“Wonderful”

Ranked #8 of 48 Positano B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

What makes a difference between a OK B&B and a great B&B is the host!!! And here, you have a GREAT B&B with Giovanni, Rachella and the rest of the family that are the warmest, friendly, authentic people. We stayed 4 nights in mid september. From the time we arrived at the bus stop in Positano where Giovanni was kind enough to come pick us up, to the moment we left, we were treated as part of the family. If you did not book to stay you have to go for supper. We ate there three nights (tried one evening at another restaurant in Positano and paid three times the price and were disapointed) and every night was just great "home made" real Italian food. You have to try the Bruschetta. Divine!!!!! Hard place to beat.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the newest room with a large terrace with a great view of Praiano
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed here (four of us) and felt like we were instantly family with Giovanni and Mario. And all the beautiful women who helped make outstanding meals every night for us. We stayed here for 5 nights and never once ate anywhere other than barilotto. The food was amazing and so full of love. I miss this place and the friendly family staff. They sang to us at dinner every night and we felt at home. Giovanni was great and would drop us off downtown and pick us up. We loved every minute and thank him for creating such a beautiful place. We truly appreciate all the love and look forward to seeing them all again!!!!!
Much Love and we miss ALL of you!!!! Thank you for everything. We miss the fritatta and eggplant and most of all Massimo!
Kristen and Nancy
Mary Lou and Linda

Rotterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Al Barilotto Del Nonno hotel about a week ago. You can't fault this place. Giovanni and his family made us feel most welcome and helped us out in every way possible (e.g. help in parking the car, dropping us off at the beach or in Positano centre etc)! If you want to visit one of the most beautiful regions in Italy, in an incredibly friendly and clean place with sea view without paying a fortune, then this is the place to be! If we ever get back to Positano, we will be staying here again!

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view. There are three types of rooms and price ranges, standard rooms on the firs...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

My stay was an absolute last minute thing to join some friends who were staying in Positano & asked me to come and join them so cue a frantic scramble to find anywhere with a spare bed in Positano at the beginning of August - not an easy task I assure you! I happened across Al Barilotto Del Nonno on TA and after a very relaxed exchange with Giovanni over email I managed to reserve one of his 'Superior' rooms (as advised by other reviewers on TA) just the day before and so I set off with some trepidation and just hoping for something half-decent...

Of course I needn't have worried. I'd warned Giovanni that I would be arriving at about 11:30pm but he told me not to worry as he would be there to welcome me. And welcome me he did - like a long lost son! Having taken me to his "best room" on the top floor (no.8 if you're wondering) he opened the door and I nearly fell over with relief! The superior room was well worth springing for - simple and white tiled, very clean & fresh, with new shower room (good strong shower too!) with toilet & bidet, sink & mirror, plus a really lovely little balcony with views over the bay and 2 sun loungers. It was spacious and had a good sized double bed which was very comfortable. The room also had good air conditioning which was a god-send as it was incredibly hot and humid that week, but it only works if the doors to the balcony are closed (good tip to save you trying to work out why your A/C isn't working when you come home late!). All in all it was perfect.

Then, Giovanni - in an example of what I was to discover was entirely typical of his kindness - insisted that I must be hungry and so took me to their enchanting restaurant terrace where he sat me down and then apologised profusely that they had closed for the night (it was nearly midnight) so couldn't offer me much, but would a tomato salad & something else be OK? I'm a veggie, so not hoping for much said just a salad would be fine, but he assured me they'd do me a plate of something. A bottle of white wine and some water appeared and I sat there alone, entranced by the view and a little dazed by the reception, the kindness, the glittering lights on the sea below and my incredible good fortune at finding a gem like this. Giovanni returned with a pile of the ripest, most tomato-ey tomatoes with mozzarella and fresh bread. I was in heaven. Then a plate of aubergine parmigiana - the best I've ever had. As I ate, Giovanni worked gently around me getting the restaurant ready for breakfast & stopping to chat now and then, and I realised that I felt inexplicably 'at home' here (as I'm sure you will if you choose to visit). I told him this was paradise. He smiled and said that he knew.

Creating that sort of atmosphere in a hotel or restaurant is almost impossible in my experience without real love & care, and it is clear Giovanni & his family have imbued Al Barilotto with it through their kindness & generosity. I feel like I have made a friend for life in Giovanni in only a few days and have assured him I will be back & bring my family & friends. I can't really recommend it much more highly than that!

On just a practical note I'd just like to add that on several occasions Giovanni or one of his nephews were kind enough drive me into Positano which takes about 10 mins otherwise or a €20 or so taxi ride. There is also a bus which goes from next to Al Barilotto. Beaches very close such as Arienzo which is small but very nice with a beach bar/cafe & with a useful boat taxi ride to Positano for €5. Breakfast was on the terrace again & lovely too with fresh home-made cake which you must try, and of course good coffee too, plus as much fresh fruit as you can eat! I could go on & on, but basically, come to Positano and stay here. You'll fall in love with it.

Room Tip: Superior rooms on top floor have air con and balcony & seem pretty new. They're simple, clea...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Richard R
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. Giovanni and his entire family were incredibly kind and gracious. You get a beautiful view of the sea from the rooms and the restaurant. The food is AMAZING!! (coming from son of a chef and NY foodies). Everyone & everything about this place is terrific. You will fall in love with it. I use trip advisor as my bible when traveling & was only motivated to write a review after this place...that's how awesome it was!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Unlike many little hotels in the area, here you will find wonderfully clean, simple and comfortable rooms. Airy, white and clean with air con and a good sized bathroom with shower. Rates are very good for the area in high season.

The owners are wonderfully kind and welcoming. Breakfast is served on the charming terrace, which is where the restaurant also is (and you should definitely try that too. Spaghetti alle vongole are amazing. Fresh, juicy and full of flavour, with no sand - and i've tried a lot).

The view from here is breathtaking. The Amalfi coast is elevated from sea level. Bus stop both to/from Positano as well as the SITA bus to Sorrento or Salerno is just outside. You can also walk to Positano in about half an hr, you will get great views, but not recommended at night as the streets are not very well lit and cars drive quite fast. Buses run regularly, so you will be well connected.

There are also little beaches in bays before you reach Positano, which you are signed in certain steps going down.

Wonderful little place to stay, we were made to feel very at home. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms on the last floor (I believe rooms 5 - 10 are new and have balconies with deck chairs and an i...
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

This hotel is a little oasis on the main Sorento to Amalfi Road, just outside Positano. Myself and my husband enjoyed five wonderful days in Al Barlotto del Nonno and can highly recommend this hotel if you are in the area. The bus stops right outside the hotel so don't be put off that it's not in the middle of Positano, which is probably better!!!! Giovanni and his family are superb hosts and went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. The views from the very spacious rooms are amazing & we spent many an hour just looking out over the Bay of Naples!!!! Breakfast was a delight with many home grown fruits and all cakes were baked by Giovanni's sister - delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would strongly recommend this hotel and a special thanks to Giovanni for following us to Amalfi with our passports!!!