“Exceptional Staff - Nice Hotel - Do not Rent Scooter from Pepe's”
Review of Hotel Miramare

Hotel Miramare
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Holmdel, NJ
“Exceptional Staff - Nice Hotel - Do not Rent Scooter from Pepe's”
Reviewed 24 October 2007

Rosita and Romeo are exceptional. They are truly the kindest people I have ever met at a hotel. They will make your hotel stay memorable, enjoyable and unforgettable. Their service is what makes this hotel stand out from many others. We had room #212 and it was basic, had simple furnishings, was clean, big balcony and an amazing view. This hotel does not claim to be luxury and it definitely isn't. But you may have higher expectations of the rooms based off of the reviews like I did! I think satisfaction also depends on which room you stay in. I peeked into a few of the rooms during our stay and some are tiny and others much nicer even though the price differential is minimal. Our room was not available all 6 nights and we stayed in the Annex our first night. I was not satisfied with that room at all - and if I had to stay in that type of room for 6 nights I probably would have checked out early. I would not recommend the Annex if that was the only room available for your stay.

Rosita uses Pepe's Scooter exclusively for rentals. The first day we had an AMAZING day touring the coast. It was honestly one of the best days of my life - it was so fun and beautiful. Unfortunately, we got into an accident the second day when we lost control of the bike on a one way, hair pin turn in Ravello from a divet in the road. We crashed into a wall and were both thrown off of the bike. We walked away with a few scratches and bruises but were alive thank god! We broke the front light and dented the fender. We assumed we would have to pay the insurance deductible. The owner was not sure "how it works" and would let us know the next day. Kind of scary if you are running a business. The next day he handed us a piece of paper that his wife typed up, not an actual estimate from a mechanic and told us the charge was over $1000 US to replace the light and fender. We were shocked at the price, paid $850 and figured we would discuss with Rosita as well as American Express. I have the AMEX Platinum card and apparently they do not insure Italy car rentals or scooters in general! Good to know! Rosita was appalled that Pepe charged us so much based off of all the business she gives his store exclusively and she told us not to pay. She called him, he said he would suspend the charge (which of course he didn't). Here we are back in the states and there is nothing anyone can do now, including Rosita. Accidents do happen, make sure you have insurance or that the business you are renting from does - otherwise you will be paying a lot of money.

Obviously, above is not a reflection of Rosita and her hotel. And I am not one to complain about my personal travel problems but I think the situation above is worth mentioning in a forum such as this since it was a vendor that Albergo Miramare uses. Enjoy Positano, it rates as one of the most beautiful places we have ever visited.

• Liked — Rosita and Romeo
  • Disliked — Climbing the stairs was exhausting after a nice dinner, the Annex room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank joejend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Culver City, California
Reviewed 18 October 2007

We just got back from our Italy trip a few days ago. We took a train from Rome to Naples, and with our Rome hotel concierge in advance, on the referral from the Miramare hotel, we booked a private driver to pick us up from the Naples Train Station. It cost 110 well spent euros. A handsome Italian guy in a snappy suit picked us up in a Mercedes and the very relaxing ride took a little over an hour. We were met by the porter at the hotel who carried our bags down the steps to the hotel in Positano. I don't know how they do it.

We booked what I think is the best room in the hotel, Room 210. Although 209 has a great view over the tub, it has a small balcony. 210 has a balcony so large it can be considered a separate room. The arched window w/ french doors takes up the entire wall, so it has a very spacious open airy feel. So you can all stand in the tub in 209 to see the great views, or you can have a big fat balcony in 210. One night we hung out on the lounge chairs and watched a lightning storm over the ocean in the distance. 210 also has a sitting room by the entry door, bedroom and shower with wall of glass. When the sun is beaming in, you might need sunscreen to take a shower. If I ran the boat service down below, I’d have the crowd wave up at the shower window, to give whoever is taking a shower a heart attack. Heh. I don’t think anyone can really see you taking a shower, but it’s kind of bizarre to be so exposed; but it’s still a fun experience. We could have booked a room at the newer Le Siranuse for 800 euros a night, but we would have missed out on the old world charm that this hotel possesses in spades. If you’re going to stay here, then book a special room. I think any room on the top floor would do. I should also mention that our views from shower and balcony were beyond spectacular.

We ordered coffee for two one morning and not long after received a generous tray of cappuccinos, croissants w/ jam, orange/apricot juice and a basket of breads w/ butter. Very nice. We did have breakfast down in the sunroom, but compared to the fantastic breakfasts that we’d experienced in the hotels we’d stayed at in Rome and Prague, the room delivery of coffee, juice and croissants on the terrace of our room on a sunny morning was what made it special.

Rosita was super, as was all of the staff. We told her that we had wanted to see the blue grotto but we were hesitant because we’d heard negative things about the waiting, the crowds the claustrophobia, so we weren’t sure. That brilliant woman suggested instead that we visit the Emerald grotto, which would be part of a day tour, which would be much less crowded and located across from a big pottery gallery. I drooled. My husband had been itching to hire a private driver on our three week trip, so here was his chance.

Our driver, Alex, picked us up in an upgraded Mercedes and took us first from Positano to the pottery factory across the street from the grotto, which is full of gorgeous stuff, the driver knew the owners (duh) so we were treated very well, given delicious hand squeezed orange juice, shown special pottery rooms – I got a gorgeous hand painted lemon platter that was sooooo expensive, but worth it to me - I felt like we were buying a suit from Armani. The Emerald Grotto was not crowded, 5 euros, fun, fascinating, and we were in there for 15 minutes, not in and out like on Capri. It’s beautiful and huge and under the water you can see nativity sculptures. Alex then took us to Amalfi where we spent an hour or so visiting the church and tasting lemoncello, then on to the small town of Ravella, where we had a brilliant lunch in a family style restaurant overrun with hungry Italian kitties and a tour of these beautiful medieval gardens. By far the best spaghetti fruta de mare and figs with prosciutto that we’d had during our 10 days in Italy. When we couldn’t fit in dessert, the owner gave us grapes from her garden so we’d have something sweet to munch on. It was one of the best days of my life, and the day tour cost us 230 euros for almost 6 hours, friendly service and really great advice. We saw hordes of tourists taking buses or stuck in the towns they were staying in because they didn't have a car, or taking boats to Capri because there’s not much to do in Positano - we avoided all of that. We only really had one full day in Positano, so this was a great way to spend it. If we had had another day, we would have visited Capri. Good excuse to go back.

In my opinion, Positano is the perfect base location for a stay on the Amalfi coast. You can get to the other towns (or island) by private driver, taxi, ferry, bus. It’s the best town to simply relax. Cuisine is going to be good everywhere, but to me, shopping dollars here are best spent on the hand painted pottery, and anything lemony, although Positano has plenty of shopping opportunities.

We also booked the driver to take us back to the Naples Airport when we left the Miramare, probably because we were exhausted from all the stairs we climbed. :-)

• Liked — That our hotel room window wasn't bricked up.
  • Disliked — Leaving.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Brendadc
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 16 October 2007

We stayed for 2 nights at Albergo Miramare, which was not nearly enough time! After reading everyone's reviews on Trip Advisor, we booked our stay with Rosita. As we couldn't decide which room we wanted- we knew we wanted the "special" rooms- either 210 or 209. So, we asked for each room for 1 night! We were worried Rosita would think we were a pain, but she happily obliged and we are grateful forever!

The 1st night we stayed in Room 209- which is the room with the rainhead shower in the tub! The room is actually right next to the check in desk, but to prevent noise, you actually go thru 2 doors to get into the room! Once in the room, you don't hear a thing in the lobby!

The room was big!!! There is a large bed, and then there is a sofa right next to doors that open onto the patio. The patio is not that deep, but it is very wide/long. There are a couple cozy chairs and a end table. The view is wonderful!

The bathroom is great! I have decided I now want a rainhead in my bathroom- it was my first time using one and i love it! I had a crystal clear view down to the water and the pier where people load onto the boats- I could see them...don't know if they could see me! There is also a window above the vanity we opened for a fresh breeze.

The next day we packed up our luggage since we knew we were switching rooms, and while we were out for the day, the staff moved out luggage for us to room 210. Room 210 is down a long hallway and up a flight of steps.

Now let me tell you- We loved room 209, but we LOVED room 210. Without a doubt, after getting to experience both rooms, room 210 winds hands down! Let me tell you why:

#1- In room 210, the bed is right next to the french doors. At night, we could lay in bed, open the french doors, watch the moon and hear the sound of the water. In room 209, the bed is farther from the french doors. You could still see the outside, but not nearly as well as room 210.

#2- The patio- it is huge! There were 2 chaise lounges with a table in between, as well as a table and 2 chairs. The patio also had lights and creeping ivy overhead and it was magical. Also, while we thought the view in room 209 was good, the view in 210 was better! It was amazing how content we were sitting on the chaise lounges all day, sipping wine and eating crackers, cheese, and olives. We only left the room to go to dinner, do some shopping, and then in the evening layed back outside on the chaise lounges and watched the water!

Room 209 seemed larger then room 210, but for us, the view was everything. After exploring Italy for 2 weeks, Positano was our last stop. It was definately the most expensive for price per night, but it was so far above and beyond what we expected, we would love to come back for an entire week some day!

Rosita was wonderful! She was sooo adorable and friendly and we just loved her! She gave us a map and told us which restaurants had what, what was expensive, and where to walk around. I have to say, out of everywhere we stayed in Italy- she was the friendliest, warmest host.

We opted to eat breakfast in the dining room both mornings, and each day there was only 1 other couple in there (we ate around 9 am each morning) so it was not ever crowded. They have a great selection- bread, juices, cappucino, fruit, pastries, yogurt, etc.

We were a little disappointed the complimentary boat was not running as the weather was literally perfect the day we wanted to go, but as I said above, we opted to drink, eat, and sunbathe on our patio, and loved it!

Albergo Miramare is fantastic! We could not have asked for more!

• Liked — The view!!! Positano is the most beautiful place I have ever been!
  • Disliked — The stairs!!! As Rosita says, it is 110 steps down from the main road, and 220 steps down to the restuarants! As the locals say, "It is good for the digestivo."
9 Thank bellanole03
Birmingham
Reviewed 15 October 2007

Stayed in room 202 - one of the special rooms.
Expensive, but worth it for the private balcony.
2 small shower and toilet rooms, double bedroom, seperate room we used as a dressing room, large interior area, own front door to the street.

The staff can't do enough for everyone, even people popping their head into reception asking for directions.
No negatives at all.

The Sunrise Bar was up from the hotel and nice for a drink with a view and da Vincenzo restaurant (also up from the hotel) is superb... really friendly.

• Liked — The views
2 Thank Pinkape
Reviewed 12 October 2007

I cannot say enough about our great stay at the Albergo Miramare. My boyfriend and I stayed in the hotel's annex, which is a short walk from the main property. Our room was quite spacious, and it featured charming reproduction furniture and a large, modern bathroom. Our favorite part of the room was the private balcony, which faced the sea.

Rosita and her staff could not have been more welcoming. During our stay in Positano, we decided to visit Amalfi next (instead of Sorrento), and Rosita helped us revise our subsequent travel plans. She was kind enough to call hotels in Amalfi to check on availability, and she even prepared a personalized map of Amalfi for us (her mom lives there), complete with the bakery for the best lemon cake.

The common areas of the hotel were beautiful, and we enjoyed having breakfast in the charming breakfast area facing the sea. We also encourage guests to take the hotel's complementary boat tour, which was extremely enjoyable and gave us an amazing view of the Amalfi Coast. The restaurants in the area are great, and we recommend Le Terrazze, which was one of my favorite meals in all of Italy.

We can't wait to return to Positano and the Albergo Miramare!

Sydney Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2007

Stayed at Miramare for 7 nights and it was wonderful. We stayed in room 215 corner room on the top floor. As everyone has said before, the views are to die for. It was heaven coming back to the hotel after a full day out, opening up the doors and gazing upon the cliffside and the beach below. I had always wanted to come to Positano and that was the view I wanted. The hotel itself is very clean, not 5 star, but just perfect. We even had a little window in the shower and could look at the hilltop while showering. Everyone is
extremely helpful and friendly and I would certainly stay at the Miramare again. Breakfast is very good. I do have to mention that there are at least 200-250 steep steps up to the hotel from the beach
area which can be challenging sometimes, but hey! the exercise is perfect especially after eating all the beautiful food that Positano has to offer. A holiday to remember.

• Liked — Amazing views
  • Disliked — steps to hotel
1 Thank estatictravellers
oklahoma
Reviewed 4 October 2007

We just got back from our first visit to Positano and hated to leave. I know we will go back and stay at Miramare again.
Rosita made you feel like you were the only people at the hotel, and the rest of the staff was just as friendly and helpful.
Great Hotel...