“Beautiful room, view and great experience”
Review of Hotel Villa Franca

Hotel Villa Franca
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Naples, Italy
“Beautiful room, view and great experience”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I stayed in the Villa Franca my first time to Positano in March and I was thrilled with the choice. I went with my mom and I wanted to make sure she enjoyed it, as she was visiting me from the United States.

We stepped into the room and it was elegant with a magnificent view of the cliffside town and the sea -- and we were in the annex! Don't worry if you get put in the secondary building 30 feet away from the main check-in, as these rooms don't seem to be any lower in quality.

We spent some wistful time on our balcony feeling like the most fortunate people in the world. The beds were comfortable and we felt like we were living in some sort of dream.

Normally I don't eat breakfast at the hotels because I prefer to go to a local bar, but I did at Villa Franca and really enjoyed it. The pastries were good and even the coffee was palatable (generally I find hotel coffee pretty iffy in Italy, even if I order espresso). The terrace is lovely (as is the case with many Positano hotels) but also the bar area and breakfast area has been nicely modernized so it doesn't have any of that feel that it saw better days in the 60s and 70s, when Positano was first becoming a big tourist spot.

After a half dozen subsequent visits to Positano I have decided I personally prefer the area in the upper part of town where Villa Franca is located; it's not as touristy and wandering the steps makes you feel like you're away from the crowds. And the views are way better up there. Villa Franca is a particularly nice choice because it's not as far up and away from the beach as some places like Palazzo Marzoli (which I also like) but it still gives you a great vantage point of the city and sea. I will try to stay here again, certainly.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We just returned from our stay at Villa Franca. It is a beautiful hotel with a fabulous pool that has a breathtaking view. We ate dinner there several nights and found the food to be very very good. The bartender and waiters were very friendly, personable and gave great service. Wish I could say the same for the guy who tends the pool area. Felt like he was doing me a favor to get me a drink or lunch. Was actually rude at one point. For the money we paid, I would expect him to come around and see if we needed a drink or anything. That never happened which kind of ruined the pool experience there. Other than that, the hotel is very very nice. We stayed in the annex and the room was beautiful. Also wish the front desk had mentioned that there is a town bus that takes you back up to the hotel for 1.50 euros vs. 20.00 euros for a cab.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed 22 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Villa Franca in late March. We stayed in a room facing the Mediterranean with a small terrace. Because it was still winter, the room rate was very affordable for such excellent accomodations. The view over the sea and the town of Positano was fabulous. The hotel was entirely renovated in recent years with hand painted tile murals over the bed and Vietri tiles throughout the room and bath. The room was a bit small and the terrace was tiny but both were adequate for two people. The view from the breakfast room was spectacular. Be sure to go to breakfast early so you can grab a table by the window. The view from the pool area was 360 degree and perhaps the best spot for taking pictures in Positano. We found our bedroom to be quiet and the bed comfortable.
There were a few things that marred an otherwise wonderful stay. Even though I told the hotel ahead of time of my gluten intolerance, there was little I could eat amongst the huge array of breakfast cakes and breads. For a four star hotel, some eggs, meat and cheese would have been nice. The second flaw was that some of the hotel staff were unhelpful and frosty when we asked for help. Some of the hotel staff such as Claudia, who showed us to our room, and the claeaning staff were friendly and accomodating. Given the uneven service and the many better options in Positano, we will not stay at the Villa again.

Room Tip: Go in winter when the rates are low
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Our stay at the Villa Franca couldn't have been better! The views from the pool area are enough to merit the stay at the hotel, and the staff were wonderful. We'll definitely be back to Positano, and will stay at Villa Franca.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Stayed here recently for our honeymoon and after being told they couldn't move us into a nicer room, we agreed to remain in the room we were given. The hotel has nice views, but every hotel in Positano has nice views, so don't let that trick you. In our room our Air Conditioning, TV and Hot Tub were all out of order and when we tried to complain to the manager about it, she called us liars and told us everything was working fine. When we called about these problems, they said they'd send someone up to check on them and a few mins later the BARTENDER walks in to check on our AC and Jacuzzi. I kid you not. He clearly had no idea what he was doing and told us he didn't know how to fix it.

On top of all this, on 3 different occasions we'd come back to our room and find our door totally unlocked and open for anyone to just walk in. The maid who came to clean our room constantly left our door unlocked and open.

On another occasion we ordered room service and it literally took them over an hour to make a piece of toast with ham and cheese on it.

Upon check out, they presented us with a bill for about 50 euros and when i said i didn't think we should have to pay these minial charges due to all the problems we experienced, the manager essentially told me there was nothing they could do to help us and called us liars for saying that our room wasn't funcioning properly.

I've stayed at hotels all over the world and have NEVER been treated with such disrespect. AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS. The owners are terrible people and don't know the first thing about customer service!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank honeymooner1981
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The Villa Franca is a beautiful, small hotel high above Positano with a gorgeous view of the Amalfi Coast. The service was efficient as well as being "in the know" about restaurants off the beaten path. The bar is small and friendly with a welcoming "feeling". We had two meals at small independent restaurants where the owners did the cooking and the serving.
The locations is away from the hustle and bustle of the town but in walking distance if you enjoy venturing out on your own.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Blairsville, GA
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here on a recent trip to Italy. It was the highlight of our trip! A lot of the town was closed during our stay, but the hotel was great. They upgraded our room at no charge, and it was very clean. We overlooked the ocean. Also, the breakfast was wonderful!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple