“Very good:)”

Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Portoferraio
vejle
“Very good:)”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Nice view from balcony, clean rooms, nice staff, good coffee and breakfast and not least good service:)
The hotel is located only a few minutes walk from a beautiful beach and you can easily walk to the City centre. Parking is free and just across the street.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Centio

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

No comparison to other 3 star acc. we stayed on island .Very basic.Small rooms ,camp beds ,no hot water,no a/c.,Wouldn't recommend as value for money.Doing other equal rating/price hotels a disservice .Need to spend some money and refurbish.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarge2013

Travellers are raving about these Portoferraio hotels

Paris
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This is the third year we stayed at Padulella - it is a modest hotel, but clean and had AC. The breakfast is included. Last we went again, and I found that upon arrival the air conditioning was blowing extremely poorly. I notified the owner who said that if I closed the window all the way it would work better and it is "piano, piano" --slow but works. I didn't have time to change rooms or argue - plus I was sure it was the same in all the rooms. In the middle of the night we were awake and sweating. Opening the window brought some air - it was stifling inside, but loud scooters were flying by. In the morning I complained. The owner said, "Oh, we shut the air off at night." "WHY?" He tried to explain that the AC made too much noise. In fact, it makes no noise whatsoever given the level it was on.
In addition, one must walk 500 meters uphill to get there - not easy in the heat, after a long day on the boat.
We know they were trying to save money. Don't go if you want to sleep well and cool.
Try the Hotel Crystal instead!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luckygirl333
London
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Lessons I have learnt from Elba, don't go in August and book way in advance if you do. I failed at both of these and ended up booking Padulella as a last resort. €150 per night was hugely overpriced. Positives: nice balcony. Negatives: air con doesn't work, bunk beds in our room, poor breakfast, gruff staff, a fair walk to the marina, wifi only works in reception. Book somewhere else that gives better value!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Arabella_P
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Our air conditioning was broken and when we told them they said nobody else was complaining. We had little or no hot water to shower. Also you will get coffee from an automated Lavazza machine which tastes burnt. If you want real cappucino you will have to pay 4 euros for it.

It is a very steep walk from the nearest beach/restaurant. May not be worth the money for lack of amenities and service.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My sister and I (21 & 27 years old) stayed at the Hotel Villa Padulella for 4 nights. We had never been to Elba and were looking for an affordable hotel with a location convenient to the port, beaches, restaurants & shopping. We booked the hotel based off of only a few reviews (that were in English) and we are really happy with our choice!

The hotel is a 10-15 min walk from the Portoferraio Ferry. Very easy to find just keep your eyes open for the signs (we missed them the first time around). It is a 2min walk from the hotel to Padulella Beach - very small but beautiful pebble beach!

Staff was very welcoming - provided maps of the island, bus routes/times, and suggestions on beaches and restaurants for first time visitors. One member of the staff, Enis, spoke fluent English - she was amazing and was very helpful during our stay.

The hotel itself was very quiet simple - small bathroom/shower & two twin beds made up together to form a double bed. The sheets & towels are fresh (bleached white and very clean) and the room & bathroom is cleaned daily. We had a balcony in our room which was great - it had a table, two chairs, and an ocean view.

There is a bar in the main lobby level but no bartender and there is never anyone at the bar - we had a drink there once and it was made by reception. Each morning they serve breakfast which is included - it consists of hard boiled eggs, breads, canned fruits, and coffee. It was an OKAY breakfast. Nothing great.

Our only complaint is that the walls are very thin - my sister and I had a hard time falling asleep one night due to our neighbors who we believe may have been on their honeymoon....if you know what I mean.

Hope this review is helpful!

Room Tip: I would suggest a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
WALES
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I stayed at the Padulella for a week at the end of September. Air con was not an issue as the temperature by day did not exceed 30 degrees. I did have a similar experience to other reviewers in that the bathroom/shower was in dire need of a substantial face lift. (The shower door would not stay on its tracks. Cracked tiles in need of repair etc.) I also found the bedroom sadly lacking in storage space. One drawer in the bottom of the wardrobe for two people for a week. Our room was on the road side and, while sitting on our balcony in the late afternoon was quite pleasant, it could get noisy. I was woken up by traffic (motor bike) twice in the week.

On the plus side I could not fault the attitude of either the staff or the owner. They couldn't have been more helpful.

Drinks were reasonably priced.

The breakfasts were German/continental - ham, cheese, coffee -with some Brit additions, e g cornflakes/cereal, tea. Not terribly inspiring with the exception of the croissants which were excellent. Dinner was a different matter. As part of a large group, I didn't know how hard a deal the tour operator had driven with the hotel management and therefore cannot comment generally. I will say the the food lacked imagination,and there was a marked shortage of fresh veg., but on occasion the chef really surprised us with delicious soup and a fish dish.

On the question of location, I knew before I booked there was a ten minute uphill walk between the hotel on the town, so it wasn't a problem, except that you do need a torch to warn drivers of your presence after dark. The hotel's elevated position does afford some lovely views.

• Stayed September 2009