“Need to clean up the hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Villa Ottone

Hotel Villa Ottone
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Portoferraio
Hamburg
“Need to clean up the hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

We were at the Villa Ottone in July 2007 together with our 2 kids, 5 and 3 years old. The place was nice, but I was very dissapointed to find out that the roooms would smell, were dirty and just too tiny for the high price!!! The only good thing was the food and the location, but you can get this in Elba also for less money.

I would not go again to that Hotel!

Must do: Visit the Barabarca, Naregno and Inammorata beach. beautiful beaches and near the town Capoliveri which was just too romantic.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ManuHamburg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2007

This is a great place for families with children. We stayed in a first row cottage overlooking the the sea with our child. The room was big enough to accomodate us very well and having our own private terrace gave us just that bit extra. There were many families staying in the cottages, most families of 4, and they all seemed happy and comfortable.

The mini-club is great. It runs both a morning and late afternoon session. There are also certain nights were the staff will mind your child will you dine seperately.

The grounds are beautiful and well kept. It is also a very quite spot.

Meals are fine with a lot to choose from. Seafood is very fresh.

I would highly reccomend Villa Ottone to any family going to Elba.

• Liked — The relaxed atmoshpere and location.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2007

I found Hotel Villa Ottone on Trip Advisor and read several reviews - some good and some not so good. After staying there in July, I have to agree with the not so good.

The only positive thing I can say about the hotel is the veranda in the evening as the sun is setting. There is a piano and the view of old Portoferrio is outstanding.

When we first arrived, the hotel had this feel of what I thought was old Europe. But once we got settled, it seemed more like "second rate". The A/C in our room did not work properly and I overheard another guest complaining of the same thing. The pool was tiny and on the day we arrived there were a large number of kids monopolizing the pool. We had lunch by the pool that was quite expensive and my shrimp salad was so fishy I was afraid to eat it.

Our room was never quite fully cleaned when we returned in the afternoons. And, we made the mistake of going half-board (well, it actually required at the time of year). The dinners reminded me of a bad cruise in which dinner was brought out in bulk and nothing had much of taste with most of the seafood not being very fresh.

I had much higher expectations for this four star hotel.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
San Luis Obispo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2007

My wife and I just returned from a one month vacation to Northern Italy, which by the way she used Tripadvisor for researching all of the hotels along the way.

She read every review of every hotel in the areas that we wanted to visit. It was a lot of research, but it paid off in the end. We knew exactly what we were getting, and didn’t expect anymore or less. We were completely satisfied with all of our final choices. And by the way, I am a very difficult person to please when traveling to a hotel.

One of the stops on our vacation was the Island of Elba. We had read the all of reviews of the hotels in the area on trip advisor, and decided the best choice for us would be the Hotel Villa Ottone, despite some of the reviews we read.

We both found the hotel, well, magical. It was situated on a ocean cove with lush garden surroundings. We had requested a room in the old villa as suggested on Tripadvisor. The owner, Mr. DiMario informed us that our room had a problem with the shower, but he was upgrading us to a suite with a balcony in the old villa. It was by far the nicest room in the hotel. Absolutely amazing! I can't speak for the non-villa rooms, but the rooms in the old villa on the water are amazing!

After seeing the room, we ran back and asked him if we could stay three more nights. He said, yes and gave us the additional nights at the same price as our original lesser-priced room. It had a high, beautiful painted ceiling and a large balcony overlooking the water. We couldn’t have been happier.

I was so disappointed that a reviewer was allowed to post a comment on the website that Mr. Di Mario was drunk when they were dealing with him. I never found that to be the case, and he was always cordial and generous with us. I can’t imagine all of the drunks he and his staff have to deal with. He's a kind, proper and generous man.

We found Armando, the maitre’d, and his staff in the restaurant to be extraordinary. They were well-trained, the food was delicious and the restaurant was exquisite. We enjoyed the atmosphere and all of the singing birds in the garden. Giuseppe and the staff in the Cantina were exceptional and we looked forward to spending time in the piano lounge with them each night.

We will definitely return to this hotel next year. My wife cried the night we left, because it was so beautiful and she didn’t want to leave.

Another extra that we enjoyed was the free internet and plenty of free parking on their own property. These are big pluses, as you know if you've been to Italy.

Of all the hotels we stayed at for the 30 day trip in Italy, this was the best, and the island of Elba was our favorite destination..

• Liked — The entirety of the completely magical experience
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank slobizman
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2006

While we really enjoyed Elba, the hotel was a disaster. The owner is Swiss and while all the Italian staff were great, he was a "Chancer", one who over booked the restaurant to friends and locals that were not staying at the hotel which resulted in difficulty in securing a dinner or lunch reservation and when you did secure a table, you waited for ever for the OK food to arrive. The property itself while well placed had very poor plumbing and they had an excavator there every (4) morning with the septic open and the aroma's were amazing. We are planning another trip to Elba but will never stay at this hotel again. When I requested a moment with the manager, the Swiss owner showed up drunk and that was the end of that. We simply paid our bill and left as he was impossible to talk to due to his condition. Staff were all lovely and thats about it.
Great spot otherwise.
Breffni
---

• Liked — The Italian Staff and the Location was great
  • Disliked — The smell of the septic and the poor food and the drunk swiss manager
  • Tips/Secrets — Book elswhere
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank breffnicom
Veronique-di-Mario, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Ottone, responded to this review, 14 April 2009
1. He complains about the drunken Swiss owner, this I find very strange as I am the owner, my name is Mario di Mario and I am very Italian, I am from Rome but I have lived on Elba for many years. Further, I take running a hotel very seriously and have never been drunk. As the owner/manager I would like to mention that I have been in the hotel business for 50 years and I have a very detailed experience of this industry. Perhaps Mr Breffni confused me with another person, a Swiss client of ours and his friends.

2. I would like to state that the review was made at the end of 2006 which is 3 years ago. The hotel was then a 4 star hotel and although I feel the hotel did not merit such harsh and indeed false criticism, I would like to add that it has had a lot of renovation and refurbishing done during the winters of 2006/2007, when much work was done on the rooms and then in 2007/2008 when work was carried out in order to upgrade it to a 5 star hotel.
The Italian tourist organisation is very strict about the standards of quality for a hotel to
become 5 star and Villa Ottone passed all controls and became in the spring of 2008 one of
two 5 star hotels on the island.
3. We take special care of the cuisine in the hotel and pride ourselves on its excellence. The hotel dinning room is only used by hotel guests and sometimes by their friends or relations and is big enough to accommodate them all even in high season. Indeed, there is a choice of restaurants, the air conditioned hotel one, a restaurant set in the park, the poolside restaurant or the snack bar beach Tavern. I therefore cannot understand the reviewer’s comments about the difficulty in reserving a table for lunch or dinner all our guests are accommodated in the restaurants.
4. The reviewer complains about a septic problem, one morning during the summer of 2006, as a result of a blockage caused by some strange item being put into a WC I had to call a vehicle to pump out a septic tank. This happened only once during the entire 2006 season and the pumping only took half an hour. The reviewer suggests it happened every morning, 4 in total, which was not the case, and any inconvenience, which I regret, was only for 30 minutes at around 11 am, a time when most people were on the beach or on trips away from the hotel.
5. The reviewer says his date of stay was November 2006, the hotel is open until, at the latest, mid October every year. Perhaps he made a mistake about the date of his holiday at Villa Ottone and it was in another month not November, the review was posted on December 2, 2006. Indeed, perhaps he made not just this error but some others when reviewing Villa Ottone.
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2006

We spent the first four nights of our honeymoon at Hotel Villa Ottone. We enjoyed our stay, but felt they could have had a few personal touches to really make us want to hurry back. The staff were wonderful, almost all spoke great, if not perfect English. The main event was certainly dinner. Most nights it was very good. Pasta was always excellent, and the meat usually left something to be desired, but overall a very positive experience. The beach was a bit pebbly, but the water was like a warm bathtub...wonderful. Convenient ferry straight to town is much better than a windy drive, but why go to town when you can lay on the beach. The resort is definately quiet, not much going on at night except a bar with live piano. Good for a couple trying to escape or a family not looking for action at night. The sunset is TO DIE FOR!!. Romantic for sure, but for the price we would have appreciated a few extra touches, especially when the hotel knew it was our honeymoon. We were happy with our stay, but we'd probably try something knew if we were back to Elba.

• Liked — Service and food
  • Disliked — No personalized service. They should offer a package to add some "romantic touches."
  • Tips/Secrets — They'll save your bottle of wine for your next meal if you don't want to drink it in one sitting
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vikstrom
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2006

We spent the last 4 nights of our italian holiday in the Villa Ottone. The hotel is located in it's own grounds, right on the coast, with a private beach. The accommodation was fine, nothing particularly special, but very acceptable. We had breakfast there each morning and it was probably the best we had in Italy. We also had dinner there one evening and that was excellent. There are plenty of restaurants in the surrounding countryside - we especially enjoyed the restaurants in Port Azzuro. In the evenings we enjoyed a nightcap in the bar with magical view of the bay. If we go again we will try to get one of the rooms in the old villa with views out over the bay - they looked fabulous. We found the staff to be very helpful and attentive, and just enjoyed the overall feel of the place.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Airconditioning was not working in our room - had to change rooms- 2nd room fine
  • Tips/Secrets — I think you need a car if you are going to stay here.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FullCircle1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portoferraio
Hotel Hermitage -- Portoferraio
Grand Hotel Elba International
Hotel Capo Sud
Hotel Capo Sud
#1 of 5 in Lacona

Been to Hotel Villa Ottone? Share your experiences!