“Disappointed by rude and arrogant staff”
Review of Da Adolfo

Da Adolfo
Ranked #33 of 85 Restaurants in Positano
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Adelaide, SA
“Disappointed by rude and arrogant staff”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I had read here that the owner of DaAdolfo, Sergio insisted that no reservation was required, so we got on the boat from the Positano dock at 11am and headed around to the little beach that daAdolfo is on - about 10 minutes away. We were ignored as we stood and waited and unfortunately when we asked, we were told quite abruptly that there was no room. This was disappointing as there were plenty of clearly empty tables given it was early. Positano was the inspiration for our entire Europe Trip and I had read Amanda Tabberer's book My Amalfi Coast and had been looking forward to da Adolfo for months. Certainly what is described in her book as a hospitable, relaxed delicious rustic italian food experience was nowhere to be seen that day as surly waiters stomped around and barked at each other and customers. So we went next door to La Sirena (the mermaid) and had one of the most delicious seafood meals we had in our entire trip, where our delightful waiter was part of a wonderful experience, making us feel welcome and giving us his recommendations from the menu. Amazingly we had the place to ourselves as we sat watching the crowds throng to daAdolfo and many people after us receive the same treatment as we did and wander over to La Sirena. The contrast between the two is quite marked with DaAdolfo having a sand floor and very rustic, compared to La Sirena where the seats are all up on the stone veranda of the place and some seating down in the sand if you wish to enjoy your meal there. My Tip, make a reservation and be prepared for the crowds or skip it.

• Visited August 2013
9 Thank TravelChickSA

• Polish first
Westfield
“Mixed Bag !!”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We heard about this restaurant and thought it might be fun....we caught the boat over and it was a pleasant ride. I'll admit the sight of the restaurant was very disappointing....really kind of shabby. Oh well we were there....give it a go. Service really slow....but hey we are on vacation....what's the hurry ? Limited menu....oh well we can find something.Menu on a chalkboard...in Italian...the waiter a little irritated to have to explain it to us. One friend ordered mussels and said they were very good. My husbands pasta...edible....Brenda and I ordered a Caprese Salad...awful...it was not dressed...oil and vinegar brought to the table. Mozzerella in chunks was sour and like rubber....not the creamy, wonderful stuff...we had elsewhere. Tomatoes tasted spoiled...and about one basil leaf. We ate the bread and shrugged it off. Now the waiter comes along and says..."what's the matter...you aren't eating ? I say I'm sorry this isn't what I thought....instead of leaving it alone....he begins to quiz me and I say I'm sorry this is bad.....to which he feels he has to defend the salad. I say no problem...sorry...but he continues. It really became uncomfortable. He further debates with my friend and we just want him to go away. Now we need the check...and he isn't coming around. My friend and I go down to the beach....so that the waiter will bring the bill to the guys.....he does...and in fairness does not charge for the bad meals....and follows up with a limoncello.... for the men....we laughed and said the limoncello was a treat for the poor men married to such awful women !!!

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank WestfieldJackieP
Brisbane Australia
“Casual fun”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Do Adolfo transfers guests via a small boat (you'll identify it by the fish sign)from the main wharf in Positano -about 10 minutes to a tiny bay for lunch .
We were greeted by a waiter in scuffs, swimmers and t shirt. The floor was gravel from the beach and the crockery was electic with a few chips - great views though and after lunch we tested the water and paddled - wished we had our swimmers with us.
We ate mozarello melted on lemon leaves, prawns in tomato and herb sauce, and grilled whole fish with salad, followed by tiramasu or croccantino. We enjoyed it all and the laid back repartee with the waiter.
The boat doesn't return until about 3:30pm so be prepared to make a day of it.

Provided a refreshing changes from the teeming hordes at Amalfi.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Marilyn50
Rockport, Texas
“Fun experience, good food”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Da Adolfo was a very pleasant surprise. It is located on a separate private beach area a short boat ride from Positano. The boat trip is provided free by the restaurant and is a fun boat ride from the Positano marina ( the Red Fish boat). We had heard about Da Adolfo but were unfamiliar with the details of this experience so we learned a bit that could be helpful. First, you should make a reservation. On our visit, the place was full and our unannounced arrival causd a bit of a stir. Second, the idea here is a beach visit and lunch. Boats pick up through about noon, and don't start up again until about 3:30 in the afternoon. So plan to have your suits on or with you. Water taxis are available but cost 20 Euros for s separate trip, If split with a few couples, this a very affordable alternative if one wants to shorten the experience,

The restaurant is an open air, very casual, palapa style facility. The kitchen is located in a perch on the hill high above the restaurant deck. We found it to be a relaxed, fun, whimsical place. The beach is small in a cove wedged into some very large stone walls and cliffs.

As mentioned, we (and another couple) arrived without reservations. (Boat driver never asks when you board). The owner/manager seems to be in a perpetual huff but he received us, growled about not having reservations, yelled at the boat driver. We thought it was all good theater. In the end, He worked the floor and found a table for both couples. It was a great table in a prime location.

Ordering can again be a drama filled experience with waiters flying around the very busy place. The meal was quite enjoyable. While the menu can be a bit limited, there were a number of interesting choices. I enjoyed a prosciutto an fresh fig antipasto, my wife had a baked eggplant and I also had the fresh whole grilled fish. All were outstanding.

Despite some glitches and some fun and interesting theater (part of the local color???). We thoroughly enjoyed our day at Da Adolfo and would very definitely go again.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank David S
Denver, Colorado, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Da Adolpho: A Delightful Beach Shack!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

So the boat picked us up at 11, and it took us about 10 minutes to get to Da Aldolpho. We hung out on the lounge chairs out front for a few hours until lunch was served at 1. We had fresh fish, grilled veggies, and a wonderful fish tartar. Everything is very relaxed, incredibly casual, but the food was really quite good! I am not sure what I was expecting, but overall, I would say the experience was really quite delightful - very Italian, very relaxed. So go for a boat ride to the beach shack and have a glass of wine and some fish and enjoy. And ladies, as an added benefit, Aldolpho has great legs. LOL

• Visited October 2013