“Stay here. It’s that simple.”

and 1 more site!
Al Barilotto Del Nonno
Ranked #9 of 53 Positano B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2013

What a time we had in Positano. It was our first time there, but it is quite possibly my favourite place in the world and there is no doubt that the reason I fell in love with Positano was because of the people I met there – in particular the owner of Barilotto del Nonno: Giovanni and his family – Rachael, Mario, Philip and Massimo. They are the warmest, friendliest people I have ever met on my travels. We were treated, and felt like, family whilst we were there. I cried when we left because it was like leaving family behind - they were so wonderful and made our experience so special.

B&Bs were not on my travel agenda before this trip to Europe. However, upon reading TripAdvisor and the fantastic reviews about Barilotto del Nonno, I thought it would be fitting to stay in a homely rather than commercial hotel environment when visiting what once was a “fishing village”.

On arrival we were greeted with open arms by Giovanni, like he was seeing returning friends – yet it was the first time we’d laid eyes on each other. His enthusiasm for his beautiful hometown of Positano, the “pearl of Italy” is uplifting, his zest for life and the enjoyment he gets from making his guests happy is fantastic. He dropped us into town or the beach every day, gave us his number and told us to call when we were out and about if we needed him for anything at all.
Rachael and Mario serenaded us at dinner and breakfast with their wonderful singing. It was such a magical experience.

All I can say is thank-you to Giovanni, Rachael, Mario, Philip and Massimo.

Pros
- We had room 6 on the top level on the corner. It was a beautiful, clean, white, sunny and large room. Lots of storage space, a lovely bathroom and a large balcony with sun loungers and a beautiful ceramic table
- The view is to die for
- Sitting in the restaurant for breakfast or dinner you feel like you’re in a movie. It is lush and green with endless views of the azure water. Jut stunning
- We ate there 3 of the 6 nights we stayed in Positano because the food is excellent. On our last night they didn’t have what I wanted on the menu, but they wouldn’t hear of me changing my mind – they made me a special order

Cons
None. The centre of Positano is 20 – 30 minutes walk away. The best beach, Arienzo, is 15 minutes and a very steep set of many stairs away. But the distance is irrelevant as there is the local bus as well as the Sita bus, taxis and of course Giovanni to get you everywhere!

Oh, I just thought of a negative – leaving. I definitely did not want to leave!

Room Tip: Get a superior room. They are on the top level and have amazing views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Eurofriends
There are newer reviews for Al Barilotto Del Nonno

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed here a few nights and it was great. They really take care of you. Giovanni was very helpful, dropping us off in town, helping us pick a boat, and arranging transport to the airport.
I have allergies, so I really appreciated the nice, new and clean superior room. The view from room was great. It is about 3 KM from Positano, though.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Giovanni and his family are so friendly and helpful. The rooms are great and have fantastic views. The food was very good with live entertainment from the whole staff. Giovanni help guide our daily activities and even drove us to Positano a few times to help us get started. Really a fantastic B&B run by a wonderful family. I see why so many keep returning to Al Bariloto del Nonno.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

What makes a difference between a OK B&B and a great B&B is the host!!! And here, you have a GREAT B&B with Giovanni, Rachella and the rest of the family that are the warmest, friendly, authentic people. We stayed 4 nights in mid september. From the time we arrived at the bus stop in Positano where Giovanni was kind enough to come pick us up, to the moment we left, we were treated as part of the family. If you did not book to stay you have to go for supper. We ate there three nights (tried one evening at another restaurant in Positano and paid three times the price and were disapointed) and every night was just great "home made" real Italian food. You have to try the Bruschetta. Divine!!!!! Hard place to beat.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the newest room with a large terrace with a great view of Praiano
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed here (four of us) and felt like we were instantly family with Giovanni and Mario. And all the beautiful women who helped make outstanding meals every night for us. We stayed here for 5 nights and never once ate anywhere other than barilotto. The food was amazing and so full of love. I miss this place and the friendly family staff. They sang to us at dinner every night and we felt at home. Giovanni was great and would drop us off downtown and pick us up. We loved every minute and thank him for creating such a beautiful place. We truly appreciate all the love and look forward to seeing them all again!!!!!
Much Love and we miss ALL of you!!!! Thank you for everything. We miss the fritatta and eggplant and most of all Massimo!
Kristen and Nancy
Mary Lou and Linda

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Al Barilotto Del Nonno hotel about a week ago. You can't fault this place. Giovanni and his family made us feel most welcome and helped us out in every way possible (e.g. help in parking the car, dropping us off at the beach or in Positano centre etc)! If you want to visit one of the most beautiful regions in Italy, in an incredibly friendly and clean place with sea view without paying a fortune, then this is the place to be! If we ever get back to Positano, we will be staying here again!

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view. There are three types of rooms and price ranges, standard rooms on the firs...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My stay was an absolute last minute thing to join some friends who were staying in Positano & asked me to come and join them so cue a frantic scramble to find anywhere with a spare bed in Positano at the beginning of August - not an easy task I assure you! I happened across Al Barilotto Del Nonno on TA and after a very relaxed exchange with Giovanni over email I managed to reserve one of his 'Superior' rooms (as advised by other reviewers on TA) just the day before and so I set off with some trepidation and just hoping for something half-decent...

Of course I needn't have worried. I'd warned Giovanni that I would be arriving at about 11:30pm but he told me not to worry as he would be there to welcome me. And welcome me he did - like a long lost son! Having taken me to his "best room" on the top floor (no.8 if you're wondering) he opened the door and I nearly fell over with relief! The superior room was well worth springing for - simple and white tiled, very clean & fresh, with new shower room (good strong shower too!) with toilet & bidet, sink & mirror, plus a really lovely little balcony with views over the bay and 2 sun loungers. It was spacious and had a good sized double bed which was very comfortable. The room also had good air conditioning which was a god-send as it was incredibly hot and humid that week, but it only works if the doors to the balcony are closed (good tip to save you trying to work out why your A/C isn't working when you come home late!). All in all it was perfect.

Then, Giovanni - in an example of what I was to discover was entirely typical of his kindness - insisted that I must be hungry and so took me to their enchanting restaurant terrace where he sat me down and then apologised profusely that they had closed for the night (it was nearly midnight) so couldn't offer me much, but would a tomato salad & something else be OK? I'm a veggie, so not hoping for much said just a salad would be fine, but he assured me they'd do me a plate of something. A bottle of white wine and some water appeared and I sat there alone, entranced by the view and a little dazed by the reception, the kindness, the glittering lights on the sea below and my incredible good fortune at finding a gem like this. Giovanni returned with a pile of the ripest, most tomato-ey tomatoes with mozzarella and fresh bread. I was in heaven. Then a plate of aubergine parmigiana - the best I've ever had. As I ate, Giovanni worked gently around me getting the restaurant ready for breakfast & stopping to chat now and then, and I realised that I felt inexplicably 'at home' here (as I'm sure you will if you choose to visit). I told him this was paradise. He smiled and said that he knew.

Creating that sort of atmosphere in a hotel or restaurant is almost impossible in my experience without real love & care, and it is clear Giovanni & his family have imbued Al Barilotto with it through their kindness & generosity. I feel like I have made a friend for life in Giovanni in only a few days and have assured him I will be back & bring my family & friends. I can't really recommend it much more highly than that!

On just a practical note I'd just like to add that on several occasions Giovanni or one of his nephews were kind enough drive me into Positano which takes about 10 mins otherwise or a €20 or so taxi ride. There is also a bus which goes from next to Al Barilotto. Beaches very close such as Arienzo which is small but very nice with a beach bar/cafe & with a useful boat taxi ride to Positano for €5. Breakfast was on the terrace again & lovely too with fresh home-made cake which you must try, and of course good coffee too, plus as much fresh fruit as you can eat! I could go on & on, but basically, come to Positano and stay here. You'll fall in love with it.

Room Tip: Superior rooms on top floor have air con and balcony & seem pretty new. They're simple, clea...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo