“Vintage hotel on the Amalfi Coast...”

Spa at Hotel Poseidon
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We used a travel company for our trip to Italy. Hotel Poseidon was one of our choices. It is located as we learned, on the "city side" of Positano. Still, it was a convenient walk to the shops in town and offered an easy commute to other parts of the coast. The staff from beginning to end were very friendly and attentive. The concierge was also helpful and assisted in making dinner reservations at area restaurants. After a long day of touring Pompeii and traveling to Positano, we decided to dine in the hotel restaurant...we were so pleased with our decision as this was one of the best meals of our vacation. The restaurant manager and waitstaff were fabulous! The food and the bottle of wine were perfect! Breakfast in the hotel was wonderful as well. They were always happy to assist in any needs whether it was eggs or a fresh cappuccino.
Rooms were a bit "dated" and the bathrooms were not up to our standards,quite small with a shower/tub combo...
And now for the bad news...the spa. We are true blue spa people. We have visited spas all over the world and enjoy a great spa experience. We booked a combination package. Usually, when we enter a spa, we are happily greeted by an attendant and immediately seated and offered a refreshment. This was definitely not the welcome we received at Poseidon Spa...
We entered the "waiting area" only to have a young, very unorganized attendant carrying a pile of towels...she immediately asked us to "come back in fifteen"...My husband and I were both in robes and really didn't have anywhere to go, nor were we offered an alternative, so we opened the door and sat on the outside staircase adjacent to the spa. The attendant never said anything. I had to go back in and "check" that it was ok to enter. At this time another harried looking attendant was present. The original girl said her "friend" was taking care of my husband and attempted to talk us out of the original package we selected. We agreed after many attempts on her part and a strong language barrier on ours...She never asked my name or introduced herself. We were escorted to a cramped closet like area they called a "steam room". It was very disorganized and messy. Not a spa like atmosphere in the least!
I will not go into detail about my massage and facial...but it was nothing like I had encountered before..and not in a good way. My sentiments were validated when the attendant asked me to sign her customer book and I noticed another comment:"very Interesting"...that said it all.
She had me then write (in pencil)our names on a scrap of paper and she proceeded to scribble the services and price. This was it! Wow! All that for $400 euro. Never again. Total disappointment.
The hotel manager seemed on top of his game, even handing us his card at the end of our stay...he is definitely not aware of the "spa experience" at his hotel.
All in all, the Hotel Poseidon is a quaint hotel with a restaurant that carries the weight as far as we are concerned.

4  Thank LynneB1966

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We loved staying at The Hotel Poseidon. The location and view is spectacular! The staff recommended restaurants that they ate at themselves, and even suggested what to order. The rooms were clean and modest. I would absolutely stay hear again.

1  Thank Alltix12
Reviewed 12 November 2012

One of us got a manicure/pedicure ($60 euros) and the other a massage, after being warned about the manicure. There was no hand/foot soaking, massage, pampering, etc. involved in the 1 1/2 hour treatment. there were 6 colors available and the room was small and not especially comfortable. The massage was basic, not good, not bad but it was in a small, very basic room - very bare bones. The deck / pool area overlooking the sea was the best part of the experience including the wonderful gentleman waiter who brought coffee and cookies while I was waiting my turn.

1  Thank BrowneyedgirlSF
Reviewed 28 October 2012

This was truly a unique environment.. candlelit, votives lighting up the hallways and very different from the spas I'm used to in New Jersey/New York.. The staff at the Hotel Poseidon were very generous and the staff at the spa were friendly and warm. I had a pedicure done in a private room (which in the U.S.A. is very rare).. The products they use are amazing and natural and holistic... Great Hotel also, I'm considering it when I return..