“Loved it! Great location and oh so romantic!”
Review of Hotel Miramare

Hotel Miramare
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Positano
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Loved it! Great location and oh so romantic!”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I searched and agonized for months trying to make up my mind as to the best place to spend our one and only night in Positano before moving into a villa we had rented with two friends for a week in Piano di Sorrento. It was the first night of our two week vacation in Italy and it was my husband's birthday so I wanted something "special". My search kept bringing me back to Hotel Miramare.

What an absolute delight! It was easy to communicate with Nicola via email. We requested "Room 210" with it's glass wall shower looking out to the sea and it's large balcony with a spectacular scenic view. My biggest fear were the 100+ steps that I read about on TA but we dealt with them and it wasn't a problem.

Although it poured rain during our entire stay and we weren't able to use our beautiful balcony, we didn't let the weather dampen our spirits. Staff provided excellent service carrying our luggage down those stairs from the car to our room and then back up again upon our departure.

The breakfast and breakfast room itself were both wonderful. The view from the restaurant is so pretty.

I had originally planned to book at Il San Piedro but decided that for the same price as a no view room there, I could have a full view room at Miramare. Funny enough, I subsequently learned that the same owner who developed Il San Piedro had developed Hotel Miramare I believe back in the forties. No wonder it's so romantic!

What a wonderful, exquisite and quaint hotel. If you are like I was and having a difficult time making a decision on where to stay in Positano, trust me; go with Miramare. I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Room 210 has a nice large scenic balcony with a glass wall shower looking out to the sea!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BahiaDelray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 28 February 2013

My husband and I had booked another hotel. At the other hotel we booked a 'garden' room, which was like a jail cell with one tiny 2'x1' foot window up by the ceiling. Note: if you are in Positano, it is a must that you have a sea view. Why else are you there? So, we switched hotels...and that is where Hotel Miramare comes in!!! Best hotel of our three week trip traveling around Italy and Germany! Our room was spectacular. Our balcony and view was awesome. The staff was wonderful. The breakfast room and food was great. The boat trip they offer was magical! All the antique decor is beautiful. I LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!!!

Only negative I see at all were the stairs to get there (about 200). It is quite a hike, but if you are physically able to do it, it is well worth it!

Room Tip: Ocean view with balcony!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Kerry P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We stayed 2 nights for a childish reason - In the book, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Highsmith has Tom stay at the 'Miramare' when he first arrives in Monti/Positano.

That said, we were so pleasantly surprised by the warmness of the manageress and the beautiful views, and the old furniture that we fell in love with it anyway. It's like being a guest in an old aunt's house the sometime in the 50's. The walls are made of rock and you wouldn't know there were other guests except when you see them at reception. Of course, it's Positano, so don't expect the new-ness possible in other locations. Everything that reaches this hotel is carried up or down 200 steps (guests included), so once a bathroom goes in - it stays in until it falls apart. But who cares, sitting on your balcony watching the summer madness on the beach and the car-park of boats while sipping a drink was wonderful. Plus, they offer a complmentary trip in summer, on a small power boat out to some secluded swim spots. Breakfast is typical southern Italy; sweetened, dilute OJ and hard boiled eggs but you don't want ot ruin your appeite for lunch.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SituationNormal
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Albergo Miramare last June. It was out third visit to Positano and the Miramare. With each stay, our experience keeps getting better and better. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is outstanding!! Rosita, the hotel concierge, is the most special person that we have ever met. She treats us as if we were long time friends. Her restaurant recommendations are excellent. She also helped us plan our days with wonderful suggestions of where to go. On our last trip we visited Ravello. Rosita told us how to get there and how beautiful the town was. We were not disappointed. It was one of our trip highlights. Our room at the hotel was wonderful. We had stunning views of the ocean and Positano from our terrace. Where this was out third visit, Rosita had a chilled bottle of prosecco brought to our room. It was just what we needed after our drive from Rome. Renauto, Antonio and Nicola also made our stay very nice. The customer service at this hotel is superb!! The breakfast and the cappuccinos were also fantastic!! I highly recommend Positano and the Albergo Miramare...you will not be disappointed if you stay there. We are starting to plan this year's vacation and hope to return to Positano and the Miramare!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SophiaLoren7
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

I frequented this hotel many yrs ago and went back with my wife over the summer. The views are great from the room as we had a nice balcony. Other than that, the room was a bit overpriced. I know it's Positano, and knowing what I know now I would have paid $100 more a night at a different hotel. Sure we had a very nice time but I think there a better options if you go up one more price range. Oh, the breakfast was fair and the coffee was horrible so don't factor that into your decision. It should be noted that the device at the hotel is top notch.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Rabs22
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Like everyone has already written, Rosita was wonderful. We really enjoyed the hotel (stayed Superior room) and her advise on dining was perfect. One of our 2 favourites was her recommended "best pizza" restaurant down along the beach path heading towards the other smaller beach. Hotel room was very clean and very comfortable. Great little balcony and view. Breathtaking to wake up to each morning. No pool (or gym) if that's what you need, but there is enough exercise to be had climbing up and down the stair whenever you head out of the hotel. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone.
Didn't eat the breakfast there nor dine, so can not comment of the food side.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TwoLeisureTravellers
USA
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed in June and had just a wonderful stay at Miramare. Rosita was a delight to behold. She welcomed my wife and I as if we were family visiting, provided a recommendation and reservation for us at a great restaurant sitting atop the mountain overlooking the water, and even arranged a full course dinner to be delivered to our room so that we could eat on the veranda. I was very greatful for the assistance in carrying our bags up and down those steps, and for the car that Rosita arranged to pick us up and take us to dinner and back. We loved the accomodations and the hospitality was off of the charts. I highly recommend a stay at Miramare and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Book room 210 for the best experience and beautiful views from a large veranda.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple