Rather stuck in the past, this hotel is not very stylish and there is no attention to detail - no floral displays, no free water in the rooms, basic toiletries, thin towels, no proper beach or poolside service. It does not compete with luxury hotels in other parts of the world, and has none of the little touches we now come to expect in a hotel as expensive as this.
The rooms are poorly sound proofed, and 'garden view' means a scrubby flowerbed.
The setting is beautiful and the pool and beach very well maintained. Most impressive is the restaurant where the cooking at dinner is excellent, the service rather patronising and the other guests horribly over dressed. This is bourgeois posturing, not barefoot luxury.
Dinner is in the same restaurant except once a week when it is a superb Tuscan buffet in the beach restaurant. There is no attempt to create a sense of variety in the experience, and both restaurants are as prosaically decorated.
If you bring teenagers, there is no provision for them-no table tennis, den area or activities organised, but if they want to change bikini 4 x a day and sunbathe they will fit in a treat.
I would say service is professional, and rather cool even for an Italian speaker like my husband.
But if you are one of the Italian families who obviously return here year in and year out service appeared to be positively forelock tugging.
If you want a few days by the sea in Elba with great food, this is a good option, but for the money I would personally try somewhere else like France, Tuscany proper or the Caribbean.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the magnificent Biodola bay, the hotel has a large private sand beach, 8 clay tennis courts, 9-hole golf course.The hotel's restaurant is famous for its exquisite cuisine and service. Maitu' beach restaurant offers a range of Tuscan specialties. Rooms and suites all with terrace, have all the comforts one would expect of a top-class hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Hotel Biodola reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Biodola Hotel Portoferraio
- Hotel Biodola Elba Island, Italy