“Fantastic location, helpful and friendly staff”
Review of Villa Flavio Gioia

Villa Flavio Gioia
London
“Fantastic location, helpful and friendly staff”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend a few weeks ago. It was a last minute booking and I was pleasantly surprised when I turned up and it was a hotel I had admired earlier that day without noting its name.

As we checked in, we were upgraded to an apartment with a nice view over the town. The apartment was clean, the staff very helpful and friendly and the location is perfect - right in the middle of town.

As we left they looked after our bags while we went to the beach for a swim and lunch and offered us showers to wash the salt off before heading home.

It was a perfect end to a great trip, and I would highly recommend anyone to stay there.

1 Thank Baitos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I had the wonderful fortune to stay in the attico apartment at this lovely hotel to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. The apartment essentially takes up the entire top floor of the hotel and offers 360 degree views of Positano.
Being an apartment we had a small but very serviceable kitchen so were able to make our own cups of tea and have breakfast in our room on the mornings that we didn't to have to shower and get dressed to go out ... it was also lovely being able to relax on our private balcony with a glass of wine and some antipasto before heading out for dinner.
Maria and Christian were both very helpful and willing to offer advice and recommendations as we needed it/them.
This is a wonderfully located hotel with lovely staff and fabulous views - I would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Book the attico if it's available - a whole floor with fabulous views!!
2 Thank Janmarie M
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My wife and I stayed in the 'Attico' apartment, which has a wonderful balcony which wraps around three sides of the attic. You can sit eating a meal or enjoying a glass of wine while looking out directly at the Mediterranean, and go to sleep with the doors open, listening to the waves crash.

The apartment is extremely spacious, clean and pristine, and unlike a lot of European bathrooms, has a very generous sized shower. It's ideally located to get down to the beach or beachside restaurants/ferries to other parts of the Amalfi coast.

Christian and Maria are both very helpful and efficient, and made us feel very welcome.

I really can't recommend the team or the place highly enough. It was the highlight of our trip to this incredibly beautiful place. Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for the Attico.
2 Thank David1362
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This charming hotel is in a wonderful position next to the church. The sea view rooms are large and have a compact but very well stocked kitchenette. Christian and Maria could not do more to assist their guests and are totally charming in every way. Because of its proximity to the church there is some noise from the early morning bells, but if this is likley to be a problem all you have to do is to close the windows and turn on the air conditioning. The view from the windows are spectacular The beds are comfortable and the showers very effective. An additional plus is large towels! I have been fortunate enough to visit Positano on many occasions in the past, but genuinuely like this hotel more than some of the more expensive ones which are either too far up the road or too close to the Spiaggia Grande and therefore too noisy. I would not hesitate to stay there again. We stayed in a sea view studio apartment which was wonderful but the standard non sea view rooms, while being good value are quite small and it is definitely worth paying the extra.

London
Reviewed 14 September 2013

When we arrived here a week ago we could not have been more impressed. The rooms are large, with stunning views over Positano. I really wish I could give this place the glowing review I would have given it had we checked out on Wednesday and not Thursday...

However, on the third day of our holiday we gave some laundry to reception for cleaning. When this was returned later that day, the bag had been stapled to a delicate linen t-shirt, which consequently was totally ruined with lots of holes. When we asked the lady at reception what they would do about this, she gave us essentially a "not my problem" response and said all she could offer us was 30% of the value of the top, with no apology offered at all. We said we would return the next morning to speak with the manager, as we felt really disappointed with her rudeness.

Little did we know that we would have to return to speak with him anyway, as during that night I awoke to bed bugs crawling all over me, and large welts had appeared all over my back. We photographed the offending critters and transferred to the hard dining chairs for the rest of the night to await the arrival of the manager. When we explained the problem to him, thankfully he immediately told us he would transfer us to another hotel, no questions asked. When I consulted the local pharmacist, he confirmed that bed bug bites take up to a week to appear, meaning I had been bitten every night since I had arrived. Luckily my boyfriend is one of those lucky people who don't react to insect bites.

Thankfully, they transferred us to the Palazzo Murat across the road, which was incredible and we would thoroughly recommend staying here (don't worry, we checked our luggage thoroughly before checking in and we didn't transfer any unwelcome guests!).

Overall, the location of this hotel, and the majority of its staff are wonderful, and I really wrestled with my conscious as to whether or not to write this review. But on reflection, having experienced the total distress and anxiety from a bed bug infestation that I have experienced over the last few days, and having lost a couple of days of our holiday to tiredness and upset, I couldn't let other people go through this unknowingly. I am sure the hotel will have this issue sorted promptly, but in the meantime I would not recommend room 16!

4 Thank Wappingfoodie85
christian c, Direttore at Villa Flavio Gioia, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Miss W

Our suite hotel opened in 1957 and ever since thousands of guests,including world's famous artists,writers,fashion designers,very sofisticated and demanding people have stayed with us;they have all appreciated the courtesy,the cleanliness and professionality of our staff.However we well accept good and bad reviews(even though yours is the very first bad and undeserved review)as long as they are honest and true;we dont accept your review as it is mendacious and untrue.
You arrived on a saturday and slept paceful until next friday(not after 3 days),then on friday morning you came to reception showing bugs bites and bugs photos claiming it had happened overnight in our hotel room.We did not argue the issue:re-imbursed you for the sleepless night,booked a room for you at hotel next door,booked also a complimentary full dinner for two which you happily consumed abundantly(dinner cost was 200 euro),we paid in full feeling responsible for the unconvenience you claimed had happened,but next day when we called cleaning company to sanitize the room(we do with all our rooms every year before opening),we didnt find critters or bugs and room has been occupied again.By the way,that room is been occupied nonstop since March and if what you claim was true then now we will probably have hundreds bad reviews like yours.
Just few observations:critters doesnt born in beds sheets,they can only be brought from outside.You cant tell since you are not a bugs expert you have been biten all week and just realized last day,and no pharmacist cant tell you this.Critters bites shows immediately!You have probably been sleeping with windows open and since we have gardens around us you have been biten by tiger mosquitoes or bugs and we cant offer any protections for that.
About the laundry.We dont launder guests garments,this was explained to you.theres only one laundry in Positano and its located on the top of the town,far away from the beach area so we arranged with laundry a delivery service for our clients.Our receptionist simply repeated this to you when you complained with us and she called laundry many times.Launderer was more than generous with you,in fact your laundry bill was 30 euro and your cheap white cotton t-shirt bought online was 8 euro as your boyfriend told me,so laundry owner just gave you free washing.Next day when your boyfriend came to say goodbye i asked him again if he wanted to speak with laundry again,but he said it was just cheap cotton t-shirt(not fine linen garment how you claim!)and he also apologized for the whole matter,and actually said he would recommend our hotel to his father and friends.Reading all our reviews we are sure we are doing well and of course there will be always more to do to give our clients best time and services.Probably it was fun for you to be home in front of pc writing this bad review and having your moment of glory
springfield, virginia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We spent 10 days in the Villa Flavio Gioia, and were extremely pleased with our stay. It is very conveniently located, right by the Duomo, near the Spiaggia Grande and all the little boutiques and restaurants of Positano. It is one of the few places where you do not have too many steps, so it is priceless!! Christian at the desk was always helpful and courteous. The room was lovely with a sea view, and a plus is the 2 delicatessen right below the building!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights at this wonderful small hotel during our 13 week adventure in Europe. We only wish that we could have stayed much longer. The hotel is ideally positioned with great views of the harbour, the room was spacious, clean and so welcoming. Christian and Maria, our hosts could not have done enough for us and our stay was truly memorable. If you are looking to visit this beautiful part of the world, look no further than this exceptional hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a studio with a sea view - outstanding!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple