“Great location, beautiful view”
Review of Hotel Genio

Hotel Genio
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Porto Venere
Virginia Beach
“Great location, beautiful view”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night and had a room on upper floor with a sweeping view of the harbor. Accommodations were excellent and staff was pleasant and responsive. Being part of the old castle and the lovely landscaping make this hotel charming.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I requested cancellation 48 hours in advance. On the phone it was confirmed as done,but next day an email followed stating that I need to pay the first night.
The receptionist asked me why I cancel and when I said that my friend is not coming and I don't want to be on my own, he replied - "we can see about that.. Send me your photo or tell me how I find you on FB"- can you imagine?!
They charged me full first night.
I am very disgusted by the service!

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Ela P
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed for eleven nights in May to explore the Gulf region and Porto Venere itself -- its 'centro storico'is not a large place, but has a wonderful ambiance, both in terms of historical characteristics and the natural setting, nestled between verdant hillside and sparkling sea. Albergo Genio is perfectly situated for a stay here. Its entrance opens onto the main piazza, where you also find the tourist information office, post office, pharmacy, several eateries, and the entrance to the main street, lined with a good range of shops, bars, and restaurants. The hotel's side door, useful for after-hours access, opens onto a stepped lane descending to the same main street, and ascending to the castle.

Within a couple of minutes walk are the jetties from which ferries leave for Cinque Terre and other destinations, the stop for the bus into La Spezia (whose railway station has day trip connections to Pisa and Lucca, and even to Florence or Genoa if you get an early start), the local supermarket, the attractive quayside, and a pleasant sea-front promenade.

Because of my long stay here, I booked a double room for the extra space. It was clean, well-kept and the bed was just to my taste. Don't expect to sleep in late, however, as the duelling carillons of the two local churches provide a charming wake-up call. The room's balcony, with table and two chairs, offered a fine view down onto the main piazza, a hive of activity during the main part of the day, and location for a small market each Monday. That the hotel is built into the hillside, occupying the site of part of the medieval fortifications (remains of which are visible within the hotel complex), is the reason why it comprises several terraces at different levels, connected by stairs. If you're not good with stairs, then perhaps Italy is not the right place for your holiday.

When staying in England I like a full English breakfast; but the continental breakfast more typical of Italian hotels, including the Genio, works well for me in Italy. Particularly when served al fresco on the Genio's breakfast terrace, which overlooks the main piazza, and is overlooked by a medieval tower. Breakfast is a little late starting, as they have to wait until the local bakery has made fresh rolls each morning; but this gives an opportunity for an early morning stroll around the local lanes, or along the waterfront, before there are many people about. The Genio also has a bar; there's no restaurant, but no need for one, as Porto Venere has a good choice of eateries.

As other reviewers have commented, Igor is a welcoming, cheery, and congenial host, who speaks some English. Contrary to some who felt cheated by him, I found him generous -- he let me make a free international call home, offered me a free beer my first time in the bar, and rounded down my final bill.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tristan77
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Nice hotel and location in the center of the town, in front of the sea, really one step away from the Carrugio and from the port. Everything is really within walking distance.
The hotel is built in the old town walls, it's pretty simple and basic, not very modern, but clean, cozy and nice, and the staff is very friendly and supportive. Some rooms are at top to of a stairway, but it's not a big deal: the higher you go the better is the view. Free parking and wi-fi connection.
Just one small downside: the breakfast is pretty basic and simple, no international breakfast, but you can have it on the terrace with a fantastic view on the Golfo dei Poeti.
Definitively a great value for money. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lowres
Florida, USA
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The hotel may be fine, but I was charged a full night's rental after notifying them 3 days ahead by phone that events were preventing us from coming. Nothing on the Website about cancellation penalty, or in either the phone conversations before and after, or e-mail traffic. It was October, not a busy time of year. I try not to stay where the penalty is too confining ( 72 or 48 hour notification is fine with me), because traveling overseas can get messy. Had I known, I would have planned to stay elsewhere, where the policy is posted and acceptable. I may or may not get back to Porto Venere, but if so won't be staying at the Genio.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MrTip
Lancashire
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed at Hotel Genio, Portovenere for two nights at the beginning of May 2013.
On first meeting the owner, Igor, he was very pleasant and offered a double room for one night for 90 euros and this included breakfast and free parking. The hotel was in a fantastic spot so we decided to have 2 nights at the hotel as the ferry to visit Cinque Terre stopped at the harbour in Portovenere which was literally a 2 minute walk from the hotel. We checked in with Igor, who carried our cases up 2 flights of stairs to reception. We checked the price again with him, 90 euros per night and he even wrote the price down on a hotel business card. My husband asked if he could pay with a credit card and he said that was no problem. He said we have very good breakfast, and I asked if it was hot and he said that it was. Our room was up a further 2 flights of stairs which wasn't a problem and the view from the communal balcony was beautiful. There was lots of space on the many communal balconies to sit and relax. Our room was small but adequate. Very comfortable bed. We had a very small bathroom, but this didn't worry us as we were only staying 2 nights. Breakfast the next morning was not great. Fresh orange juice made by Igor but was a bit 'thin' Coffee, was lovely. Bread rolls that were so hard we found extremely hard to cut and chew. Although breakfast was disappointing, I still would at this point recommend the hotel for its location and the beautiful view. However, on checking out after 2 nights stay, Igor gave us the bill for 200 euros. I challenged this, and quoted his price for 90 euros per night. He then said that there is a charge for using a card of 10 euros per night. We reminded him that we had asked him about the use of a card when we first made enquiries at the hotel, when he then had the opportunity to tell us, but did not. We were charged an extra 20 euros that we should not have to pay and therefore I would not recommend this hotel but only for the reason that Igor was dishonest.

Room Tip: Great room, with lovely views but lots of stairs
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank connextions
South Africa
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Our family stayed there for one night, and I would have gladly stayed longer. Porto Venere is a great town and highly recommended. Hotel Genio is ideally situated to take a quick stroll through town and we really enjoyed the interesting location of this hotel built into the old town wall.

We were very happy with Hotel Genio and found Igor and his parents very helpful and friendly - even after we had a misunderstanding via e-mail regarding my youngest child's age and he thought she needed a camping cot. Lucky it was low season and we were offered an alternative room on the spot.

Parking was close by and Igor parked the car for us since the parking is difficult. He also advised us to drive onto the square to unload. We had to drive past the hotel and park and I went to check in while my husband drove the one way around town again to enter the square after Igor advised me to do that. It took a good few minutes as it is about a 4km loop but then you park right in front of the hotel door. Maybe for visitors booking parking space Igor could give this info per e-mail so to avoid the extra loop...

We only did the stairs bit... We slept in what I thought must be the highest level in the hotel and the steps is really a non event for any reasonably fit person. Igor carried our biggest suitcase up and down the next morning.

Rooms were small but we all had a good night sleep and breakfast was fine.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family