“The Truth About Il Pellicano”
Review of Hotel Il Pellicano

Hotel Il Pellicano
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Porto Ercole
Montreal, Canada
“The Truth About Il Pellicano”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have read most of the reviews, especially the Average, Poor and Terrible ones. The people that wrote in these categories are obviously unsophisticated travellers who carry emotional baggage far beyond their suitcases.
I have been looking at this property for a long time and finally had the privilege to stay there. Simply stated, it rates right up there with the finest luxury small hotels in the world.
The property is physically stunning, with its brilliant architecture and finely manicured foliage.
The facilities are excellent, well-maintained and the rooms (each one being different) vary from small and comfortable to large and magnificent. All are immaculate.
The cuisine is outstanding in both restaurants and on the beach.
The single best factor that separates Il Pellicano from other luxury properties and makes it so superlative, is the staff; in any organization, a "top-down" phenomenon is seen. Here, it is the General Manager (Danilo Guerrini) that sets the pace. This man is most gregarious, polite, warm and accommodating. He is omnipresent, from morning till night and he runs a tight ship - yet seems to be loved and respected by all the employees. He constantly strives to improve every detail. And this philosophy carries down to every employee, in every department. Always greeted with a smile and by name from all staff, guests feel so welcome and pampered here.
Special mention should be made of Tanya at Reception, Antonio the brilliant and charismatic waiter and Gabriella, one of the wonderful restaurant managers. But if truth be told, ALL the employees exemplify the passion and charm of the General Manager.
I honestly did not expect to enjoy this stay as much as I did. It exceeded every expectation.
Il Pellicano is a

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank travelgurudoctor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We recently visited this hotel for lunch whilst holidaying in Tuscany. The hotel was stunning and set in perfect surroundings with the most wonderful view overlooking the sea up on a cliff from the terrace where we ate lunch. We were aware that lunch would be expensive as the hotel also has a 2 star Michelin restaurant but as we are real foodies and enjoy eating out at nice restaurants we wanted to try it. Some of the staff were friendly and some walked around with their noses in the air! We were offered their local wine at 18 euros a glass! We declined and choose a bottle instead, the cheapest starting from 60 euros. The pasta dishes we choose for our main were very small (more like a starter) but absolutely fabulous but very overpriced just under 30 euros each! After lunch we had a stroll around the grounds taking in the amazing views and before leaving we asked the receptionist if she could point us in the direction of the bathroom. We told her that we had just eaten lunch on their terrace and before our hour journey back to the wine resort that that we were staying at, we both needed to use the bathroom. She told us to wait a moment and then popped her head into the office door, spoke in Italian and another receptionist came out and said she would take us! When leaving the bathroom I opened the main door to wait outside for my husband and couldn't believe that the receptionist along with another (male) hotel worker was waiting outside the bathroom door for us!. Once she saw me and when my husband appeared from the male bathroom she spoke in Italian to her male colleague who then proceeded to walk back to the reception desk I was so shocked, I couldn't speak. We left the hotel really quite upset and upon arriving back to our villa I really wanted to phone to speak with the hotel Manger to tell him how we had been treated after having spent a fortune for lunch at this 5 star resort. My husband ask me to forget the incident and to not let it spoil the lovely holiday we were having. I don't think I overacted as I think what happen at this hotel was appalling and totally unacceptable. We have travel the world, eating at some of the best restaurants there are and we have visited Italy on many occasions never to experience this kind of unprofessional behaviour. Needless to say we wouldn't recommend the restaurant or hotel to any of our friends or colleagues

