“Beautiful apartment with amazing views”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Casa Monticello

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Σαλόνι / Κουζίνα
σαλόνι με μπαλκόνι
σαλόνι
το παράθυρο του υπνοδωματίου κύριο
δωμάτιο ηλιόλουστο
λεπτομέρειες βάρκα
το εσωτερικό του σκάφους
βάρκα κουζίνα
βάρκα μπάνιο
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
Sandra B
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Beautiful apartment with amazing views”
Reviewed 4 July 2016 for a stay in June 2016
people found this review helpful

We spent 10 days here and it was a wonderful experience. We got a warm welcome from the owners, Rafaelle and his daughter Theresa, and they were always available for help and advice; while not being intrusive at all.
The apartment is extremely well equipped even having things such as a kettle and a toaster which you don't always get outside the uk. There was also a selection of wines and other drinks which you could purchase at very sensible prices.
It is however the location which makes this holiday home so special. Perched above Positiano the views are breathtaking; and a large terrace gives you the means to enjoy them to the full. Being so close to the mountains means you are in good walking territory but for sightseeing there is a local bus which is cheap and reliable, and gets you down (and back up again) to Positano itself.. The only slight downside to the bus is that it does get very packed which can be uncomfortable in the heat.
There are a couple of good local restaurants within walking distance, and the local mini supermarket while small is friendly and well stocked.

Brooke C
“Lovely house with stunning Views”
Reviewed 19 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016
people found this review helpful

We had a great time staying at Casa Monticello. The views from the terrace are breathtaking and so nice to wake up to. The house is above Positano, on Montepertuso but there is a bus stop outside which runs every hour and takes about 20 minutes to get down to the heart of the down (you can just walk to the beach or town from here). We loved that it was further away as it was quiet and peaceful and the views were amazing. There is a small shop and an amazing restaurant a short walk away and the house is a good starting point to get the Path of Gods. We would definitely recommend this property for those who are looking for a quiet, relaxing stay in Positano.

Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway People with pets
Sheila S...
Chicago, Illinois
“Nicest apartment on the Amalfi Coast.”
Reviewed 3 June 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

As another reviewer asked, "Where do I start?"
I booked Casa Monticello for the month of May, 2016.
I have travelled around the world and have rented many apartments, homes, and villas for my vacation stays; and I must say Casa Monticello is by far the best place I have ever stayed, and my hosts - Raffaele, Teresa, Emilia, and Fabrizio - are simply the nicest people I have ever met in my travels.
I was met at the train station by Teresa and her husband, Fabrizio, who stopped along the way at scenic sites for me to take pictures. When we arrived, Raffaele and and his wife, Emilia, were very sweet and welcoming, taking care of my luggage with an ingenious lift that Raffaele had designed.
They showed me the apartment and made me feel immediately at home.
The apartment met and exceeded all expectations - extremely clean, very modern, and very comfortable, with many extra "touches" that really made the place special.
The view from the private terrace is stunning - mountains on 2 sides, Positano in all its glory 1000 feet beneath you, and the sea stretching out to the horizon.
The entire Guida family was very patient with my limited Italian, impressing me with their grasp of English. Especially Teresa, who speaks wonderful English and served as my hostess, translator, counselor, tour guide and booking agent my entire stay. My visit would not have been the same without her.
One of the special perks of staying here is Raffaele's boat. Each of my friends said the boat excursions were the highlights of their visit. Raffaele is an expert fisherman who knows the coast like the back of his hand, and with Teresa as our tour guide, Raffaele showed every nook and cranny of the coast during a water tour around each of the islands in the area, including Capri, with Teresa telling us the stories and myths of the area. We visited Capri, returning to the boat for a beautiful trip back. While the trips to Capri are beautiful, it is the trip from Positano south to Amalfi that had the most sights to see and stories to be told, and it is so different then what you can see by car.
The friendly little town of Montepertuso is in walking distance and has a small grocery store, a coffee bar, and a restaurant, Il Ritrovo, where Salvatore, his wife, and staff serve wonderful food and treat every guest as family. I went there many times.
I cannot overstate how wonderful my month was at Casa Monticello. I now consider it my "home" in Positano, and I will return.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The apartment, my hosts, and the stunning location.
Liked least: Nothing comes to mind.
Travelling group: Solo
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Reviewed 21 January 2016 for a stay in August 2015

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: possibility to book boat trip around positano and amalfi coast in-house
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Heather B
“Fantastic Apartment!”
Reviewed 13 January 2016 for a stay in January 2016
people found this review helpful

We just got back from a trip around Italy and were fortunate enough to stay at the House Montecello for 4 nights (originally planned for only 3, but loved the apartment so much we stayed an additional night). The house is so well appointed, with all the comforts of home. The kitchen had great appliances and everything was clean and new; they included a bar and wine supplies should you not feel like leaving; all at reasonable prices. The whole apartment is very clean which is really important to us and our standards are set quite high so was another pleasant perk.

We didn't have the greatest weather so didn't utilize the deck as much as we had hoped, but I do have to say that the view from the rather large deck is simply divine. Our stay was in the off season so the bus to Montepertuso was a little infrequent, although if you grab a schedule you will be fine; the buses from Positano (just below) run much more frequently in the higher seasons (I believe every half hour or so). There is a bus stop right outside the property. We didn't have a car but there is plenty of parking at the property. If you walk down the road, it will take you about a half hour to 40mins to Bar International which is basically the start of Positano. There are markets and other stores there as well.

There is a little grocery shop in Montepertuso about a 5min stroll away, and a restaurant that is simply divine; Ill Ritrovo. We ate there 3 of the 4 nights we were there as it was that good! There are other restaurants right there too however some were closed due to being in the off season - didn't matter to us, we loved Il Ritrovo!

The grounds are beautiful here as well, with loads of gardens and the cutest dog (Mini Cooper) who becomes your daily welcome wagon.

Raffaele is very kind and aims to accommodate all that he can to make your stay wonderful. I highly recommend this apartment, and will absolutely be back. Oh and another perk is that the apartment is located near one of the Path of the Gods trail heads as well as other hikes in the area.

Can't wait to return!!!
Heather and Jason

Management Response
17 Jan 2016
Thank you for your wonderful review, I will be happy to welcome you again for your next holiday, and on that occasion I shall reserve a special treatment.
Best Begards Raffaele G.
xiet99
Dunedin, Florida
“why bother to stay any where else on amalfi coast if you can stay here?”
Reviewed 24 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015
people found this review helpful

where do I start? well, let me start with "what is your definition of a holiday?" for me and my husband, a good holiday is all about whether you are comfortable; able to relax; do whatever you want and whenever, or not? the foundation of a good holiday for us is a home away from home. and I can tell you casa montecello is that place.

when I decided that my husband and I needed a real vacation and that we would spend two weeks on the amalfi coast, i knew that I could not be spending those two weeks in a hotel room even if it is a ritz Carlton! don't get me wrong. I love the ritz and JW, they truly have the best appointed hotel rooms and customer services. but when I had to stay at the JW in SH for 6 weeks for work a few years ago, I went bananas (despite they gave me a junior suite!)

i decided on positano early on. but everything i read about positano contains the words such as "fashionable", "busy", "destination". I never liked any place that is "fashionable". so I promptly decided against staying in positano but still wanted to be close. by pure accident, I came upon the name "montepertuso" during my search on VRBO website. it is a small village that is part of the comune di positano, and it is perched at 1000 feet above positano. when I saw the pictures posted by owner raffaele guida for his property, casa montecello, I knew this was the place I wanted for our extended stay.

yes, pictures are worth a thousand words, but having traveled and done road trips in turkey, Sicily, even the English country side, and of course in the United States, I was well aware of the risk of a non-internaitonal brand that you never know what you may find once you get there. for example, whether you like the marriott or Starwood brand or not, you will more likely than not get the same bed and amenities no matter which city you are in. but b&b, boutiques, and private vacation homes can be hit or miss.

I don't know about you, but it is extremely critical for me that the place has to have the right bed, proper covers (not too hot or too cold for sleeping) and decent shower so that I can sleep and clean properly. all I can say is that casa montecello is everything and more.

it is a TRUE one-bedroom apartment, meaning it has a real bedroom with a door and a lot of closet space; it has a firm queen size bed, and a futon that is not uncomfortable; it has great shower with really hot water and nice pressure; it has a washing machine which was a must-have for us so that hubby can wash his cycling kit after each of his rides. it has a well stocked kitchen just as in the description. when I say "well stocked", it truly is. it has all the silverware, utensils for cooking, microwave, an oven (which was a surprise to me - came handy when we needed to warm up our pizza) electric tea kettle, it even has an american style coffee maker in case you don't know how to make coffee European way. we made nice breakfasts, lunches, and occasional spaghetti dishes there.

but it gets better. what sets this apartment apart from all other properties I looked at are:
1. breathtaking view from 1000 feet above. the location is prime (see pictures I attached here - yes, you wake up to this every morning). it is not the view you can possibly get unless you get higher up. I think we got so spoiled by this, that when we went on our private amalfi coast excursion, we loved and appreciated every single village and scenery spot we stopped by along the coast line, but we did not go all gaga or crossed-eyed by them because truly few angles or vantage points beat what we see from our own terrace everyday.
2. a true terrace that is so large that it has a beautifully tiled dining table and matching chairs, two comfy lounge chairs with cushions. it also has built in cloth lines so that I can sun dry all my washes which I absolutely love.
3. if you know anything about amalfi coast esp positano, you'll know that visiting here involves stairs, and many of them. the entire town is built on steep hills and that is why it has such mesmerizing view esp at twilight. but that also means at many places, one would have to carry luggage up and down the stairs from the main road. that is something I knew, and was willing to suffer through for the beauty of it. but to my surprise (again), raffaele has this genius set up that hauls luggage automatically via cable from main gate of the complex to where your apartment is (about 74 steps down.) I don't think many places in positano are as smartly set up as this one.
4. the complex seems to have been recently renovated (within the last 10 years?) it has beautiful plants and gardens at all levels. and if you do insist on driving (not recommended nor necessary) raffaele has ample LEVELED parking space. (many places in positano have "parking space" that well.... if it was me, it would be either I could never get into the space, or I would have backed up the car all the way to rolling down the cliff.) and because it is relatively new, everything is nice and in working orders.
5. you know that sometimes when a B&B or private rental owner advertises their place and states that the property has easy access to public transportation or markets or other amenities that are required
for a pleasant and easy stay, but in reality a 5 min walk often turns out to be more like 25 min hike for you?! well, in this case, I can assure you that raffaele's place is indeed 3 min walk from the bus station that will take you to all points of interest in positano; 8 min of walk to the mini market in the center of the village where you'll find all the proscuitto, fresh cheese, home grown tomatos and other vegetables, and the best mozzarella from buffalo!
6. it is extremely QUIET! the village of montepertuso is not a tourist trap. it does not have big tour buses that come and go non-stop. the house is well built (as opposed to flimsy "paper walls" often found in many of the b&b in the US where you feel as if you are sleeping with whole bunch of strangers in the same room!) raffaele, his wife and daughter, and mother are all very quite people. we almost never heard anyone during our two weeks of stay. every morning and dusk, when you come out to the terrace, and look down at the quaint positano, the hills, the sky, the sea dotted by boats, one or two occasional barks of one dog down below in the distance, it is simply heaven.

the property is equipped with wifi. unfortunately it is extremely spotty, often time non-existent. but I am semi-retired, hubby vowed not to check work email, and neither of us uses any social media. so sporadic internet connection was more than enough for us. but if you are someone who needs to be constantly "connected" even on holiday, this place is not for you.

another note of caution: buses are easy to catch. but they do run a sparse schedule after the summer peak season, and the last bus from positano back to montepertuso ends pretty early during off season. for us, spending the night in our apartment in the village was not an issue. it was actually something we chose to do often. but we did run into a man who actually had stayed at raffaele's place before but this time decided to stay in positano because he wanted to be "closer to actions." again, as in many decisions in life, it is all about compatibility. village of montepertuso is not for you if 1) you want to have a "pampered" vacation that you don't want to cook, wash anything, and make your own bed 2) you are city hopping as what most organized tours do 3) you have only 2 days in positano. 4) you prefer a jam packed itinerary and crowds 5) don't like public transportation and do not like to walk 6) don't like to be surrounded by people who don't speak your language. but for what we need and want, this was the perfect place!

I have a lot more to say about why you should stay here if you are looking for the same kind of qualities as we do from a holiday. but I will elaborate more in my review on montepertuso and positano as well as Sorrento.

Maiero
Burlington, Canada
“Tranquility”
Reviewed 11 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015

Great location, awesome view! Away from the hustle and bussel - bus right outside to bring you into town or walk 10 min and have access to groceries, good restaurants. Close to hiking trails - a perfect spot that we highly recommend!!

Accommodations were great,everything you need- felt like home.

We will be back!

Thank you Raffaele and to your family and a hello to your beautiful mother signora Teresa!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Management Response
16 Jun 2015
Grazie per la recensione e per avere preferito la nostra struttura per il vostro soggiorno a Positano, spero di avervi ancora come ospiti.
Cordiali saluti
Raffaele Guida
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing