“Simply the Best !!”

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Cambridge UK
“Simply the Best !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2008

Just returned, stayed 6-10th May. The wife & I take 4-5 mini-breaks a year so I stay in a lot of good hotels - trust me my fellow travellers, the Poseidon is unbeatable! Other TA reviewers have said it all (and many thanks for doing so!) , I would just endorse their comments - the hotel is superb, the views are stunning and breakfast & lunch are top quality. I can’t comment directly on dinner but I gather it's excellent, we prefer to eat out and "do the town"(reeelly can’t understand people who just eat in their hotel!).

The staff are brilliant (mille grazie!), nothing is too much trouble and they're not at all stuffy, we had quite a few laughs - special thanks to Allesandra, Giovanni, and Livia (remember "Mr Grappa"?) - hi guys! Positano is a great destination, prettiest place I've seen, a very friendly town with excellent restaurants - try Chez Black's down at the beach front.

I don't usually go back to the same place, the World's too big, but this really could be the exception . .

Anyhoo – have a good trip folks, you won't be disappointed!

Fred Jones
Cambridge UK

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Leaving it
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2008

Ever since we stayed in the Hotel Poseidon April two years ago - we have compared every other hotel in Italy to it. The level of service, the view, the warm staff, the beautiful balcony, the central location, the pool, the lounge and bar - all were perfect. The quiet elegance and the calm stayed with us long after the week we spent there.
the restaurant was also very good, and several meals were prepared for us on cart near our table.
The only thing I might say is that the bathrooms were tiled in green which though very Italian was not really my taste.
But perhaps they have already changed this.
The one thing that may not be apparent from their pictures is that they are rather high up on the mountain, which is good becaus ein positano most of the action takes place higher up, and you can follow the road down. Therefore most of the hotels are higher up which is more convenient.
The hotel had parking so they took out car which is good since the streets are very narrow.

We had a lovely time, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled with family
Wimborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2008

The Poseidon Hotel is a wonderful hotel set in one of the most stunning settings in the world!
We stayed here at the end of a 15 day trip to Italy, previously staying in Rome and Sorrento.
Words cannot describe the view as we opened our doors onto the large terrace overlooking Positano. We were absolutely speechless!
The hotel is set on the one-way loop that travels down from the Amalfi coastal road into Positano and up the other side of the town.
The town itself is unashamedly touristy and hordes of day trippers visit from Sorrento and Amalfi, but to actually stay in Positano gives you a very privileged feeling. Once all the visitors have left on their coaches and buses, you are left alone to enjoy the town to yourself. This is not to say that it is quiet in the evenings. The central restaurants, especially the ones facing the beach, are more often than not fully booked at certain stages of the evening.
We managed to find two wonderful restaurants during our stay in Positano - one on the winding path that leads around to the right of the resort - simply follow the path at the end of the beach and the restaurant is built into the cliff on to your right.
The other is on the road that climbs out of Positano before you reach the main Amalfi drive. It is situated on the left with a number of chairs and table on the other side of the road overlooking Positano. Sorry, I can't remember their names.
We had breakfast in the Poseidon and I can say this had to be the best breakfast I have ever had. Everything was available, including Bucks Fizz, little baby buffalo mozzarella cheeses, every imaginable egg dish, huge selection of cakes, hams.
Had a fantastic stay and would love to return one day.

• Liked — Location and View
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank Anne D
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2007

This place was fantastic. The service was outstanding and the hotel itself had a n old world charm. The restaurant was excellent however liked the outdoor seating on the veranda better than the inside restaurant. The indoor rest. was a bit bright. Take advantage of the massage and turkish bath. We splurged on a suite but it was still well below some of the other spots like the Sierenuse (seemed very stuffy). We had a great last day when it rained and we spent the day in the public area drinking wine, listening to the mandolin player they brought in and talking with guests.

Can't say enough good things about the view from our room. The only negative is that the street was below and there is a school across the street.....a bit noisy on 2 mornings.

Positano was a great place and the Poseidon lived up to its billing on TA!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — can't say
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank denaliherm
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2007

My husband and I were married at the Hotel Poseidon on July 4th 2007. We had the most amazing stay! Alessandra helped plan our wedding and did the most amazing job and even added her own special touches which were truly appreciated! She is such a wonderfully warm and kind person
as is ALL the staff at the hotel. We were married on the pool terrace overlooking the ocean and gorgeous town of Positano, it was a dream. We had our wedding dinner at their restaurant and it was amazing! The food is wonderful and you can't beat the incredible views (Hotel Poseidons restaurant was our favorite place to eat in Positano). My husband and I were alone yet we felt like we were with friends and family. Even the guests there were great! We hired their mandolino and guitar player to play during our ceremony and during our dinner and they were wonderful. Being here really gives you the true flavor of Italy. The staff goes completely out of their way to make you feel comfortable and happy. I didnt want to leave.....I told my husband I want to move there!! Our rooms were lovely and the french doors opened
to our terrace overlooking Positano and the ocean. No matter where you
are in the hotel the views are breath taking. In the morning at breakfast the staff are all so pleasant and greet you with their friendly smiles and sweet accents and all have a great sense of humor.
One of the staff members Elio (who we loved and is very funny) even took time out of his day to help my husband write part of his wedding vows in Italian. Claudio was another wonderful staff member and incredibly kind and helpful. Honestly, every person there is just great! After leaving Positano (we were there for 6 days) we went to Sorrento for 4 days. You can't even compare. Sorrento is nice, but too much of a tourist trap. Rome is nice if you're familiar with city living which we are because we're from New York. I also found the people to be very rude in Rome. Positano was my favorite!! I would have no problem going there every year for the rest of my life! It's charming, beautiful, great food, great people, great artists, great weather....you'll love it!! There is no question that the Hotel Poseidon would be the only place I would choose to stay! They gave me memories that will last a life time!

• Liked — I loved everything!!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ds1187
Carrick-on-Shannon, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2007

Hotel Poseidon is one of the top hotels in Positano, and priced quite competitively against the competition. It is one of the few with a pool and has a lovely large terrace where dinner is served and also around the pool for sun bathing.

The service is impeccable and all of the staff are so nice and professional. We really recommend them.

One word of warning, do not stay on 1st floor (any other floor is fine) as it is nearest to the road and you can hear the traffic.

2 Thank Jane5194
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2007

My new husband and I spent 12 nights at the Hotel Poseidon, Positano from the mid to end of September 2007 and had an absolutely fabulous time.
The staff were excellent; very welcoming and professional, the hotel was beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean, the pool area and restaurant terrace overlooked the town of Positano as did our room (a superior on the second floor) which was also lovely and spacious and had its own great terrace.
The food at the hotel was gorgeous and we would highly recommend that you try the seafood risotto which was hard to match at any of the other restaurants in Positano.
The location of the hotel was excellent - you can walk down to town easily or alternatively there are steps about 20 meters from the hotel down to the beaches and you can walk up the hill to three more great restaurants which are open for lunch and dinner. There is also a small convenience store across the road from the hotel which was useful.
And of course in Positano you are ideally placed to catch the bus to east to Amalfi, west to Sorrento and pretty much anywhere else by boat.
We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and we hope that it's not too long before we return to Positano and to the Hotel Poseidon!

1 Thank Lyon06