“Hidden Charges - travellers beware!!!!”

Palazzo Marzoli Resort
Ranked #38 of 38 Hotels in Positano
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have just spent 2 nights at this hotel and feel I need to warn future guests of all the disappointments I experienced. All websites failed to mention that this hotel has a huge ugly crane in front of the hotel. Upon check in I discovered that the room I had booked with 4 single beds or a double in the master bedroom and 2 single beds for my children in the attached room had been set up all wrong. I was assured this would be sorted out for the second night. It was not for my whole stay. I reserved this hotel with a confirmation confirming full breakfast was included. Having woken up to find a crane blocking my view I was very disappointed with the fact that I had to pay for a lot of the items on the breakfast menu. I was asked to sign a document upon arrival which was a document in Italian which I could not understand. I was asked to sign small vouchers for the free wifi but found on checkout that there was a charge of 10 Euros per day and that for my 3 day stay the hotel was trying to charge me 40 Euros When I questioned this the owner who speaks no English offered to waive the additional $10 euros. I tried to explain that I signed vouchers showing free wifi and now I am being charged. She offered no explanation or apology!!!! Do not order any room service as this hotel charges 20 euros for room service as an additional charge. This charge is not mentioned on the room service menu. I can safely say that I will never be visiting this hotel again. On a positive note Positano is absolutely beautiful.

Room Tip: Do not visit this hotel unless you want to be charged for a heap of extras which you are never told...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank Dally2014
PalazzoMarzoliresort, Direttore generale at Palazzo Marzoli Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Customer,

We apologize for your complaints, we would like to clarify a few points:

Your reservation made ​​through booking.com is clearly written that the Wi-Fi is for payment, and the arrangement of the beds was made as requested by you.

The crane is not our responsibility, because they are the work of the town of Positano and it is momentary.

Regarding the room service, the cost of the service is clearly mentioned on the menù.

We don't understand why at the time of check-out you have not reported none of these complaints, and we are very sorry to read things that are false.

Best Regards

Diego Marzoli.
Owner

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel. It was a surprise that it was so good since we picked it last minute while we were in Naples.

First off, if you are not an active person and the thought of climbing many stairs turns you off then you may want to stay somewhere else. On the other hand the vast majority of Positano seems to be stairs, so you may want to stay away from this town entirely. There is a shuttle and the bus service is really nice in my opinion, but there is no escaping the fact that this is a town of many many stairs. I had no issue with this and since the food in this town is ridiculously good and I kept eating too much of it, I kept reminding myself that the stairs were actually a good thing.

The staff were helpful, but we really didn't require too much from them. I thought the wifi was over priced so we did not attempt to use it.

Breakfast delivered to your room in the morning is really nice, but it means you have to plan the night before what time you want breakfast delivered. Eating breakfast on our balcony overlooking the sea and the town was really really enjoyable and is one of our lasting memories from the trip. The breakfast was good, but not overly elaborate.

The location of this hotel is also really convenient for the inter-city bus services that run around this portion of Italy. There are also several grocery stores very close by that will sell you water/drinks and fresh fruit. We found this especially convenient on the day we hiked the Sentiero degli Dei (just a portion of it really).

We did not bring a vehicle so we cannot comment on the garage or its price.

There is no restaurant attached to the hotel, but there are plenty of places to eat in the area.

I get the feeling this place caters to couples and not to families with children, but this is only a feeling.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms have a view of the sea. The balconies on the upper floor would be small fo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jared J
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We loved our 6 day stay at this charming hotel. It was spotlessly clean, the rooms were spacious, and the views from the the balconies were spectacular. The breakfast was more than adequate for us. We loved being away from the crowds in the town and beach area. A good walk or bus ride away.
The staff, Carla, Eva, Vito were amazing and couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.
The description of the connecting room was ambiguous, and not what we expected, so be careful if booking this. Carla and her staff were able to rectify the situation and change our accommodation .

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lindsay1010
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

First I want to say that, when it comes to hotels, to me newer is better. I never really got the whole concept of old charm, that is until I stayed at Palazzo Marzoli. Everything about this hotel screams old world charm, and yet it's beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean, and perfect in its simplicity. The obvious winner is the amazing location, but then you pair that with excellent, attentive service and the experience becomes magical. The rooms are simply decorated with beautiful dome ceilings painted in the traditional white. Beds are comfortable and everything smells clean and fresh. The large terraces perfectly enhance the view. You will love sitting here at any time and just enjoying the magic of Positano and the Amalfi Coast. The bathrooms are a perfect mix of modern and old. The only negative if you can call it that is you can hear the old plumbing from adjacent rooms but that only adds to the hotels charm. Finally, the ladies at the front desk were extremely helpful and professional and made our stay even more magical. They made dinner arrangements for us with a local restaurant (ask them about it, you will love it) and they even had someone pick us up and drop us off. We highly recommend this hotel. (Ps. I wish they wouldn't charge for wireless Internet, the ten Euros per day is not really necessary)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I definitely didn't realize how far up this hotel was from the beach. But the hotel itself was very nice. the staff was friendly, curtious and helpful with directions, taxis and dinner suggestions.
If you're going to Positano for the beach I would avoid this hotel...unless you're up for a lot of expensive taxi rides or walking up a lot of stairs. If you like the stairmaster, this would be for you. They do offer an occasional shuttle but it comes so infrequently that unless you're great at planning and can stick to it, it might not be worth scheduling around it.

Room Tip: The room we had was gorgeous! I think they all would be.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GaryKPSU
Reviewed 2 October 2013

It was one of the easiest hotels to find in Positano & we didn't have to lug our luggage up massive lots of steps or anything like you'd have to do at other hotels there. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised by the stunning view!! The Rooms were very clean & tidy, the beds were comfortable. The balcony was AMAZING and the best part of the whole hotel!!!

Everything was ideal and very Italian and just what we were looking for. The complimentary shuttle was great, although we'd walk into town every day (maybe a 10-15 minute walk Max), then at the end of the day we'd catch the shuttle or bus home. Very Easy.

The staff were amazing and nothing was a problem. The 24 hour wifi we paid for was great and not overly expensive and nice to have. The breakfast was adequate although we learned quickly to put the time we wanted breakfast 15 minutes after when we'd want it as it always arrived early, which was all good.

I'd go there again in a heartbeat. It's not cheap, and people were saying it was outside of town, but honestly we needed the walk after all the fine food and wine we were having!!! It was the quiet retreat in a busy place! :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janelle V
Reviewed 1 October 2013

It was a delight to rise above the busy town of Positano to the calm of the hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. The views from the rooms were breathtaking. The local bus passes the front door - don't even think of driving in Positano during the summer...One piece of advice - if seeking adjoining rooms check that they are separate - something got lost in translation here - but the general atmosphere of the hotel made up for that. Carla is the only Italian we have met who speaks Irish Gaelic !

Room Tip: Rooms on the road side are not too noisy and have great views -higher the better.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family