“For an expensive town, this restaurant offers good value with free shuttle service from central Positano”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of C'era una Volta

C'era una Volta
Ranked #11 of 85 Restaurants in Positano
Price range: US$8 - US$33
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, View, Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The place to go if you want to eat like the locals and eat with the locals! Open all year round and with pizza takeaway service, C'era una Volta is family run and the perfect place for a traditional meal.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I left it for the server to suggest what we should have for dinner: house wine with a couple of simple and traditional dishes. Nothing like the big fancy restaurants near the beach but they were good enough and from I heard from the locals, they resemble more what locals eat, rather than tourists expect. It was the least expensive dinner we had on our holiday (unless you only order pizzas) and it was satisfying. To those who expect grand Italian dishes with a lot of fanfare, this is not the place particularly because it is way up the hill. But if you're into simple food for the non-tourists, it will be worth a try. The server did tell us service wasn't included, which we didn't find offensive as he wasn't the first one to do so and we could see he was working hard.

• Visited August 2014

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Laramie, Wyoming
“Ridiculously bad. Worst dining experience in Positano”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Ever had that shameful feeling because you gave into peer pressure? Reviews of this place on trip advisor saying that the meals here were the best people had had during their entire trip in Italy made me feel very sad for these people by the end of the night. It's not where the locals go. Sorry. It has a van service to get tourists and I didn't hear anyone speaking italian. I'd avoid this place and go to Da Gabrisa for much much better food service and view.

I was also peer pressured by the charismatic pushy male server to get shrimp antipasti and lobster pasta (didn't take much convincing because I'm a sucker for shellfish but still I had planned to order other dishes).

The food. All just okay. Lobster a little tough and the "homemade" pasta that came with it was barilla for sure. Paparadelle bolognese was good and I liked it the best.

Service: Terrible. We had made reservations and the van was supposed to get us at 8. We found out that they left without us and didn't even ring the hotel like they usually do. We finally got to our table at 8:40 and were then ignored for another 10 minutes. The pushy waiter who others name in reviews actually had the nerve to ask me how I would review the restaurant on tripadvisor. Service was very slow until it came close to paying when that server became even more friendly. Then he mentioned that service was not included in the bill. What service?? When he came to pick up the check he actually opened it right there to see how much tip we left. That kind of tacky behavior had us running for the hills. Literally we chose to walk back down over 400 steps to get to our hotel rather than take their shuttle. I'd avoid this place and go to Da Gabrisa for much much better food service and view.

Sorry for the novel of a review but this was just our worst dining experience in positano.

Visited August 2014
West Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
“Our favorite dining experience in Italy!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

It was our last night in Positano, and we wanted it to be special. Our innkeeper recommended C'era una Volta. We were a bit underwhelmed when we first walked in. It was a tiny restaurant with only about 8 tables, all filled with locals except for one small table. We were too tired and hungry to try to find another option, so we decided to give it a try. Who knew what a wonderful surprise was in store for us! We were impressed by the sheer number of fresh daily specials in addition to a rather extensive menu. As we just couldn't make up our minds, we let the owner and our waiter, Frederico, choose for us. He started us with incredible homemade pasta dishes, then served up the main courses - delicious grilled tuna for me and equally amazing grilled sea bass for my husband. After dinner we were treated to limoncello and then because it was raining, Frederico arranged for a shuttle ride back to our inn. Now that's customer service! We had a truly memorable and delightful evening chatting with Frederico and his staff. We entered as strangers and left as friends. This is an absolute must if you're staying in Positano!

• Visited May 2014
“Horrible customer service”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed right down the street from this trattoria and decided around 9:15pm that we wanted to get desert. We were also making sure this trattoria was the right place to spend our last night ( the next night) in positano for dinner. We were seated and asked what we would like for dinner and we mentioned we would only like to have a desert and a glass of wine... Immediately following this request we were asked to move tables then just stay where we were at. They then forgot to bring our waters and gave us both the wrong deserts. I understand if you don't want to waste a table on someone who just wants to have a late desert and wine but treating a customer this bad and making someone feel embarrassed and upset is uncalled for. We wanted to make reservations for the following night but decided not to.

• Visited August 2014
Gaetano C, Proprietario at C'era una Volta, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for your review was my fault let you seat at a up front table reserved for other people spending only 6 euro for two dessert at 9.15 pm on a August evening .
Just this.........
Adelaide, Australia
“Great value”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Food was great, a little too busy to give great service though. Complimentary toasted bread and tomato was nice. Couple of two shared spaghetti with mussels, vegetables, green salad and grilled fish platter and 1/2 litre of white wine. Total came to 40 euro. Grest value. Only problem was it took forever to order but once we did the food came straight away. Great value!