“You just can't top this”

Il San Pietro di Positano
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Positano
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

There is actually no need to read this review- just go. This has to be that most incredible hotel we've ever been to or could have imagined.
The views are amazing, the gardens are gorgeous and the food at the restaurant was ridiculously good.
Have an awesome time !

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank dra54
There are newer reviews for Il San Pietro di Positano

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here last week and were thoroughly impressed. We were definitely some of, if not the, youngest guests there but that didn't bother us as we were just there to relax. This is definitely a very nice but very expensive hotel, which likely explains the age demographic being in the 60+ region. Still though, it manages to feel extremely refined but also really cool at the same time. When you walk into the main lobby it is so luxurious and full of character with interesting touches everywhere you look. When you come out of the elevator that runs down literally through the rock face to the rocky beach/ tanning/ swimming area you feel like you are in a scene from an old school James Bond movie. SO cool!!!!! The beach restaurant that is only open for lunch is amazing both in food and ambience; making for a very memorable and enjoyable meal. Luigi and all the staff down at the beach level are fantastic; very friendly and warm. On the topic of staff, I am interested in reading some of the other reviews here about how people felt that they were treated rudely or abruptly etc. All I can say is that this must be a cultural difference. I am Canadian and my husband is English and we both have thorough understanding of the fact that approaches to service vary greatly around the world. While the service here is different than that which you might get in North America, it by no means makes it bad. This is typical, reserved, yet civilised European service. They are focussed on getting the job done and being as unobtrusive as possible, not on being your best friend. Some may take this approach as being snobby or unfriendly but I really feel that they should try to just accept that service is different all around the world and that no harm is meant by it. The staff here make it very clear that they are there to serve and to help you; let them get on with it.
Watching the sunset over Positano while enjoying an aparatif outside in the expansive seating area is a magical experience and one of the most memorable during our stay on the Amalfi Coast.
The Michelin Star restaurant is very impressive. Instead of getting caught up in the, at times,
pretentious ways that we found can come with other such restaurants in the region, it focusses on serving good honest gourmet food. The "amuse bouche" equivalent is a slice of (the best!!!) pizza... How refreshing for a place of that calibre to not take things so seriously and to introduce such a cute (and delicious) element into the meal! Never have we had such a good meal, served by waiters in tuxes manage to feel so laid back and relaxed at the same time.
If you're looking for a hotel that allows you to have easy walking into Positano then this isn't for you (although you can easily water taxi into town which makes for a fun experience and takes under 5 minutes) - if you want to be transported away and into an oasis of cool
serene luxury (with the price tag to match) then this is definitely the spot for you!

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank CTMAC2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was our honeymoon. I know this because I arranged it. I also know this because I spent months beforehand arranging it. The hotel knew this because when I checked in there was a note by our name in the check in register indicating "honeymoon couple". How devastating that the only thing my wife trusted me with was to book the honeymoon. How disappointing that it was staffed by miserable, repressed, arrogant, inconsiderate, thoughtless staff. How embarrassing that we changed rooms after one day because we were put in a room next to a boiler on steroids. How frustrated was I that we elicited not one congratulatory greeting after 3 days so I asked one of the staff to congratulate my wife. And why the arrogance? Because they have been blessed with the opportunity to work at a property of immense natural beauty? And because they have access to a rock which they euphemistically describe as a beach? In the interests of balance I must say the service and food on the rock was very good. And because no doubt whatever I say they have no desire to attract new repeat customers as they will have a procession of like-minded pompous Europeans happy to experience service that can only be described as prehistoric. I have waited a year to write this review to see if my memories grew fonder. But as my wife and I enjoy our anniversary in California where a) people are polite and friendly b) the natural beauty doesn't instil an air of arrogance c) there is value for money I know I am still scarred. How sad to say we plan never to return to our honeymoon location. Did I mention it was our honeymoon. I would hope that market forces prevail and eventually this place closes down but sadly a review of the reviews suggest I am in a minority. You only get one shot at a honeymoon (or maybe two).

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
31  Thank Grumpyandjaded
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Il San Pietro hotel was amazing! Beautiful, well appointed rooms.One of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in! Excellent service, and a very nice breakfast. Dinner was good, but we actually had better meals at less expensive restuarants in Positano.We did dine our last night at La Sirinuse, and it was much better than our just as expensive meal at Il San Pietro. We will definitely return to this hotel someday. The beach is breathtaking, and our lunches at Carlos were excellent. We truly loved the pool also. No better place to stay when touring the Amalfi Coast!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Just completed a three night stay at il San Pietro di positano. What a wonderful experience. The hotel is perched on a cliff overlooking all of positano. The views from the hotel are breathtaking. Breakfast was delightful. The entire staff of the hotel was helpful. Our room was very large with a balcony and a spectacular view. Since the hotel is on the outskirts of positano, there is a shuttle provided to take guests to the center of town. Staying here was an incredible experience.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We heard such amazing things about this hotel that we decided to book 4 nights as part of our honeymoon (after agonizing whether or not to pick this hotel or Le Sirenuse). I will say that we are still happy with our decision to stay here over Le Sirenuse because of the amazing rock beach, the beautiful views, guaranteed view and private balcony, and spacious room. That being said, I had heard that the staff were 'stuffy' and I didn't think it mattered, but unfortunately it did. When you're paying $1K USD a night for a hotel, you expect perfection. We had just come from JK Place in Capri and we paid the same amount of money and we were blown away by the unbelievable service. Had we stayed at San Pietro first, we might have liked it more, but coming from such a special experience at JK Place (again for the same money a night) - the bar had been set very high.

No one cracked a smile - it felt like a bunch of robots working there. I also felt like they expected tips - completely different than JK Place. We are big tippers regularly and still tipped moderately in Italy but at JK but they didn't make you feel like you had to and if you didn't - you still got the same service. I definitely didnt feel that way at San Pietro. I felt like they waited for a tip. One night we had drinks before dinner and we didn't tip on the first drink and he never came back to see if we wanted another one. Some nights we tipped the drivers but if we didn't on our way to town - we had trouble getting them to come back for us - even waiting 20 minutes and calling multiple times. If we tipped the guy on our way there - we had no problem getting them to come back. But there were so many of them that you never got to know anyone at the hotel or established any relationship. On the fourth night, we kept having to give our name and room number to the driver, they still didn't know who we were when we called and asked repeatedly upon calling.

The best was when I was charged 2.50 euro to mail my postcard to my Grandma, and not only did they charge me, they wouldn't even add it to my bill - they needed cash. Maybe this is an American mentality, but I've never had to pay for a postcard to be sent at a 5 star hotel. Did they really need my 2.50 euro cash after I just checked out with a $4500 USD bill? Also of the 4 hotels we stayed at, this was hands down the worst breakfast and worst coffee!!

We had a nice time, but I wouldn't go back. If you can afford $1K a night - go to JK Place on Capri where it's worth it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Mcola823
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

This is what I expect heaven to look like. I stayed at the hotel for a long weekend with my wife. This has to be one of the best hotels in the world. Everything about the hotel is perfection. The rooms are charming. The sea views are spectacular. The food is amazing. The service is outstanding. The hotel is a class act. If you are fortunate enough to go to Positano, stay at this hotel. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Positano
Le Sirenuse Hotel
#1 of 29 in Amalfi
Covo Dei Saraceni
Covo Dei Saraceni
#15 of 38 in Positano

Been to Il San Pietro di Positano? Share your experiences!