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank David R
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband took me here for a romantic 4 day stay. The bed was a little hard for me but I asked them to try to find a solution for this and magically they did just that. The room was a suite and Included in the Romantic package was a gourmet dinner, a massage for both of us and a romantic breakfast with champagne. We were delighted with the food from both restaurants although the prices were a little dear, but the quality of the food was very good. The gourmet meal with a view over the hotel pool and cliff with seaview was great but take mosquito spray. We chose to eat our breakfast out on our balcony that was the size of the bedroom with a giant umbrella but saved the champagne for another day. The beach (well - concrete platform built over the rocks) was straight down the cliff face and you could either walk down or take the elevater. It was difficult to get into the water as you have to climb down a ladder that is very slippery when actually getting your feet wet. On the 3rd day we stayed at the pool. Frankly there was more wind by the pool so it was cooler. This is not a place for children or younger families. It's more for couples seeking romance and calm. Our couple massage was extremely relaxing. As we were there the late part of July, it was not what we would call busy, but on our last morning as we ate breakfast we noticed many more chairs and umbrellas had been placed by the pool, as if they were trying to pack as many as they could around it. Happily we left before the august crowds came.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank RMAN2656
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I am cook. So first things first: food :)

I will never spend 600 EURO in a spa, i think its ridiculous. But I do not mind to spend this amount or even more for a dinner in a good restaurant.
With one but. it has to be worth it. What can I say about their 2 michelin star restaurant …. fusion-confusion. I felt robed.
Yes, serves was excellent. Setting is stunningly beautiful. But i loooove food. And this is the prime reason i go to the restaurant.
To be fare, plates looked beautiful. just right amount of food, lovely colour combinations, modern design. But the taste of most of the dishes is a complete
failure. Some combinations for a simple disaster.
The chef is playing with Indian flavour, trying to implement them into european cooking. Love Indian food. Cook it. Had training in India.
That dishes was just wrong.

Another restaurant's food is more straight forward and simple, but you know, it is fine! I enjoyed my meals there.

The hotel. its OK. The best on the coast for sure. But on the world scale, nothing special. We had garden room. Good size, design is matter of taste. not my cup of coffee.
Gorgeous bathroom thought. Also checked rooms in a main building. I can not imagine anyone who will like it, especially for the money you pay.

Overall: will never come back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Irinchen
HoiAn
Reviewed 12 July 2013

A splendid property!
Pricey when you pay €1000 per night for a room albeit one with a sea view.
We were given a room in one of the outbuildings, called 'cottages'.
Our first impression is the 'cottage look' in the room, was on the cheap side i.e. soft furnishing from a mail order catalogue, flimsy wardrobe doors and mirrors, floor tiles of the very basic type.
We asked to be transferred to one in the main building as after 2 days, trudging up and down the steps was a bit tough on the knees. We found the charming and simple decor which we expected in our second room, which was small with a distant view of the sea. The wifi never functioned in the rooms. The bed linen and towels were of those mostly used in 4 star category chain hotels smelling of a strong acidic detergent.
The breakfast spread is generous and the service impeccable. Dining experience is alright as one can expect the prices are steep.The portions on the small side. I guess they expect one to go through the antipasti, primi and secondo ritual before surrendering to the 'dolci'!

Room Tip: The rooms are on the small side in the main building but the ones in the 'cottages' slightl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mingalabaHoiAn
Hungerford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This was our first stay at Il Pellicano. It is a beautifully appointed hotel in a stunning location. The weather was very hot so we spent most of the time swimming in the sea off their 'beach' which is a very clever construction above the rocks. The water was coolish but crystal clear. The hotel provide free goggles and flippers to their guests.

We ventured to Porto Erole and Porto Stefano but to be honest we enjoyed the tranquility and beautiful scenery of the hotel far more.

The service is impeccable. However be preapred for expensive prices. Main courses at their beautiful Grill resatuarnt are on avearge 45 Euros. The food however is delicious. I dont have a huge appetite so the portions were ideal for me. Lunch in this spot sipping chilled Rose wine is a must.

Room Tip: We booked D3 cwhich is a two bedroom Cottage. Beautiful room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Camogli, Italy
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Tastefully decorated, excellent location, good food and service and discreet to the point my friends in Porto Ercole could not get in touch with me because the front desk staff would not reveal if I was staying there. I guess a good place to take a "friend". Or make sure your mobile is charged and working.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
#5 of 5 in Porto Santo Stefano
Albergo La Conchiglia
Albergo La Conchiglia
#3 of 7 in Porto Ercole

Been to Hotel Il Pellicano? Share your experiences!