“The grand hotel in Porto cervo”

Grand Hotel in Porto Cervo
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Porto Cervo
London
“The grand hotel in Porto cervo”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I went to this hotel with my sister and my father for a week's holiday. It is a four star hotel but not worth that rating in my opinion. It was nice enough, but the room was very basic with a small shower and shampoo/bodywash that made my hair very greasy and hard to comb. The hotel only had one restaurant to eat at during the evening, but the food was only average and it was very expensive! The grounds of the hotel were beautiful but the outdoor terraces and pool area etc seemed tired and dirty and there were these weird oval shaped outdoor speakers which played awful repetitious music all day long.

Top tip! There is a wire that you can pull out at the back which turns it off, but sadly we only realised that on our last day!

Breakfast was average but it got quite boring eating all the same things every morning as there was not much choice of food. For lunch there was nowhere nice to eat and the beach bar was very pricey with horrible food! The seafood was plain and rubbery. We went to the restaurants down the road every day for lunch and dinner as they were very nice with friendly staff and delicious food! Hivaoa, Spinakker and Clipper are highly recommended, and are not too bad price wise!

Two things that happened to us while we were there, but may not apply to other people staying (hopefully!), were that our safe broke while our things were inside including my camera which I needed for the week. Thankfully, they did send someone to fix it quite fast but I did miss out on quite a few photo opportunities.

The second problem was that on day 3/7, the swimming pool turned completely green due to a chemical problem and no one could swim in it. It was fixed on our last day. We were very upset. Why couldn't we go to the beach you may ask? It was because the beach was a total rip off, €30.00 for a deck chair. The beach was nice enough but there was an odd sort of egg smell. We mainly sunbathed and couldn't swim due to the pricey beach and green pool.

I sound very pessimistic! The place isn't completely terrible, but many improvements are needed. The people are friendly and Porto Cervo is very nice.

Lastly, I seriously recommend doing one of the sailing days. They are expensive but worth every penny! You visit beautiful beaches, swim in clear blue water, snorkel, sunbathe, shop in nearby pretty villages and also have good provided by the men who run the day trip. They are very nice too. Would recommend doing the 4 stop boat trip with Vincenzo!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Ilovetotravel872

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Hotel good very relaxing, restaurant very expensive so used the restaurants down the road which were very good. You need good walking shoes, it is a windy island but hot, so take a high factor sun cream. No evening music, bar not very good.

Room Tip: get an upgrade, you have your own piece of garden with sun beds
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Noreen W
London
Reviewed 29 July 2014

From the initial contact with Andrew, it was one of the best experiences I've had in years. Such a lovely place to practice yoga - no pressure to join the classes, but I ended up doing extra sessions, and lots of swimming in the sea (the sea is just a minute or so walk from the hotel and lovely).

Thoroughly recommend to anyone into their yoga and swimming. And the people there were lovely to hang out with too.

Jack

Room Tip: Get a sea view room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank JackE967
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just back from one week at Grand Hotel. All in all a good hotel for relaxing and exploring Porto Cervo area. Mostly adults, but family friendly. Lots of space for lounging in sun or shade. Pools are nice (albeit chilly). Clean sandy beach with crystal clear water (also chilly). There is a charge for beach chairs. Plenty of exercise options including walking, swimming, yoga, tennis, and small gym. Fantastic sea views from Orange beach restaurant. Clean room with a fresh plate of fruit upon arrival. The staff was pleasant and the cleaning lady was especially nice (arrived daily at exactly the time I requested).

Hotel crowd was mostly a split between Italians and British. No confusing the two....

A rental car is a must unless you want to spend entire holiday at hotel. I would not recommend walking to restaurants or to marina. Walk is hilly and there isn't much of a sidewalk. There are so many beach, dining and drinking options within a 10 to 15 minute drive of hotel it would be a shame to not have a car.

Hits
Rooms (quiet and clean)
Pools
Beach (very windy although I believe that is unusual)
Small library
Pleasant staff
Orange restaurant by beach (a little understaffed though)

Misses
Showers (very small)
Breakfast (average)
Only a few topless women on beach

Area suggestions
Phi Bar in Baja Sardinia - great place to watch sunset, drink and dine. Not at all pretentious. Directly on water. Mixed ages (20s, 30s 40s).
Spinaker restaurant (up hill towards Baja Sardinia) - excellent food.
Porto Cervo shopping - music some evenings. Open late.
Hotel Romazzino - beach and lunch (very expensive) with stunning sea and yacht views.
Ritual (night club in Baja Sardinia) - drink inside a cave or dance the night away under the stars. Younger crowd (early 20s)
Billionaire - worth checking out... once. Opens at midnight. Dress to impress. If you aren't reasonably attractive and stylish I doubt you are going to gain entrance.

Hotel is hilly and spread out for those that have mobility issues.

Colonna Resort is about a mile past Grand. It is also spread out. Large pool with smaller beach. From my limited observation it is similar, but I would choose Grand.

Finally, I highly recommend Porto Cervo area. You can spend a fortune if you like, but it is not a necessity. Beautiful area, delicious food, and some good clubs if you are into nightlife scene.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank RazorsEdge
Abcoude, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a really nice hotel with a relaxed atmosphere. There are numerous places where you can sit and relax with a surprise around every corner. There are excellent views on the pretty bay around which the hotel is situated. The staff is extremely friendly, qualified and helpful and fortunately speaks their languages. There is a large pool in the center of the hotel. In the hotel there is an average fitness room. The rooms are standard, but most of the day is spend at the beach, and the beautiful surroundings make up for everything. There is a very nice restaurant at the beach. Unfortunately the food in the hotel and beach are mediocre with the exception of the Orange restaurant situated just above the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HV1963
Walton-on-Thames, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is my second visit to Sardinia Yoga and I would say it was better than the first time. The best parts for me were the great Yoga, the wonderful food at breakfast and brunch and the opportunity to relax beside a beautiful Pool in a chilled environment, and in the sunshine! For a three or four night stay this is brilliant because you don't really need to go anywhere. And you come away feeling relaxed and stretched. A great time. I had two friends with me this time and they were surprised at how much they enjoyed the whole thing too. We will definitely come again soon.

Even yoga teachers need a teacher, and Marcus Veda, Rhos Roswell and Jan Foglia, taught me so well. I have taken away with me a host of new ideas to inspire my classes, and little tweaks that add so much to my own practice. All three teachers inspired me in their own way. Marcus had a great energy and really put me through my paces. I ached after the second day. A lovely touch was the head massage in Savasana. Rhos ensured my alignment was perfect and reiterated what I needed to concentrate on and strengthen. Rhos was fun and also a hard task master, in a good way! Jan led me through some wonderful pranayama techniques, and used blocks and belts, and made some wonderful adjustments, during her rejuvenating class. She was very welcoming, especially to those that had come on her own, and she was great company too.

The whole holiday was wonderful. A great combination of good food, great Yoga, and free time in a wonderful environment. The yoga space was a great size and catered for everyone.

All teachers were wonderful and the Yoga and the level suited me very well. The hotel facilities were good, and clean. The beds were very comfortable. The hotel was quiet this time and I had a room well from the bar which I'm very grateful for. I also had a bath this time which I was really thankful for because of my aching muscles. I had two long baths during my four night stay. We didn't manage any trips save for walking to the local harbour. On our last night Rhos and Jan organised a wonderful meal out with most of the Yogis which was great fun. Breakfast and brunch were fantastic. I am definitively visit again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a bath, and a rom away from the bar.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank FayeKoeYoga
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just back from a 5 day yoga holiday at the Grand Hotel. My first floor room with balcony was clean, large and airy with lovely sea views. The staff were most attentive and friendly. The pool and grounds are simply stunning, as is the small beach. The breakfast and brunch offered as part of the holiday was of a very high standard. Would also recommend the hotel's Orange Restaurant. The hotel is a short distance from Porto Cervo - 30 minute walk, but to be honest, it was too tempting to stay and enjoy the pool and beach. A very relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: I liked my first floor room - more airy and great views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends