“Oasis of Calm & Beauty”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Edgewood, Washington
“Oasis of Calm & Beauty”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

After touring the Amalfi Coast and surrounding countryside (Sorrento, Naples, Amalfi, Positano) in a small tour, we were brought to this beautiful Relais & Chateaux Property for lunch.
If you didn't know where it was, you would drive right by, as the road view of the property does not belie what is below the street level.
Take the stairs, the views at each level and turn will enchant you.
The property itself is exquisite, as you enter the restaurant through the main lobby, notice a terrace for sitting to the right.
The meal itself, for our group, was a pre-selected menu with 2 choices for salad, 2 entrees. We all enjoyed the same antipasto, pasta, and dessert.
Every step of this well orchestrated meal was fine tuned, to delight the senses with the best that Positano & the surrounding areas had to offer. Americans who are gluten-averse are well-advised to enjoy the pasta fresca (fresh) with relish, or risk missing out on one of the best parts of the meal.
You will not be disappointed by the fine dining and excellent views accompanied by liveried servers.
Save your Euro for this one, and Bon Appetit!

• Turkish first
Warsaw, Poland
“Excellent food & spectacular surroundings”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Lovely place for lunch, especially if the weather is sunny and you can enjoy the views (see pictures). The food is really good (although some dishes are overpriced).

Example prices:
- starter: 30+ EUR (pictured - 34/35 EUR);
- main course: 37 EUR (fish - pictured);
- dessert: 17 EUR (pictured);
- rose wine: 33 EUR
15% service charge shall be added to your bill.

The staff is skilled, although not always as nice as they may be.

Be careful not to pass by - the place is on the right side of left corner (while driving from Positano) - you will see a small building (which is actually only a top of the place) with a tiny bell on its roof, with small parking place in front (you will be asked to hand in the keys, as the staff move the cars if necessary), see picture.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Warsaw_Mario
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Summer 2011 Review”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

After years of non-contribution, here we go!

I will start with the most negative hospitality experience in recent years. This will be a short description of events, mainly to illustrate a few points regarding attitudes of locals and fellow travelers. Please note! the issues described have been resolved with the proprietors and all matters discussed and a resolution reached.

Dined at the main restaurant at the hotel, while staying at their sister hotel; Palazzo Murat, for the third time. A separate review will be posted for Palazzo Murat at a later stage.

On July 22nd. 2011, my sister and I dined at the hotel's main restaurant. We chose this place based on recommendations from friends. Upon arrival, we were seated, as requested, at an outdoor table with views. Apart from two other tables, all other terrace tables were free. We were later told that no other reservations had been placed.

The nightmare began when we were seated next to a four pax table. This turned out to be the most awful night of our lives, not exaggerating! four of the most horrible people we could ever encounter sat right next to us. What appeared to be two American couples with the worst manners in the world destroyed what should have been a pleasant and agreeable night out.

Besides being extremely loud and obnoxious, the women in particular, were constantly giving us long evil stares, of which kind, I have never before encountered. With both my sister and I having been models, and far from unpleasant looking, we stand out in any setting, but this was unusually rude. While this was going on, the Maitre d' did nothing to intervene. Normally, I would request another table, and address the issue straight away. However, this can tire even the most seasoned travelers. To our detriment, I spoke up too late. Indeed, the Maitre d', although courteous, spent most of his time chatting with the head waiter right behind us. Naturally, he must have witnessed what was happening right in front of him.

The following day, I filed a complaint to the manager of our hotel, given that the same family manages both establishments. He was excellent and dealt with the issue promptly when I simply couldn't. As an apology, Il San Pietro extended an offer of lunch on the 24th which we accepted.

The Food:

Average. Good intentions, but does not meet expectations. Dishes too rustic for the price tag. I know it is Campania, but still. Appears to rely heavily on past reputation.

When the bill arrived, I was charged 20 percent service charge, which I found unacceptable, given the events of the night.

The Place:

Restaurant staff courteous. Main reception staff, an elderly lady, rude and arrogant. Both establishments/hotels, although welcoming and courteous, do suffer from the occasional attitude problem.This appears to be a growing problem, with mass tourism on the rise. Great view over the bay. In my opinion, one of the best scenic views on the coast. The Beach restaurant enjoys a fantastic location in a semi cave near the water.

Fellow travelers (and tourists):

Not like they used to be. With Russians and Asians to annoy us now, very few are paying attention to the Americans anymore. However, I do want to warn everyone about the two couples mentioned in this review. If anyone know who they are (very plain looking people, with manky hair and glasses), please make them stay in the US. Vile and envious people like that, should not be out in society!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Island_Living75
Raynham
“INCREDIBLE!”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Cannot say enough about our experience at this restaurant and hotel in general. We only wish we had stayed here instead of the hotel we chose. From beginning to end, the night was a fairy tale...incredible customer service...definite five star all the way!
The food was amazing! The waitstaff and manager were so very attentive to our each and every need. I recall knocking over my glass of water and in a split second, my waiter was standing at my table cleaning up my mess!
We were even offered a private tour of the hotel premises by the manager. Attention to detail at its finest!!!
We may not have though to visit Positano again on our next trip to Italy, but because of our experience at the San Pietro, we will plan our trip around a stay at their beautiful hotel! Bravo!
Lynne and Joe Gilbody

Visited September 2013
4 Thank LynneB1966
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Dazzled!”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Il San Pietro was one of the most memorable dining experiences of our lives. The food, while excellent, and beautifully presented, paled in comparison to the dizzying panoramic views of the Mediterranean. Perched and carved into the mountainside, the hotel, restaurant and grounds are nestled into some of the most beautiful real estate we've ever seen. How could any meal be a disappointment in that setting? Unforgettable!

• Visited September 2013