“Breath Taking Experience !!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Villa Franca

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Villa Franca
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Atlanta, Georgia
“Breath Taking Experience !!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I vacationed here in 2012. We fell in love with this city and this hotel. It was perfectly situated at the top of the city with breathtaking views from our room. The hotel room its self was very authentic to the city, and was very clean and well worth the stay. We did eat at the restaurant in the hotel while we stayed and enjoyed it. My wife enjoyed the food more so than I did. I prefer eating at local restaurants. The walk to the city center was a bit of a hassle with lots of stairs but I did need the exercise. The hotel also offers a spa which is very nice my wife enjoyed her massage while I basked in the steam room. Overall we had a great experience with this hotel friendly staff willing to help at all times, and the noise from the surrounding area was very minimal. My wife and I can not wait to come back to Hotel Villa Franca.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
villafranca, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Villa Franca, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Mr. Clayton,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts of Villa Franca.
I am happy to see your wife and you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards
Alessia Orrico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

People come to Positano for the views and atmosphere, and this hotel has plenty of both. The front desk staff were extraordinarily helpful, even when we voiced a complaint about a group of unruly, drunk Americans who were yelling and banging doors late one night. We ate dinner here one night, and the food was very good, although priced on the high side. Only two minor things: the paint in the very small bathroom was peeling near the ceiling, and we were surprised to find mold up there as well. We also had a lot of trouble getting a consistent wi-fi signal, whether in our room or in the breakfast area, and even the two public computers were problematic.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
villafranca, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Villa Franca, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
I was pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and the restaurant, found our reception staff helpful.
We hope we can welcome you back in the future.
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

It's taken me a long while to get on here to post this so apologies that it's dated but it must be noted.

When we booked our trip here (back in late winter 2011), we were looking for a hotel with a pool, as this was the second leg of our trip to Italy - the rest and relaxation leg :). I had dreamed of going to Positano for many, many, many years and so I wanted to make sure that we had the best view imaginable, as well.

We stumbled upon Hotel Villa Franca's website in our Google search (as we were not avid Trip Advisor goers at the time) and what we saw, impressed us. So, we then went to Trip Advisor and saw such fantastic reviews that after looking at a myriad of other hotels, we decided Hotel Villa Franca was for us! I am really glad that we stayed here because it was a truly memorable experience.

Our room was beautiful, great balcony overlooking the ocean and the entire internal mountainside of Positano. At night, you could hear music echoing from down below and the lights from all of the restaurants, homes, hotels was something you'd have to see to believe. During the day the view was even more spectacular as you could see for miles and miles - again, something you'd have to see to believe because there are no words to describe how truly exceptional the views are from this hotel.

Comfy Beds, spacious clean room with an equally spacious clean bathroom. For the time we actually spent in the room - no complaints here. We also stayed at the hotels second set of accommodations from the main hotel, just a short walk down the road and found no issues with this whatsoever. We had to walk down to our room which was neat, as it was nestled in the mountain.

We were lazy bones while in Positano - which, looking back, I wish we had done a bit more HOWEVER, the atmosphere and our hotel gave us the downtime that we were looking for so I guess what we set out to do on this leg of the trip, we did!

Keep in mind, the location of this hotel is not for the faint of heart as it is FAR from the beach and main attraction area of Positano. It is on the main road though, so that does help a bit. We definitely walked down and back through the mountainside "streets" a few times - nearly killed us, but was worth all of the views! The one thing we found a little frustrating is that there was supposed to be a small shuttle that went to and from the hotel a few times a week, through the day and night, that you could hop on from town but we never seemed to find it.

If you can, stay here during Ferragosto!!! We had NO idea what this was (nor that we booked our stay during this time), but had a true Italian Introduction during our first night at Hotel Villa Franca and it was an experience that we still talk about to this day and will NEVER forget - it was truly magical!! So magical that I am not going to share why. Just trust me! :)

The pool is small but very nice. I will say, it's REALLY cold which I cannot understand because it was so HOT there, it's small and the sun is beating down on the pool all day. I didn't mind it that much, but I would have preferred something a tad warmer however it IS refreshing. On our last day, we spent the entire day at the rooftop pool and it was so relaxing, you had to pry me off of my lounger at the end of the day, I did NOT want to leave! That night, we went to down, got meats, cheeses, olives, a loaf of bread and wine, went back to our hotel - sat out on the communal veranda by ourselves (by candlelight), and just listened to everything going on below us, eating some of the most delicious food we had the entire trip.

Lastly, because this is one of the things we remember most (and another thing we talk about constantly) - the breakfast and food at Hotel Villa Franca was awesome!! The bacon was and is BY FAR, the best bacon we have ever had in our entire lives! The spread at breakfast was so incredible, we really could not get enough. Because we wanted to make sure that we got the most of our days, we were always up bright and early, sitting at an open air table, taking in the beautiful ocean views and enjoying some of the best coffee and pastries we have ever had. My husband loved that he could get bacon and pizza in the wee hours of the morning. haha

The staff was wonderful and we saw as little of them or as much of them as we wanted. While we weren't there much during our stay, the times we were - we were very pleased with the way that we were attended to.

Thank you for making our first (and hopefully not last) trip to Positano a truly memorable one!! We hope to get the chance to go back and stay with you all again soon!

Room Tip: Ask/Pay for OceanView as some rooms at the main hotel face the street.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline F
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.
I am glad to see that you had a great time whilst in Positano and the comforts of the hotel and staff made it a more enjoyable holiday.
We look all look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards
Melbourne, FL, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Amalfi Coast was our last stop in Italy before coming home to the USA. Our AMEX travel consultant recommended Hotel Villa Franca and it was very nice.
The room and bath were large and comfortable with a nice terrace. The shower was in a full jet bath. We didn't use it because we were so busy, but a nice touch.
The bar, breakfast and dinner staff are all excellent and very friendly. There were four different people at the front desk that seemed to rotate through, and while very nice, they were not all that helpful when we asked for suggestions of where to go, where to eat, etc.. We gave up and used our Smart Phone and, as always, Trip Advisor.
The TV in our room had a bad cable and it took 2 days to get someone to change it out. We weren't watching, but I couldn't sleep one night and wished I could use the TV to get me to sleep. This was room specific, so probably not a problem for others. Still, the person who offered to help went to the room, didn't seem to understand the problem and never returned. Odd and not up to par. He was very sweet but ineffectual. I'd say the same for some of the front desk workers. Others were much better. One woman was excellent and got it fixed while we were out.. She also helped with suggestions in the area, etc.
The Deluxe upgrade for our Anniversary was very nice, but I can't compare to any other rooms as I only saw ours. Being very high up in Positano, the views were spectacular from our terrace. The one negative to the hotel's location is that the shuttle had an odd schedule that inhibited us quite a lot. It ran from 8 am to 11 am then didn't run again until 5pm. So, if you wanted to leave later or come back earlier, it was a long walk down and /or up. Also, the shuttle took you down to the drop-off point at 8pm and didn't start picking up until 10:05 pm. We ate at about 8:15 and the restaurants don't rush you so we didn't have any problem, but better hours would be appreciated.
There is an outdoor pool, bar and snack bar on the roof along with a bar/restaurant on the lobby floor, and a spa with many services.
I don't have a comparison to any other hotels, so I can't recommend one. If I go back to the Amalfi Coast, I think I'll try a different hotel, but ours was quite nice in general.

Room Tip: I didn't see anything but the deluxe room, but ask if there's a terrace. It's a great a...
Dear Ms. Jo-Ellen,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and found our restaurant staff helpful.
We look forward to your next visit.
North Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent five nights here in May 2014. Our room had a small balcony that overlooked Positano, as well as an ocean view. The room we had was lovely, and actually could have accommodated three people so we had plenty of storage space. We loved the breakfast dining room - it's lovely with windows all around - and the staff is wonderful. We had dinner at the hotel the night we arrived - the food and service were very good. One morning we had an early pick up for a tour - we needed to leave before the dining room was open. Allessia arranged for us to have breakfast before we went - we were very surprised to receive full service at this early hour - it was a very pleasant surprise and very much appreciated. The pool area is rooftop and lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has an ocean view - some rooms only have 'city' views - it's worth b...
1 Thank Roberta D
Dear Ms. Roberta,
Thank you for your lovely review.
I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was our 4th trip to Villa Franca over the past five years. We have found this hotel to be pretty much second to none. It is quite small, the staff quickly get to know you by name and never fail to greet you. The location is high up above Positano so after a week or 10 days you'll be pretty fit from the walk up from town which takes about half an hour. The hotel does provide a regular and free shuttle bus if your legs aren't up for the walk, but it's truly worth it for the views and the shops and the restaurants all the way. Our room was beautiful...tastefully decorated, well furnished, comfortable, bright and cheerful and with a partial view of the bay. (There are other rooms with fuller views as well) Great rooftop swimming pool and bar, excellent restaurant and a staff who will help you with anything. By way of illustration, on our last day we had a late flight and didn't want to leave the hotel itself until well after checkout time. No problem at all; our bags were stored and when we came back in the late afternoon we were provided with a room to change in and have a shower until we were ready for the trip to the airport.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs possibly a little quieter than those upstairs but we have been in both and enjoyed...
Dear Mr. Andrew Scott,
Thank you for your fantastic review.
I was extremely pleased to see that you had a lovely stay and I have shared all your comments with all the team.
Silver Spring, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Quaint, very clean- room on the small end of the spectrum, but the view made up for it. Staff very friendly and helpful. Arrived late after a long day touring Pompeii & hiking up Vesuvius, so we opted to try the in house restaurant- had a great meal with lovely night time views. Breakfast everyday was also great- and again, the views can't be beat. Preferred the location up the cliff, rather than down in town- much quieter and relaxing- but those steps... seemed like 1000s of them!! It's all part of the charm though. Had a wonderful stay and would absolutely return.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
villafranca, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Villa Franca, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your fantastic review.