“Rustic Ligurian Charm - great location!”
Review of Hotel Genio

Hotel Genio
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Porto Venere
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I just finished a wonderful few nights stay here last week with a friend and had a Lovely stay.

We were in Portovenere for friends' wedding in the grounds of the Doria castle so as it turned out, this was the perfect location as we were placed right at the foot of the castle. There is definitely a rustic charm to Hotel Genio with very much a 'family-run' feel, which I really enjoyed. The views from our balcony and the multiple terraces are also fantastic overlooking the town square and port. Breakfast is very basic but sufficient and quality local bread and a great coffee.

Igor runs the hotel with his crazy smile and warm hospitality - its a very relaxed place and probably better suited for a trip with friends or family and not the romantic trip with your significant other... this is a great spot to base yourself to explore the rest of the Cinque Terre too as the town is easily accessed from La Spezia railway station and close to ferries and water taxi's along the CT.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Emc3

Reviewed 29 October 2011

We read about this hotel in a guidebook and then looked it up on tripadvisor. We laughed at some of the negatives. Complaining about stairs when travelling in Italy is stupid, specifically hilly coastal towns. If you want beautiful views you need stairs. Igor and family were generous hosts. Igor recommended I'll Timone for dinner, excellent. Hotel near ferry to cinque terre and beautiful castle and church. Very romantic. Recommend highly. Breakfast is simple Italian rolls with jam and coffee. But if you are in a country get used to local cuisine. The rest of the day you will eat too much so rolls are perfect.

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank tittiechips
Reviewed 13 October 2011

W estayed here for a week 2 years ago and loved it. It has private parking which was a must for us. When we got there ther first thing we saw were all the steps that we would have to negociate up to our room. They were uneven and a little scary, especially as we had 2 large suitcases. Before we even got to start, Igor was there, grabbed our suitcases and quickly took them up for us! This courtesy and helpfulness was a constant feature of our wonderful week! If we came back from somewhere a little hungry, he was quick to make us a pizza accompanied by a glass of wine on the terrace, overlooking the sea. Our room was glorious: overlooking the sea and very comfortable. The port was just about outside our door and so access to the cinqueterre was easy. Everything within walking distance and we also really enjoyed the art exhibition that was being held that week (in the hotel!). We would stay here again. (Only downside, there were some nights that were very noisy - people in the piazza had no consideration for others)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cenza B
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My wife and I stayed here in May 2010 for 7 nights and we absolutely loved it. We found Igor friendly and helpful. The breakfasts on the terrace were terrific - crispy fresh bread rolls and beautiful coffee.
We loved sitting on our balcony looking out to sea.
We would come again anytime.
One small downside was having to pay by cash as we were told we could not pay by credit card yet we had to provide a credit card number to secure the booking but I guess that is Italy - some things are un-explainable!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JulianneW
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I've stayed here twice now and adore it. The place is beautiful and the staff are very kind. The rooms are lovely and have the best views. The bathrooms are tiny - but it's Europe! Portovenere is an amazing place and whenever I go back I go to Genio. I will just add that if you can't speak good Italian, bookings and general chat would be difficult. It's not a modern hotel to say the least but they try!

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank Samserena
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Not new for those who read the reviews carefully, but I also was one of those awarded with Mr. Igor lack of professionalism. Made the reservation by internet, with credit card number, date valid, got confirmation e-mail directly from owner, etc. and etc., but when I came in there was nothing but apologies. He offered an "apartment" in the villa as an option which I obviously declined, due to lack of security. Alternatively he accompanied me to Grand Hotel Porto Venere and obtained me a discount in the rates using his “influence and sympathy”. I was lucky there was availability in Grand Hotel Porto Venere, otherwise I would have to sleep in the car or accept stay in the slum apartment offered. I absolutely do not believe this could ever happen, in these days ! He got my telephone numbers and e-mail to advise me previously of any inconveniences and difficulties, but never did ! After all I was glad to stay in Grand Hotel Porto Venere, since it is far better than Genio. The little I saw I concluded it is much more appropriated for backpack travelers, not for a family or a couple in a second honey moon, which was my case. Genio is located in plaza inaccessible by car . Therefore, after carry your luggage for about 500-600 meters you will face endless stairs to reach your room, in case it is available. Again, I was glad to not stay in Genio and would not recommend it to others. If you are travelling with family and kids, you might be in trouble.

Room Tip: Goog Luck,If you can get any room .
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Rooms small but clean, breakfast minimalist, views stunning, location-cannot be beaten, Igor and his Dad--brilliant.

The best place I have stayed in in a long while--its the people and the location that count not the trouser presses, flatscreen tvs and wifi!!!!!

Room Tip: email Igor and be pleasant
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends