and party and hang with the cool crowd.

By the end of the long weekend, I left feeling happy, relaxed, healthy and strong; and I would love to visit again very soon.

The cost, without spending money, for 4 nights, was £475 per person for bed, breakfast and brunch and 2 hours of yoga a day. 30 Euros per person each way, for taxi transfers to the hotel from the airport at Olbia. Flights were around £160 return per person.

Room Tip: Ground floor away from the hotel were better than those over the restaurant and main block of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank FayeKoeYoga
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Having just returned from The Grand Hotel in Porto Cervo, we decided to write a review for others to view and make up their own minds once they have read a few of these. So this is our take on this partiular hotel.

The hotel is rated as 4* but in our opinion it is not. However there are some factors which some guests will enjoy and consider 4* and I list these below to give the hotel fair and honest credit where it is due;

The pool, the loungers, the pool-side setting, the on-site life guard who is present all day, every day -great if you have children as it's an extra pair of eyes and the young girl was very friendly and polite at all times.
The rooms were reasonably spacious, fairly well appointed and very clean and our room was very bright with an eye level view of the pool
Plenty of wardrobe hanging space and lovely big wooden hangers!
A daily service from the maid including clean bed linen and fresh towels
Ample car parking if you hire a care
Reception staff were polite, professional and speak excellent English
There is a small (stuffy) gym if you wish to work out indoors which is situated downstairs in the basement
The on-site 'Orange' restaurant offering some very nice food and the daily special menu offering 4-5 courses for about 50 euros per person - this was a pretty good offer considering what we paid when we dined a la carte - the food from this menu was excellent, the setting beautiful. Probably the highlight of this hotel.

So now for the not so great parts about this hotel that we believe make it more 3/3.5 star. It just feels as though it's punching above its weight when compared with other hotels in the area.

The shower/bathing facilities were not great. The bathroom was large enough with bath, shower, bidet, sink, plenty of clean towels and some storage shelves – all plus points. However, the light with built in fan rumbled and clacked away like a large lorry in the room. The glass shower screen had a very large crack and the plug in the bath was faulty and got stuck on our last day.
The air con was especially weak and just took the edge off the heat but by no means did it seem to operate properly. Sleeping at night was uncomfortable with just the air con operating so we had the door open which gave a slight breeze and this worked a treat!
Bar-side snacks – shocking quality. Cheap looking frozon pizzas, the kind I ate when I was a kid! I really wouldn’t bother with the poolside bar if you stay here (but more on this shortly!)
Breakfast selection - a range of fresh and tinned fruit, pastries, breads and cereals. Pretty average and the hot selection looked dry and unappetising. The pastries were good, some days the fresh fruit was good but the milk for the cereal was never cold enough and should have been sat in a bowl of ice!

The staff at breakfast: shocking - the two guys we dealt with (Leonardo and Alfredo) appeared to us like we were an inconvenience. In a 7 day holiday, we were only approached once to offer us an espresso and we often found ourselves setting our own table or looking for cutlery. These guys also served us on one of our meals in the Orange restaurant and they just seemed to lack what I call a bed side manner, they really were bordering on rude. I had absolutely no time for them in the end and I usually make such an effort with staff as they can make or break a hotel/dining experience. These guys should be pulled aside and spoken to about common courtesy and I hope the manager takes this comment seriously as I was totally unimpressed with them on numerous occasions – enough so that I have dedicated a whole paragraph to them!
The beach set in small pretty cove - not at all private as advertised. Loungers were 20 or 30 euros for the day - we didn’t bother as we had a hire car and found far superior and beautiful beaches. The plus of the beach though if you do book this hotel is it is sandy, no sharp rocks for small children to hurt themselves on and it’s shallow enough for children to play within a safe distance.

So briefly back to the snack bar – we ordered some bar food late one evening; a simple pizza and tuna salad. Alarm bells should have rang when the chap said most things were “finished” but that he had “one portion of tuna salad left” and some pizzas. Several hours later and my partner and I were hit by a really nasty bout of food poisoning and suffered for around 48 hours wiping out three evenings out of seven. I spoke to the Manager on the first evening of our sickness and he seemed to nod a lot and double check that I was certain it was his food in his hotel. Was I sure? He didnt seem convinced of my claim and came up with lots of excuses of why it couldn’t possibly be the tuna. Well as it happens I was sure. I said I would not pay for the snacks and to be fair he did deduct the costs from our room bill but at no point did he offer any sort of apology, ask how we were the following day, send in the maid with clean bedding when I said we’d been too ill. The whole thing just seemed like we were an inconvenience. I felt that this particular hotel lacked a certain something and having travelled around the world and stayed in 4*, 5* and 5+* hotels on different continents, my partner and I thought that customer service was mainly what let this hotel down and sadly this predominantly lies with the way the hotel manager handled my polite compliant and the two chaps at breakfast. Just to balance this out, I would like to point out that some staff were smiley enough, including the two cleaning maids who were lovely.

I know it’s a lengthy review and I am sure many guests have had some great holidays here and will continue to do so but this is our take on our experience and I firmly believe this hotel does not quite tip the 4 star mark.

Thanks for reading !!