“Nice little hotel”
Review of Hotel Poseidon

Hotel Poseidon
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Positano
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Poseidon for 3 nights in May 2008. We arrived in the afternoon on a Sunday. The reception we received was pleasant and polite. The bell hop took our luggage immediately up to our room while we checked in. The man checking us in was polite and gave us a couple of dinner recommendations.

We stayed in room 27. I would not recommend this room for one reason only - it is very close to the street and therefore it gets a lot of the noise from the passing traffic below. Other than that, the room was lovely. Very large room (by European standards) with a nice closet. The bathroom was fine - not too big and the shower was much smaller than American standards but still, the water was hot every morning and that's really what counts! The bed was a king size bed, which I think may have been two twins pushed together but it was not uncomfortable. There was TV in the room and we were able to get World CNN and get some English-language news.

The breakfast buffet was better than I expected. I figured it might be a few pastries and coffee. It was scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, assorted cereals, chocolate and plain croissants and other pastries, prosciutto, and assorted cheeses. Also, they made you a cappuccino on request. My husband especially liked the carrot/orange/lemon juice they served with Pellegrino. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful.

Our first morning there, Alessandra from the hotel management, stopped by our table. She chatted with us about our plans and helped us with ferry info to take a ferry to Capri. She also asked me if I'd like to take a cooking class with the chef of the restaurant the next day. I signed up at the front desk and the next afternoon I went into the hotel kitchen with 5 other guests and we made a pasta dish with the Chef. He was friendly (didn't speak English so Alessandra translated) and we had a lovely time.

The walk from the hotel into the little main street area of Positano was a short walk and lovely. I had gotten a recommendation to eat at La Tagliata in Montepertruso so I asked the front desk if they could make us reservations. They did and the restaurant sent a car for us and drove us up the mountain for dinner.

On the morning we checked out to head to Rome, Alessandra came to say goodbye and gave me a little "diploma" for having completed the Chef's class and also presented me with a Hotel Poseidon apron and also a list of great restaurants in Rome. I thought this was extra sweet and Alessandra definitely made us feel special.

Overall, a lovely experience.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 May 2008

A very charming hotel located in beautiful Positano. The rooms are OK (4 star) and the terrace and lounging areas are quaint and lovely. It is quite a climb from the downtown area, but can be done in about 15 minutes uphill. Downhill is obviously much faster. But all in all, a nice hotel.

I was sadly very disappointed in the hotel service. The front desk was rather rude and in some cases, barely acknowledge our presence even though we booked 2 rooms for 6 days. Angelo at the front desk was wonderful and kind. A true gentleman. The rest of the front staff could have cared less if we were there and on one instance I wished them a good morning and after looking up at me, they never responded.

Lunch is served from 1-3 promptly. That is rather odd since most places open for lunch around 11:30. The breakfast buffet --which is OK--is from 7:30-10:30. So there really is no reason why lunch can't be served sooner. Around 6 or 7 pm, they close the pool and pool area to begin setting up for dinner. It doesn't matter if you are swimming or just relaxing trying to enjoy the view, they tell you to leave.

The Beauty Salon is ok. I had two services there. The place was very, very hot. And when I asked for a fan, the girls gave me a magazine to fan myself. I was to say the least a bit stunned. The gym is not open early in the morning or late at night.

The food at the restaurant is below average. I could have prepared a better risotto (which tasted like rice) and spaghetti bolognese much better. The fried pizza for lunch (only) is great though.

It is these quirky little rules that have spoiled our stay here. We have stayed in larger, 5 star hotels for years and after a day, they at least acknowledge our name--at the very least a hello would suffice. So while perhaps I would recommend it, understand that you will not get the personalized service you want. You might try the Palazzo Murat--which after staying at Hotel Poseidon, I wish I had kept my reservation there.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank sufsad
Reviewed 15 May 2008

Just returned, stayed 6-10th May. The wife & I take 4-5 mini-breaks a year so I stay in a lot of good hotels - trust me my fellow travellers, the Poseidon is unbeatable! Other TA reviewers have said it all (and many thanks for doing so!) , I would just endorse their comments - the hotel is superb, the views are stunning and breakfast & lunch are top quality. I can’t comment directly on dinner but I gather it's excellent, we prefer to eat out and "do the town"(reeelly can’t understand people who just eat in their hotel!).

The staff are brilliant (mille grazie!), nothing is too much trouble and they're not at all stuffy, we had quite a few laughs - special thanks to Allesandra, Giovanni, and Livia (remember "Mr Grappa"?) - hi guys! Positano is a great destination, prettiest place I've seen, a very friendly town with excellent restaurants - try Chez Black's down at the beach front.

I don't usually go back to the same place, the World's too big, but this really could be the exception . .

Anyhoo – have a good trip folks, you won't be disappointed!

Fred Jones
Cambridge UK

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2008

Ever since we stayed in the Hotel Poseidon April two years ago - we have compared every other hotel in Italy to it. The level of service, the view, the warm staff, the beautiful balcony, the central location, the pool, the lounge and bar - all were perfect. The quiet elegance and the calm stayed with us long after the week we spent there.
the restaurant was also very good, and several meals were prepared for us on cart near our table.
The only thing I might say is that the bathrooms were tiled in green which though very Italian was not really my taste.
But perhaps they have already changed this.
The one thing that may not be apparent from their pictures is that they are rather high up on the mountain, which is good becaus ein positano most of the action takes place higher up, and you can follow the road down. Therefore most of the hotels are higher up which is more convenient.
The hotel had parking so they took out car which is good since the streets are very narrow.

We had a lovely time, highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2008

The Poseidon Hotel is a wonderful hotel set in one of the most stunning settings in the world!
We stayed here at the end of a 15 day trip to Italy, previously staying in Rome and Sorrento.
Words cannot describe the view as we opened our doors onto the large terrace overlooking Positano. We were absolutely speechless!
The hotel is set on the one-way loop that travels down from the Amalfi coastal road into Positano and up the other side of the town.
The town itself is unashamedly touristy and hordes of day trippers visit from Sorrento and Amalfi, but to actually stay in Positano gives you a very privileged feeling. Once all the visitors have left on their coaches and buses, you are left alone to enjoy the town to yourself. This is not to say that it is quiet in the evenings. The central restaurants, especially the ones facing the beach, are more often than not fully booked at certain stages of the evening.
We managed to find two wonderful restaurants during our stay in Positano - one on the winding path that leads around to the right of the resort - simply follow the path at the end of the beach and the restaurant is built into the cliff on to your right.
The other is on the road that climbs out of Positano before you reach the main Amalfi drive. It is situated on the left with a number of chairs and table on the other side of the road overlooking Positano. Sorry, I can't remember their names.
We had breakfast in the Poseidon and I can say this had to be the best breakfast I have ever had. Everything was available, including Bucks Fizz, little baby buffalo mozzarella cheeses, every imaginable egg dish, huge selection of cakes, hams.
Had a fantastic stay and would love to return one day.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne D
Reviewed 19 November 2007

This place was fantastic. The service was outstanding and the hotel itself had a n old world charm. The restaurant was excellent however liked the outdoor seating on the veranda better than the inside restaurant. The indoor rest. was a bit bright. Take advantage of the massage and turkish bath. We splurged on a suite but it was still well below some of the other spots like the Sierenuse (seemed very stuffy). We had a great last day when it rained and we spent the day in the public area drinking wine, listening to the mandolin player they brought in and talking with guests.

Can't say enough good things about the view from our room. The only negative is that the street was below and there is a school across the street.....a bit noisy on 2 mornings.

Positano was a great place and the Poseidon lived up to its billing on TA!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank denaliherm
Reviewed 5 November 2007

My husband and I were married at the Hotel Poseidon on July 4th 2007. We had the most amazing stay! Alessandra helped plan our wedding and did the most amazing job and even added her own special touches which were truly appreciated! She is such a wonderfully warm and kind person
as is ALL the staff at the hotel. We were married on the pool terrace overlooking the ocean and gorgeous town of Positano, it was a dream. We had our wedding dinner at their restaurant and it was amazing! The food is wonderful and you can't beat the incredible views (Hotel Poseidons restaurant was our favorite place to eat in Positano). My husband and I were alone yet we felt like we were with friends and family. Even the guests there were great! We hired their mandolino and guitar player to play during our ceremony and during our dinner and they were wonderful. Being here really gives you the true flavor of Italy. The staff goes completely out of their way to make you feel comfortable and happy. I didnt want to leave.....I told my husband I want to move there!! Our rooms were lovely and the french doors opened
to our terrace overlooking Positano and the ocean. No matter where you
are in the hotel the views are breath taking. In the morning at breakfast the staff are all so pleasant and greet you with their friendly smiles and sweet accents and all have a great sense of humor.
One of the staff members Elio (who we loved and is very funny) even took time out of his day to help my husband write part of his wedding vows in Italian. Claudio was another wonderful staff member and incredibly kind and helpful. Honestly, every person there is just great! After leaving Positano (we were there for 6 days) we went to Sorrento for 4 days. You can't even compare. Sorrento is nice, but too much of a tourist trap. Rome is nice if you're familiar with city living which we are because we're from New York. I also found the people to be very rude in Rome. Positano was my favorite!! I would have no problem going there every year for the rest of my life! It's charming, beautiful, great food, great people, great artists, great weather....you'll love it!! There is no question that the Hotel Poseidon would be the only place I would choose to stay! They gave me memories that will last a life time!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple