“3 weeks in paradise”
other traveller has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

HOUSTON
“3 weeks in paradise”
Reviewed 30 July 2012 for a stay in July 2012
people found this review helpful

I rented this house from June 29 - July 18, 2012. First and foremost, let me say that I would (and will) stay at this property again - no questions asked. But there are a few things that you should know about this property in order to make a fully-informed decision about staying here. To be clear, I stayed here for 3 full weeks: with my girlfriend from June 29 - July 10th, and from July 9th to July 18th with my dad (age 85) and two kids (ages 14 and 11). So I had the unique experience of a "romantic" getaway as well as a "family" vacation. I'll try to be brief but thorough.

The service/owner: I dealt with the owner, Eliana, to handle the booking/rate as well as the day-to-day issues at the house. Chances are you will too. Eliana is a model owner. Before I met her in person, I sent her at least a dozen emails about her property - whether it had a washer/dryer (it does), how far it was to the beach (very close), what the parking was like (ideal), etc. I was so impressed with how quickly she responded to my emails. Then I met her in person on the day of our arrival. She greeted me with a big smile and big kiss. I felt like I had known her for years! She walked us through the house, gave us some advice about how to handle a few "issues" (more below) at the house, where to go, what to do, etc. In short, she's lovely. She's in her early '30s (sorry Eliana if I'm wrong about that - I love you just the same!). She came over several times to help us with a few things and even met us in Sorrento to show us around the square. She also worked with me on the payment of the rental fee after I had returned home to the U.S. In short: Eliana is a gem. Her husband, Giovanni, is also very nice. He owns/works at (I'm not sure which) a parking garage in Positano (more below) and has a moped rental business. We did not rent a moped since we had the car (but everyone else had a moped).

Getting to the house: I rented a car in Rome and drove to Positano. I did not have GPS in the car, but it was very easy and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys driving. Don't be scared away from renting a car by those who say that the Italians are aggressive or crazy drivers. They're not. In fact, I found them to be very good drivers. I live in Houston and I was much less concerned about idiots on the road when I was in Italy. Yes, the Italians drive fast and are very aggressive. But they are very 'defensive' drivers who anticipate the actions of other drivers. You will enjoy the experience. Anyway, the address to the house is 72 Via Laurito - but that doesn't exist on a map and there are no address signs to notify you that you have arrived! Rather, there is simply an iron gate (no markings) that you pass on the main road. It is on the main road between Amalfi and Positano (closer to Positano). We stopped and asked someone where Laurito Beach was and we got there without too much of a problem. If you arrive from Positano, about 1-2 minutes after you pass the Ceramica Casola, you will pass a "window box" of 4-5 manikins. Nido del Sole is the 2nd iron gate after that. Park on the street before or after the gate. You will walk down to the house from the street. It is a fairly steep walk - but my 85 year old father made it without a problem (down and up several times a day). So did my kids (although they complained a few times).

The house: the 'house' itself is below the terrace. The terrace is nice. It has a table, chairs, outdoor grill (wood), and two lounge/sun chairs. The terrace is covered with an arbor where it appears bougainvillea once thrived. The bougainvillea died or was cut back when we were there, so the terrace currently offers no shade (and it would be nice to have in the summer). But the view from the terrace is absolutely beautiful. My girlfriend and I enjoyed our morning coffee/tea up there, did yoga/stretching up there, and of course had many bottles of wine up there enjoying the view. We also laid out on the lounge chairs.

From the terrace, you walk down a small set of stairs to a landing area where you find the front door to the house. Also on this level you will find a few clothes lines where you will hang dry your clothes if you choose to wash.

Now the interior of the house: when you walk in, you are in the living/dining room. There is a small couch on the right, a dining table (with two chairs and a bench on the other sides that seats about 6 total), a small kitchen with a gas stovetop, a refrigerator (with a very small freezer), and some cabinets where the dishes/glasses are kept. There is also a small flat screen TV in this room that has some English-speaking channels (CNN, Cartoon Network, movie channels, etc.). The house did NOT have wi-fi, although Eliana tried for several months to get it. She told me the day after I left that the wi-fi was finally working!

The kitchen has basic pots/pans/glasses, a microwave (never used it), a small electric Moka coffee/espresso maker (loved it), and that's about it. No dishwasher. A small refrigerator and even smaller freezer complete the kitchen. Note to tea drinkers: we took a thermos with a tea strainer to make our hot tea. The water from the sink is potable and tastes pretty good - but we used bottle water to make our coffee/tea and to cook with, when necessary.

From the main room/kitchen, there is a hallway that leads to the 2 bedrooms and the bathroom. Along the hallway are several cabinets where Eliana keeps the extra bedding and towels. There is an iron, ironing board and a few extra blankets. We used a few of the cabinets to store the kids' clothes.

