“Great location and nice beach aside”
Review of Hotel Acquamarina

Hotel Acquamarina
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Portoferraio
“Great location and nice beach aside”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We found it asking for a room at villa ombrosa which is in the same street 400 metres before on the left side and owned by the same family. It's a old fashioned hotel greatly located (close to nice beaches and not too far from the city center). Rooms are clean and tiny, worthy in front of the see (great panoramic view); the airconditioning system is a bit oldstyle and noisy. Frendly staff and really ordinary breakfast (we do not understand previous commentaries..) apart from the daily fresh fruitsalad.
We spent a relaxing week.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Czech first
Bayville, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I saw the reviews on this hotel ahead of time, however I also called all of the islands hotels....this was one of the only ones left available that didn't cost 500 Euro. I also waited till the last minute to plan. I spoke with a Patricia who spoke English well and was very nice and offered a sea view/balcony room to me for only 100 Euro when it was suppose to be 150 Euro. We took the last ferry to Portoferraio so we arrived after hours at the hotel and was unwelcomed by an older man who apparently didn't appreciate the woman checking into the hotel, so after I got my husband to come in with our two children he was still very rude and was upset that we gave him our military IDs. He did not understand and insisted on seeing our passports, we live in Italy so we didn't bring them, we ended up giving him our U.S. driver's license...and he wanted to keep them overnight to do paperwork. That was crazy...we waited to get them back. He then walked us to our room and had the wrong room key and he went in someones room who was sleeping!! Then after getting the right key he walked us through the tiniest hotel room I've seen. We had said on the phone we didn't mind one bed since I had a pack and play for the baby and our youngest would share the bed. The room however was minimal. Two twin beds pushed together to make one. Dirty ceiling fan. 10" TV on the wall. Chairs and bedspread looking like they came straight out of an 80's flashback. The entire hotel had a 80's pastel teal and pink vibe to it.....not pretty. The bed was the worst part....hard as a rock....and two flat pillows. No blanket, I was actually freezing. The bathroom looked to be remodeled not too long ago, however the towels looked and felt like sheets. The only nice part about the room was the balcony had a table and chairs with a slight sea view. The breakfast area was very large and the morning staff was a lot more pleasant. The spread was typical for Europe....croissants, hard rolls, ham and cheese and an obnoxiously large cappuchino machine. Parking was a nightmare at this place which was situated on a hill/cliff.....you had to drive straight down to get to the main door.....then back straight out and pull into a raised platform parking area....kinda scary with our SUV. This hotel was not close to anything, we drove everywhere. And I wish someone had said all the beaches in Portoferraio were stone beaches. My 3 year old was pretty bummed there was no sand. Their sister hotel Hotel Ombrosa was more accessible, had a very easy flat grounded parking area and was practically on the stone beach....I would of rathered stayed there if I had to choose between the two....but I would honestly loved to stay somewhere decent. We only stayed one night because of no vacancy....but I'm glad we only overpaid for one night.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank artistchic84
London
Reviewed 26 July 2008

The Hotel Acquamarina is quite a good, midprice choice if you are staying in Elba and want to be away from the bustle of Portoferraio. It is approx 600m from the ferry and town in general, but most of the walk is uphill so not recommended for anyone unwilling or unable to tackle a fairly strenuous15 min walk - especially in the heat. If you have a car, no problem. Not on a bus route and a taxi from port to hotel nearly 8 euros despite it only taking 5 mins.

The hotel has been refurbished so the rooms are clean, bright. and quiet However the shutters/curtains don't keep out all the light, so if you prefer to sleep in the dark bring an eyemask! Ours had a small terrace and sea views which are lovely. The public areas may have been refurbished but in my opinion they are old fashioned and dated - some might however say charming and authentic - depends on your point of view. There was a good selection of pastries, cereal, fresh/stewed fruit, yoghurt for breakfast, together with juice, tea/coffee. It was one of the few hotels I found that was willing to offer B & B rather than half board. There is a small but attractive terrace, but it didn't seem possible to take breakfast there which was a shame.

There is small terraced garden area with some children's play equipment however I wouldn't particularly recommend this hotel for children. A 5 min walk takes you down to a small, pebbly beach with very clean water which is manned by a life guard who will rent you sunbeds/umbrellas, kayaks, pedallos. There is a pizzeria tucked away in the trees behind the beach which also sells sandwiches, icecreams, sunlotion etc etc as well. There are showers/toilet facilities so everything you need for a day on the beach.

• Liked — Clean and quiet
  • Disliked — Thin curtains, aircon not very cold
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portoferraio
Hotel Airone del Parco & delle Terme
Grand Hotel Elba International
Hotel Capo Sud
Hotel Capo Sud
#1 of 5 in Lacona

Been to Hotel Acquamarina? Share your experiences!