“Great views & food”
Review of Il Capitano

Il Capitano
Ranked #27 of 85 Restaurants in Positano
Price range: US$56 - US$156
Good for: Romantic, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Instagram: ristorante_il_capitano
“Great views & food”
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Despite the mixed reviews, we gave this a try based on the location. Tables are away from the main road, with great views over the sea and Positano. We had starters, pizza and desert. All done well and tasty. Service was good. Would be very happy to go again.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
glasgow
“Location is 5 stars; food is 2 stars.”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Loved this place for the location - what a view over the sea and the town.I am a food fuss pot but even my husband agreed what we had was bland and tourist-orientated quick meal stuff.His mixed fish starter had little flavour.Pasta choices were weird and not that appealing abut I finally went for an anchovy , sundried tomato and sweet pepper dish(love all these things but together?) and it was,as I suspected, a bad mistake.The worst pasta dish I've ever had....the sauce was deeply unpleasant.Managed to pull the spaghetti out of it,sprinkle it in parmesan and at least enjoy that.My husband's meat stew was poor....little of it and tasteless.Quite annoying given the prices.Noticed lots of people just having pizza which might have worked out better all round.Tried the Tiramisu and it was one of those fancy super-sweet bought - in concoctions which was not good. Barely any taste of alcohol soaked sponge.What have Italian restaurants done to what should be one of their great desserts?I can this make 10 times better at home! Poor show...they really treat tourists like mugs in this part of Italy.
But we did enjoy those cocktails on a stunning balcony.

Positano, Italy
“Fabulous view but the food not good”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were so impressed with view, but unfortunately when the food arrived it was very bland.Risotto
Was very average, very little seafood and was regular rice, certainly not risotto. Compared to all the other restaurants we ate at, this one was certainly the worst. In fact, it was the worst meal we had in our months travel in France and Italy.

Capitola, California
“Loved the Pizza!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is a great value in Positano! Went there for dinner and wished I had been there at sunset because the view is quite spectacular. Pizza's were well priced and very delicious. The eggplant raviolis were incredible. I ate here on the last night of my stay in Positano which was very unfortunate because I would have returned for another dinner. The service was very attentive and the wine list had a great selection of wines from Campania.

• Visited May 2014
“Great food, great spot and reasonable price”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I recommend this restaurant if you are travelling through Positano. It is heading towards the outskirts of town but for this reason has a great view over the water. The waiters were good and the food great, seafood pasta dishes were the highlight. Overall a lovely evening and very reasonably priced as one other reviewer mentioned it is definitely not a tourist trap. I would however, avoid the restaurant in rainy weather as it is covered by sails and we got a litttle wet. Do not let this dissuade you if it's decent weather though.