The 'master' bedroom is furnished with a queen sized bed, two small bedside tables (with a little light on each), a dresser (with 4-5 drawers), and a huge armoire (with 4 drawers) where you can hang your shirts/pants, if needed. There is also plenty of room in the armoire to store your luggage. The master has it's own air conditioner unit (and control), as well as a double window that looks out to the water (although it is partially blocked by some trees). The bed was comfortable, not luxurious for sure - but comfortable. There were 4 pillows - all of which were pretty thin - but again, they were comfortable.

The 2nd bedroom is furnished with two single beds (think Army cots), a small desk (with no utilitarian value to speak of since it had no drawers), a small bedside table with a lamp, and a window. No air conditioner in this room. The beds were not as comfortable as the master bed, but they were sufficient.

The bathroom has a tub/shower (combo), a bidet, a toilet (see *issues* below), a pedestal sink, a water heater, and a small washer/dryer. It is a small, but adequate, bathroom. The water gets hot very quickly and lasts for a long time. With 5 of us taking showers, we only once had a problem with 'cool' water for the last person. There is a switch behind the door to turn the water heater on and off. Eliana suggests that you turn the water heater OFF when you wake up in the morning and leave it off until you need to take showers later that evening. Follow her advice. We always had hot water.

**Issues: don't let the following dissuade you from renting this house. These are inconveniences, not deal-breakers. First, the toilet. Flushing the toilet can be a little interesting. There is a traditional European plastic button to push (above the toilet) which is similar in function to the American "handle". However, there is an art to making this toilet flush. You have to push the button about 50 - 60 times (no kidding) in a rapid fashion until you can hear a 'cascade' of water behind the wall. That's your indication that the water is filling the tank. Don't stop when you hear the 'trickle' as it's not ready. Wait for the 'cascade.' You'll know it when you hear it, believe me. Once you hear this cascade, go into the family room, get yourself a glass of wine, and wait for about 5 minutes. Then go back into the bathroom and hit the plastic button one more time (hold it down this time). You will hear a "whhhhoooooosh" and the toilet will have successfully flushed. We didn't know this little secret until Day 3 of our trip - so we (a/k/a my girlfriend) were fairly distressed about what we were in store for the 3 weeks. But once you are used to it, it's fine. It's just different.

Next, the electrical 'issue.' Sometimes, the electricity shuts off. No easy way to say this and no reason to sugarcoat it. I'm not sure if this is a Summertime issue (due to the high demand for electricity in the area) or if this is year round. But this can be tricky - especially when it goes out at night and it's pitch black inside the house. When it goes out, you have to walk up to the street (where the main breaker box is AND don't forget the gate keys to get out to the street) and flip the switch back to the 'on' position. The first few days that we were there, the electricity shut off several times. We finally decided that it was because the A/C units were on, my girlfriend was using the hairdryer, the lights in the kitchen and bedroom were on, and the water heater was turned on. Of course, I think the straw that broke the camel's back was the hairdryer! Anyway, once we flipped the switch on the breaker box, the lights came on, and we were back in business. But this does get kind of dicey at night. My advice would be to turn off the A/C at night when you are getting ready to go out (and the water heater is on). Then turn the A/C units on before bedtime. The house cools quickly.

The beaches: 50 meters from the front gate you will find the stairs that lead down to Laurito Beach, a private little beach. The walk is not for the faint at heart. It is 750 steps (525 stairs) from the first stair to the beach, and the steps are fairly steep. The walk down takes about 8 minutes and the walk up about 12 minutes if you are in pretty good shape. My father (age 85) made it down and back the first day he arrived, so it definitely can be done. But my advice is to simply take it easy. The path itself takes you through a beautiful and green canopy of trees and vegetation and ends just behind Da Adolfo's restaurant. Da Adolfo's is an outdoor restaurant under a giant palapa that serves refreshing beer, wine, and lunch. It closes around 3-4 p.m. They have a free boat service that shuttles guests back and forth from Positano to Laurito Beach that is convenient. Hotel Le Sirene is also located on this beach. It is tiny and looks very quant. The beach itself is rocky (no sand to be found in this area of the Amalfi coast), and can be quite painful to the uninitiated. So bring some sandals, swimming shoes, or flip flops. At the beach, you can rent a lounge chair and umbrella from Da Adolfo (I think it's about 10 euros per person, but they never asked us to pay). The water is beautiful, clear, and cool. It is a family beach with kids of all ages. Topless bathing is common. One of the biggest benefits to Laurito Beach is that you don't have to drive into Positano or Amalfi and pay for parking. You just walk from the house. Nice and convenient. The downside is that the stairs can be challenging, especially after a few bottles of wine at Da Adolfo's!!

Positano Beach: the beaches in Positano are great. They are big, well-furnished, and there are lots of shops/restaurants to walk to when you get tired of the water/sun. You can take a bus from the house (about 2 euros) that drops you off about a 10-minute walk away from the beach. This is very convenient. However, you have to know the bus schedule. Or you can drive there from the house. This is what I did just about every day when my dad/kids were with me. The reason: no steps. It was easier for my dad. The downside: you pay about 3 - 4 euros per hour to park in one of the private lots along the road. Then, when you get to the beach, it is 12.50 euros per person for a chair/umbrella. So a family of 4 will pay 50 euros just to get some sun/water. That's about $75 just to get sun, plus another $30 - $40 in parking depending on how long you stay. Obviously, that adds up. So I recommend that you take the bus from the house (be patient - it's Italy, not Paris or Munich!) to Positano. Or you can rent a moped and park pretty much anywhere without the expense. There is also a 'free' public beach in Positano with no lounge chairs/umbrellas if you want to go that route.

Amalfi Beach: Amalfi is about 12-14 km from the house. Great little town with a small stretch of beach. Again, you have to find a Parcheggio (parking lot) or a meter, but it will cost you about 3 euros per hour to park. The beaches here are nice - but are very small (like '30 yards wide' small). Like Positano, the beaches here have the advantage of having shops and restaurants within walking distance, so this may be more appealing to a family where not everyone is interested in working on their George Hamilton tan.

Groceries/supplies: every morning I drove into Praiano (5 minutes) and went shopping at the little shops for our daily needs (baguettes, cheese, wine, prosciutto, veggies, fruit, etc.). (Yes, I know I could have 'stocked up' - but by doing so I would have missed out on my daily excursions to these wonderful and quant little stores). You will never taste such delicious fruit and veggies in your life (oh, did I mention the tomatoes? Simply amazing. And the peaches!!!).

Telephone/Wi-Fi. I took my iPhone (with Verizon) and it worked great. Occasionally, I lost signal at the house. But 90% of the time, I could make and receive calls without a problem. Same thing on the beaches at Laurito, Positano, and Amalfi. Phone works fine. As far as wi-fi is concerned, there was none at the house as stated above. But I think Eliana is working on that as I write. Also, I think the house is 'hard wired' so that you can plug in and use your laptop. But we had iPhones and iPads only - so we needed wi-fi. Pretty much every beach you go to has a restaurant with wi-fi. They give you the password when you buy something, so you are always able to get wi-fi if you've got to have it.

SUMMARY: Go there with an open mind. This is not the Four Seasons. But it is a nice house with amazing views located in what is truly one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
megs0360
Seattle, Washington
“Great place near Positano”
Reviewed 6 June 2012 for a stay in May 2012

The owner, Eliana, could not have been more helpful prior and during our stay. The property was beautiful and spacious for our stay on the Amalfi Coast. We rented a cara to do day trips, and parking was available there. My husband and I enjoyed having a kitchen so we could eat breakfast and sometimes cook dinner at the property. Also recommend getting delicious pizza delivery from nearby La Taverna del Leone. We appreciated having a washing machine on site as well. The view from the terrace was unforgettable. Highly recommend!

Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Travelgde
Naperville, IL
“Could it be better? I don't think so!”
Reviewed 5 December 2011 for a stay in October 2011
people found this review helpful

My wife and I stayed at Positano Il Nido del Sol for 11 days. We decided that we would like to have a central base at Positano to enjoy Amalfi coast and relax. We chose this accommodation based on previouys reviews at TripAdvisor. Let me share with you our impressions.
1. The owner Eliana is absolutely amazing in fast and accurate email and phone communications. She is willing to negotiate the price, accommodated our request for internet key, was willing to wait for pay until we were drawing the cash from ATMs for 5 days. She is a pleasure to deal with!
2. Location is perfect. It's in between Positano and Priaro. The stand alone house is hanging just above the sea. The parking is easy (well..., I was raised in crowded European city). There is no noise from the road above the house, and it's absolute privacy.
3. Accommodation is good for the money; it's not luxury, but it has great master bedroom with a lot of character and queen bed. The second room is small and good for night sleep only. The kitchen-living-dining room is spacey and well equipped. The bathroom is good; ask Eliana to fix the bottom faucet before your stay.
4. Positano is a great place, but we traveled along the coast a lot; bought all supplies in Auchan superstore in Pompei once a week and cooked at home.

Liked best: View!!!

Reviewed 4 June 2011 for a stay in April 2011
person found this review helpful

Your age range 35-44
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing