“Casual fun”
Review of Da Adolfo

Da Adolfo
Ranked #33 of 85 Restaurants in Positano
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, View, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brisbane Australia
“Casual fun”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Do Adolfo transfers guests via a small boat (you'll identify it by the fish sign)from the main wharf in Positano -about 10 minutes to a tiny bay for lunch .
We were greeted by a waiter in scuffs, swimmers and t shirt. The floor was gravel from the beach and the crockery was electic with a few chips - great views though and after lunch we tested the water and paddled - wished we had our swimmers with us.
We ate mozarello melted on lemon leaves, prawns in tomato and herb sauce, and grilled whole fish with salad, followed by tiramasu or croccantino. We enjoyed it all and the laid back repartee with the waiter.
The boat doesn't return until about 3:30pm so be prepared to make a day of it.

Provided a refreshing changes from the teeming hordes at Amalfi.

1 Thank Marilyn50

• Polish first
Rockport, Texas
“Fun experience, good food”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Da Adolfo was a very pleasant surprise. It is located on a separate private beach area a short boat ride from Positano. The boat trip is provided free by the restaurant and is a fun boat ride from the Positano marina ( the Red Fish boat). We had heard about Da Adolfo but were unfamiliar with the details of this experience so we learned a bit that could be helpful. First, you should make a reservation. On our visit, the place was full and our unannounced arrival causd a bit of a stir. Second, the idea here is a beach visit and lunch. Boats pick up through about noon, and don't start up again until about 3:30 in the afternoon. So plan to have your suits on or with you. Water taxis are available but cost 20 Euros for s separate trip, If split with a few couples, this a very affordable alternative if one wants to shorten the experience,

The restaurant is an open air, very casual, palapa style facility. The kitchen is located in a perch on the hill high above the restaurant deck. We found it to be a relaxed, fun, whimsical place. The beach is small in a cove wedged into some very large stone walls and cliffs.

As mentioned, we (and another couple) arrived without reservations. (Boat driver never asks when you board). The owner/manager seems to be in a perpetual huff but he received us, growled about not having reservations, yelled at the boat driver. We thought it was all good theater. In the end, He worked the floor and found a table for both couples. It was a great table in a prime location.

Ordering can again be a drama filled experience with waiters flying around the very busy place. The meal was quite enjoyable. While the menu can be a bit limited, there were a number of interesting choices. I enjoyed a prosciutto an fresh fig antipasto, my wife had a baked eggplant and I also had the fresh whole grilled fish. All were outstanding.

Despite some glitches and some fun and interesting theater (part of the local color???). We thoroughly enjoyed our day at Da Adolfo and would very definitely go again.

2 Thank David S
Denver, Colorado, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Da Adolpho: A Delightful Beach Shack!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

So the boat picked us up at 11, and it took us about 10 minutes to get to Da Aldolpho. We hung out on the lounge chairs out front for a few hours until lunch was served at 1. We had fresh fish, grilled veggies, and a wonderful fish tartar. Everything is very relaxed, incredibly casual, but the food was really quite good! I am not sure what I was expecting, but overall, I would say the experience was really quite delightful - very Italian, very relaxed. So go for a boat ride to the beach shack and have a glass of wine and some fish and enjoy. And ladies, as an added benefit, Aldolpho has great legs. LOL

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Heidi C
Towcester, United Kingdom
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

When a family member said we had to go to the Da Adolfo during our trip to this part of Italy, I was excited to go. The thought of taking "the Red Fish" to a secluded restaurant sounded idyllic. When they went there about 8 years ago, the Red Fish was almost begging people to take the short trip with them. Things must have changed.
Some of the issues were admittedly my fault. Firstly, after a very twisty trip from Sorrento to Positano, we were told that the Red Fish was finished taking people to the Da Adolfo until 4pm. We arrived just after 12:30. Since this was supposed to be "the place" to go we spent 20 Euros on a water taxi (great fun, by the way) to get there. The place was very busy but there were vacant tables. Once again, my fault that I did not make a reservation. But we walked up to the bar area and were ignored. I asked the man behind the bar if it was possible to get a table, and we were still ignored, followed by a rather curt "you will have to wait". That was fine. During the next half hour, others arrived by water taxi. Some had reservations and some "special guests" asked for a table, handed over some cash and were seated immediately. I gently asked how long it would be for our table and was told an hour or more. I then said it wasn't fair that if you handed over money you were seated. Amazingly, we were seated straight away, without parting with any money!
As others have mentioned the bare-footed waiters are somewhat arrogant. They do work hard running up to the kitchen area which was almost perched on the side of the cliff. But, when the waiter was taking our order, he started having a loud conversation with one of the other waiters and took off. Another waiter ended up taking our order. This waiter went flying up the stairs and then down with our hot food almost immediately, which made me wonder a bit. The food was okay but nothing to write home about.
We counted our losses, paid the bill, had a swim and took the first Red Fish back to Positano. The place is in an idyllic position. I got the impression it was the trendy place to be seen. Many rave about it, but it was just not for us, which is a shame since I was really looking forward to it.

3 Thank ChinoHills-MK
“Do you like the smell of raw sewerage in the morning????”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The truth of this place is the antithesis of most of the reviews! What an ugly smelly place it is. We had been told how wonderful it was and had tried to get there yesterday but the ocean was too large. So we waited a day in anticipation and climbed aboard the sweet little boat with the red fish. The unhelpful driver split our family so I had to wait half an hour while my husband and kids sailed to amalfi coast bliss....not!
When I arrived I was shocked at the tiny beach, and wondered why all the people on the previous boatload were sitting cheek by jowl on a few crappy old sun lounges in only one third of the beach. As I stepped ashore I was hit with the waft of raw sewerage and wondered why my husband was sitting up in the restaurant and the children were looking at me imploringly. We were offered two chairs, which we had previously booked, 2 cm from the next people and the chap organising the chairs, amongst the increasingly rising tide, was insistent we have them and could not move them anywhere. Meanwhile the 'hotel' next door had no takers and lots of beach with empty loungers. We left as soon as possible...maybe the food is great but really it was a dump and for lunch a nice salad or panini is all you need. We headed back to small beach which had few people, huge beach, great service and a ten min walk from
positano. Don't be conned by some romantic notion.. This place is crap.

• Visited October 2013