“Beautiful hotel! Wonderful Stay!”
Review of Hotel Villa Franca

Hotel Villa Franca
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Positano
Reviewed 29 May 2014

It's taken me a long while to get on here to post this so apologies that it's dated but it must be noted.

When we booked our trip here (back in late winter 2011), we were looking for a hotel with a pool, as this was the second leg of our trip to Italy - the rest and relaxation leg :). I had dreamed of going to Positano for many, many, many years and so I wanted to make sure that we had the best view imaginable, as well.

We stumbled upon Hotel Villa Franca's website in our Google search (as we were not avid Trip Advisor goers at the time) and what we saw, impressed us. So, we then went to Trip Advisor and saw such fantastic reviews that after looking at a myriad of other hotels, we decided Hotel Villa Franca was for us! I am really glad that we stayed here because it was a truly memorable experience.

Our room was beautiful, great balcony overlooking the ocean and the entire internal mountainside of Positano. At night, you could hear music echoing from down below and the lights from all of the restaurants, homes, hotels was something you'd have to see to believe. During the day the view was even more spectacular as you could see for miles and miles - again, something you'd have to see to believe because there are no words to describe how truly exceptional the views are from this hotel.

Comfy Beds, spacious clean room with an equally spacious clean bathroom. For the time we actually spent in the room - no complaints here. We also stayed at the hotels second set of accommodations from the main hotel, just a short walk down the road and found no issues with this whatsoever. We had to walk down to our room which was neat, as it was nestled in the mountain.

We were lazy bones while in Positano - which, looking back, I wish we had done a bit more HOWEVER, the atmosphere and our hotel gave us the downtime that we were looking for so I guess what we set out to do on this leg of the trip, we did!

Keep in mind, the location of this hotel is not for the faint of heart as it is FAR from the beach and main attraction area of Positano. It is on the main road though, so that does help a bit. We definitely walked down and back through the mountainside "streets" a few times - nearly killed us, but was worth all of the views! The one thing we found a little frustrating is that there was supposed to be a small shuttle that went to and from the hotel a few times a week, through the day and night, that you could hop on from town but we never seemed to find it.

If you can, stay here during Ferragosto!!! We had NO idea what this was (nor that we booked our stay during this time), but had a true Italian Introduction during our first night at Hotel Villa Franca and it was an experience that we still talk about to this day and will NEVER forget - it was truly magical!! So magical that I am not going to share why. Just trust me! :)

The pool is small but very nice. I will say, it's REALLY cold which I cannot understand because it was so HOT there, it's small and the sun is beating down on the pool all day. I didn't mind it that much, but I would have preferred something a tad warmer however it IS refreshing. On our last day, we spent the entire day at the rooftop pool and it was so relaxing, you had to pry me off of my lounger at the end of the day, I did NOT want to leave! That night, we went to down, got meats, cheeses, olives, a loaf of bread and wine, went back to our hotel - sat out on the communal veranda by ourselves (by candlelight), and just listened to everything going on below us, eating some of the most delicious food we had the entire trip.

Lastly, because this is one of the things we remember most (and another thing we talk about constantly) - the breakfast and food at Hotel Villa Franca was awesome!! The bacon was and is BY FAR, the best bacon we have ever had in our entire lives! The spread at breakfast was so incredible, we really could not get enough. Because we wanted to make sure that we got the most of our days, we were always up bright and early, sitting at an open air table, taking in the beautiful ocean views and enjoying some of the best coffee and pastries we have ever had. My husband loved that he could get bacon and pizza in the wee hours of the morning. haha

The staff was wonderful and we saw as little of them or as much of them as we wanted. While we weren't there much during our stay, the times we were - we were very pleased with the way that we were attended to.

Thank you for making our first (and hopefully not last) trip to Positano a truly memorable one!! We hope to get the chance to go back and stay with you all again soon!

Room Tip: Ask/Pay for OceanView as some rooms at the main hotel face the street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ILovesMeSomeTravel
villafranca, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Villa Franca, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.
I am glad to see that you had a great time whilst in Positano and the comforts of the hotel and staff made it a more enjoyable holiday.
We look all look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Amalfi Coast was our last stop in Italy before coming home to the USA. Our AMEX travel consultant recommended Hotel Villa Franca and it was very nice.
The room and bath were large and comfortable with a nice terrace. The shower was in a full jet bath. We didn't use it because we were so busy, but a nice touch.
The bar, breakfast and dinner staff are all excellent and very friendly. There were four different people at the front desk that seemed to rotate through, and while very nice, they were not all that helpful when we asked for suggestions of where to go, where to eat, etc.. We gave up and used our Smart Phone and, as always, Trip Advisor.
The TV in our room had a bad cable and it took 2 days to get someone to change it out. We weren't watching, but I couldn't sleep one night and wished I could use the TV to get me to sleep. This was room specific, so probably not a problem for others. Still, the person who offered to help went to the room, didn't seem to understand the problem and never returned. Odd and not up to par. He was very sweet but ineffectual. I'd say the same for some of the front desk workers. Others were much better. One woman was excellent and got it fixed while we were out.. She also helped with suggestions in the area, etc.
The Deluxe upgrade for our Anniversary was very nice, but I can't compare to any other rooms as I only saw ours. Being very high up in Positano, the views were spectacular from our terrace. The one negative to the hotel's location is that the shuttle had an odd schedule that inhibited us quite a lot. It ran from 8 am to 11 am then didn't run again until 5pm. So, if you wanted to leave later or come back earlier, it was a long walk down and /or up. Also, the shuttle took you down to the drop-off point at 8pm and didn't start picking up until 10:05 pm. We ate at about 8:15 and the restaurants don't rush you so we didn't have any problem, but better hours would be appreciated.
There is an outdoor pool, bar and snack bar on the roof along with a bar/restaurant on the lobby floor, and a spa with many services.
I don't have a comparison to any other hotels, so I can't recommend one. If I go back to the Amalfi Coast, I think I'll try a different hotel, but ours was quite nice in general.

Room Tip: I didn't see anything but the deluxe room, but ask if there's a terrace. It's a great a...

Dear Ms. Jo-Ellen,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and found our restaurant staff helpful.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent five nights here in May 2014. Our room had a small balcony that overlooked Positano, as well as an ocean view. The room we had was lovely, and actually could have accommodated three people so we had plenty of storage space. We loved the breakfast dining room - it's lovely with windows all around - and the staff is wonderful. We had dinner at the hotel the night we arrived - the food and service were very good. One morning we had an early pick up for a tour - we needed to leave before the dining room was open. Allessia arranged for us to have breakfast before we went - we were very surprised to receive full service at this early hour - it was a very pleasant surprise and very much appreciated. The pool area is rooftop and lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has an ocean view - some rooms only have 'city' views - it's worth b...
1  Thank Roberta D

Dear Ms. Roberta,
Thank you for your lovely review.
I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was our 4th trip to Villa Franca over the past five years. We have found this hotel to be pretty much second to none. It is quite small, the staff quickly get to know you by name and never fail to greet you. The location is high up above Positano so after a week or 10 days you'll be pretty fit from the walk up from town which takes about half an hour. The hotel does provide a regular and free shuttle bus if your legs aren't up for the walk, but it's truly worth it for the views and the shops and the restaurants all the way. Our room was beautiful...tastefully decorated, well furnished, comfortable, bright and cheerful and with a partial view of the bay. (There are other rooms with fuller views as well) Great rooftop swimming pool and bar, excellent restaurant and a staff who will help you with anything. By way of illustration, on our last day we had a late flight and didn't want to leave the hotel itself until well after checkout time. No problem at all; our bags were stored and when we came back in the late afternoon we were provided with a room to change in and have a shower until we were ready for the trip to the airport.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs possibly a little quieter than those upstairs but we have been in both and enjoyed...

Dear Mr. Andrew Scott,
Thank you for your fantastic review.
I was extremely pleased to see that you had a lovely stay and I have shared all your comments with all the team.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Quaint, very clean- room on the small end of the spectrum, but the view made up for it. Staff very friendly and helpful. Arrived late after a long day touring Pompeii & hiking up Vesuvius, so we opted to try the in house restaurant- had a great meal with lovely night time views. Breakfast everyday was also great- and again, the views can't be beat. Preferred the location up the cliff, rather than down in town- much quieter and relaxing- but those steps... seemed like 1000s of them!! It's all part of the charm though. Had a wonderful stay and would absolutely return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
villafranca, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Villa Franca, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We really loved the view, it was breathtaking and when we arrived a delicious bottle of Ruffino Classico made us fall in love wiith white wine.
The dining room and menu was a little stuffy (old) but not terrible. The massage was pretty bad and they really need to invest in a proper massage table with a head rest/face cradle.
The room we stayed in was lovely though, and we were happy we stayed there. I just would go elsewhere for a proper spa and for eating dinner.

Room Tip: A room with a view is worth a lot to me, that's so important. especially to see the view from th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peacemama
villafranca, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Villa Franca, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I was pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay apart from the issue with the SPA rest assured I have shared your comments with the Management Team.
We hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed here with my wife for 11 nights in April / May 2014. The initial room we booked was a superior room with sea view, the room was clean with an amazing sea view. The room however was relativity small, not uncommon with Italian hotels but our main problem with this room was clothes storage. The room had a small ‘alcove’ with a wardrobe rail and only 6 hangers, no other cupboard or draw space was available, not ideal when one has packed for a 2 week holiday.

I brought this to the attention of reception staff who offered an upgrade to a deluxe room in the annex part of the hotel. I had to pay an addition 80 Euro per night charge but the new room was amazing. It was considerably larger with lots of clothes storage space and the most fabulous view over Positano town, and coastline. It also has a large balcony with table and chairs plus a selection of lemon trees. We really liked this room and it did help make our holiday a very happy one. Only one minor note of criticism was the lobby music, our room was directly abject to the annex foyer and the music played 24 / 7 and it could be heard in our room during the night.

The public areas, main reception, lobby and restaurants had an eclectic style that really worked giving a boutique feel to the place. The pool and bar area on the roof of the main hotel were fabulous, oak sun beds with a thick four inch mattress and the most amazing mountain and sea views, probably the best of any hotel in Positano.

We had numerous lunches and evening meals at the hotel, the quality of the food was excellent, we did however stay on a B & B basis so always chose from the al a carte menu in the evening. I know those staying half board had a separate menu which I did pick a couple of dishes from. Quality was again good but as one would expect not to the same standard as the al a carte option. Please note that eating in Positano does not come cheap, as a rough rule of the thumb, as a couple we rarely had lunch for less than 50 Euro and every evening meal was north of 100 Euro.

The hotel also supplies a free shuttle that takes you into the main town, it was always on time and again the driver gave an excellent service. This also means one can eat in Positano without worrying about returning to Hotel.

I have however saved the best to last, I usually stay in 5 star accommodation but chose to book this 4 star hotel on this occasion to lengthen my holiday but stay within a budget. I’m use to great service from hotel staff; I pay top rates to ensure I get an ‘A’ rated customer experience. The people who work at this hotel simply give the best customer service of any hotel I’ve stayed at. From the receptionist, through to the restaurant waiters and waitresses, the bar manager who was particularly excellent, and the pool and pool bar manager. I can’t speak highly enough of this group of people, they are professional, hardworking and will go that extra mile to ensure the customer is happy. To be honest I would normally rate this hotel with 4 ‘Trip Advisor Stars’, the initial room was small, lack of clothes storage, the annoying lobby music at night, however the pure strength and level of customer service excellence delivered by the people who work at the Hotel Villa Franca means I have to award it top rating and five stars.

A couple of notes for those wanting to go to Pompeii or Herculaneum from Positano, there are 2 options. Option 1 is to hire a private taxi this will cost 200 Euro (circa £165) this will get you 4 hours of the driver time. It takes 2 hours for the return journey thus giving max 2 hours at the respective sites. Entry to the sites costs 11 Euro for a single ticket, 20 Euro for both sites.

We however chose option 2, there are some stairs opposite the hotel and at the top is ‘ Bar International’ buy a Sita bus ticket, this give you 90 minutes of travel. The bus stop is opposite the bar, catch the bus going to Sorrento. This takes about 30 – 40 minutes, beware those who are prone to travel sickness though, there are dozens of steep bends in and out of positano, regardless if you travel by bus or car if you’re prone to travel sickness you will have a problem. Best take some travel sickness medication with you or you will suffer.

The Sita bus terminates at the train station in Sorrento. Buy a ticket to either Pompeii of Herculaneum and get on the Naples train, it’s a really small station and easily navigated. The respective stops are Pompeii (20 mins) and the station is POMPEII SCAVI and Herculaneum (30 mins) the station is ERCOLANO SCAVI. From the station the sites are 2 -5 minutes walk and well sign posted. Total cost for return tickets for 2 people including the bus 20 EURO and stay as long as you like. Please note though that the last bus from Sorrento to Positano is 8pm.

2  Thank PhilBarker

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Barke,
Thank you for your fantastic review.
I was extremely pleased to see that you had a lovely stay and found our staff helpful.
I have shared all your comments with all the team and we hope we can welcome you back soon.