“Simple but nice”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Acquamarina
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Portoferraio
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel 4 nights at the end of May/beginning of June. Overall the stay was very pleasant at this establishment.
Hotel staff is friendly and welcoming, both at the reception and in the restaurant at breakfast.
Location is good, quite close to the historic centre of Portoferraio and the port (max 20 min on foot). Google maps locate #6 Viale Luigi Einaudi further away than this address is. The exact location of the hotel is next to the intersection with Via Giagnoni. A bit of caution is required when you walk back to the hotel at night because of the lack of sidewalks and pure illumination.
There are a couple of beaches within a walking distance, too. The nearest one is Padulella (2 min walk), but those of Capo Bianco and Le Ghiaie are just a little bit further.
Room was quite spacious and clean, the only minus was the lack of spare electric sockets in the room - I had to unplug the minibar to use the only one available.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

During a mid September heat wave, you expect the air conditioning to work. If the air conditioning doesn't work, you would expect to have screens on the windows so the Mosquitos don't eat you alive. This hotel has neither working air conditioners nor so they have screened windows. They advertise that they have air conditioning and they even have units in the rooms. The units are poorly maintained like the rest of the hotel. Even after maintenance man looks at the unit and declares it "tutti bene," it's not. It's a bloody mosquito-infested pizza oven. I'm never staying here again and I would encourage the rest of you to look for lodging elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Graymd
Reviewed 25 June 2013

greetings from Ireland. Upgraded to a great sea view room with panoramic views.Great hotel, lovely staff, great location. Definitely one of the nicest relaxed hotels I stayed in and five minutes from a lovely beach/cove. Rooms very cleaned and a great breakfast. I would highly recommend this hotel and really enjoyed my stay. Thanks to all the lovely staff

Room Tip: room with a sea view without a doubt.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Me and my fiancé stayed her for a few nights and had a fantastic time, we had a room with terrace and views overlooking the sea, lovely location and the staff were friendly and helpfull, breakfast was buffet style and again the staff were lovely, will be coming back and would recommend , as well as the hotel Elba is a little gem, loved it.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Greetings from Canada to Patrizia at Aquamarina Hotel.
We would like to thank you for making our holiday in Portoferraio a very special memory with your extra special kindnesses. A very gracious host as well as a wonderful hotel with fantastic sea views from the balcony and a fabulous buffet breakfast. We travelled to Portoferraio in the beginning of October and the weather was heavenly warm. Patrizia's recommendation for the 'Lido' restaurant was a great adventure into the ancient part of the city... right next to the Medici steps. We highly recommend this hotel if you would like to have a dream come true experience.
Best regards
Ursula and Carl

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We found it asking for a room at villa ombrosa which is in the same street 400 metres before on the left side and owned by the same family. It's a old fashioned hotel greatly located (close to nice beaches and not too far from the city center). Rooms are clean and tiny, worthy in front of the see (great panoramic view); the airconditioning system is a bit oldstyle and noisy. Frendly staff and really ordinary breakfast (we do not understand previous commentaries..) apart from the daily fresh fruitsalad.
We spent a relaxing week.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I saw the reviews on this hotel ahead of time, however I also called all of the islands hotels....this was one of the only ones left available that didn't cost 500 Euro. I also waited till the last minute to plan. I spoke with a Patricia who spoke English well and was very nice and offered a sea view/balcony room to me for only 100 Euro when it was suppose to be 150 Euro. We took the last ferry to Portoferraio so we arrived after hours at the hotel and was unwelcomed by an older man who apparently didn't appreciate the woman checking into the hotel, so after I got my husband to come in with our two children he was still very rude and was upset that we gave him our military IDs. He did not understand and insisted on seeing our passports, we live in Italy so we didn't bring them, we ended up giving him our U.S. driver's license...and he wanted to keep them overnight to do paperwork. That was crazy...we waited to get them back. He then walked us to our room and had the wrong room key and he went in someones room who was sleeping!! Then after getting the right key he walked us through the tiniest hotel room I've seen. We had said on the phone we didn't mind one bed since I had a pack and play for the baby and our youngest would share the bed. The room however was minimal. Two twin beds pushed together to make one. Dirty ceiling fan. 10" TV on the wall. Chairs and bedspread looking like they came straight out of an 80's flashback. The entire hotel had a 80's pastel teal and pink vibe to it.....not pretty. The bed was the worst part....hard as a rock....and two flat pillows. No blanket, I was actually freezing. The bathroom looked to be remodeled not too long ago, however the towels looked and felt like sheets. The only nice part about the room was the balcony had a table and chairs with a slight sea view. The breakfast area was very large and the morning staff was a lot more pleasant. The spread was typical for Europe....croissants, hard rolls, ham and cheese and an obnoxiously large cappuchino machine. Parking was a nightmare at this place which was situated on a hill/cliff.....you had to drive straight down to get to the main door.....then back straight out and pull into a raised platform parking area....kinda scary with our SUV. This hotel was not close to anything, we drove everywhere. And I wish someone had said all the beaches in Portoferraio were stone beaches. My 3 year old was pretty bummed there was no sand. Their sister hotel Hotel Ombrosa was more accessible, had a very easy flat grounded parking area and was practically on the stone beach....I would of rathered stayed there if I had to choose between the two....but I would honestly loved to stay somewhere decent. We only stayed one night because of no vacancy....but I'm glad we only overpaid for one night.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank artistchic84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portoferraio
2 mi away
Hotel Mare
Hotel Mare
#6 of 25 in Portoferraio
Grand Hotel Elba International

Been to Hotel Acquamarina? Share your experiences!