“Hope to go back soon!”

Residence La Dolce Vita
Stockton-on-Tees, England, United Kingdom
“Hope to go back soon!”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here as part of our honeymoon, and we loved it. It is a bit off the beaten track, but as a result is quieter and less "touristy". The rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean, ours had a balcony with a fantastic view.The owners were very friendly and helpful, and gave us some good recommendations for local restaurants, their advice on "coffee etiquette" was priceless.
We are already planning our next stay.

1 Thank StevenjohnB

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Denver
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We booked a 7 night stay last July 2012 for a May 11th thru 18th, 2013 vacation at the La Dolce Vita. As a result of a family situation, we canceled the booking on April 20th, 21 days prior to our checking date. I sent the manager, Maryse, an email stating that we needed to cancel our reservation. The email went through with no problem (no kickback). I had sent her an email on (July 22nd) after we initially booked with a few questions and she responded immediately, so I knew the email address was good and that we had a solid link. Since the email went through with no problems, I assumed the booking was cancelled. On May 13, 2013 my credit card was charged $1,003.21 for the full booking. I was shocked and immediately sent her an email asking for an explanation as to what had happened. I did not get a response, so I resent the email on May 18th. Still no response. On May 20th I called the hotel and left a message asking them to PLEASE contact me. No response. In my 4th attempt to contact her via email, I said that if I didn't hear from her I would have no choice but to go on Hotels.com and write up a negative review for not honoring our cancellation. She immediately wrote back and said she needed a copy of the email I sent her canceling the booking. I sent her an official copy of the email in the form of a forward of the April 20th cancellation email from my sent file. Her next email again asked for a copy of the email and I kept sending it to her (at least 3 times). Her final response was that she was not going to return the booking fee nor was she willing to give us any kind of a credit towards a future booking. I contacted my email provider Centurylink.net and they have given me verification that the email was in fact sent on April 20th and definitely went through. I did everything right in terms of canceling the booking and we were cheated out of $1,003.21! Don't make the same mistake.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jlachance
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at La Dolce Vita as part of a larger Italian vacation. Positano was the first of 4 cities that we stayed in. While there are a lot of steps to get to La Dolce Vita, thats just part of Positano. Plus, when we parked, the parking employee called down and one of the owners came up to help us carry our bags down the steps. The room was spacious and clean. It also had a walk-out balcony that overlooked the water, an amazing view. The steps down to the beach aren't bad. Again, Positano is situated on the sides of hills, its all up and down. The owners were very accommodating, helpful and nice. They offered recommendations of where to eat, drink and visit. Every morning, they had breakfast along with your choice of coffee. The Wi-Fi was in and out, but it was enough to check email and stuff like that. I would highly recommend La Dolce Vita to anyone and would return if we went back to Positano.

1 Thank Nicholas P
Horwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We arrived in Positano after travelling from Ravello on two buses via Amalfi but then had to get a taxi to find the hotel. However, as it turned out you can't get 'near' to the hotel by car as there are 198 steps to go down from the road to the beach where the hotel is located.

But don't let this put you off, the hotelier Marysa arranged for a porter to meet us at the top of the steps to assist with our luggage. On arrival at the hotel we were pleasantly greeted & shown to our fantastic room with a balcony overlooking the beach with a stunning sea view. The room was large, spotlessly clean with a superb new bathroom & plenty of wardrobe/storage space. It also has air-con and a large tv & they also provide beach towels which is a nice touch.

The breakfast is basic but adequate & all your needs are taken care of, it can also be taken outside on the veranda if you are up early enough as there is only one outside table but the inside tables are bright & cheerful. The one thing I would recommend at breakfast is some background music to help create a more relaxing ambience.

All in all the hotel La Dolce Vita is in an enviable peaceful location overlooking the beach & a delightful 10 minute walk along a coastal path gets you into the resort centre with all the restaurants, bars & shops Positano has to offer.

My wife is a travel agent & will definitely recommend this hotel to any clients who may be visiting Positano in the future.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trotter73
Dublin
Reviewed 4 June 2013

If you've decided to holiday in Positano and you accept that you need to climb a lot of steps to move around the town, then today is your lucky day! You have just clicked onto the most beautiful little hotel in Positano. After reading all of the positive reviews about this hotel before we booked it I was thinking "This is too good to be true" But it really is a little gem. Residence La Dolce Vita is situated on the second beach in Positano. My wife and I stayed here in May 2013 and we had a lovely time. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the centre of the town but there is a spectacular coastal walkway which isn't too arduous. There are a number of small cafes located on the beach which are perfect for lunch and snacks. The owners are a lovely hardworking couple who take time to get to know their guests, watch out for Maryse's cheeky laugh. This is a new hotel so everything is spotless and the breakfast is the usual continental style breakfast. The room was spacious and the view from the balcony breathtaking. We will definitely stay here again if we do decide to visit Positano some time in the future.

1 Thank Tony K
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon for 4 nights. Yes, it is a bit tricky to get your luggage to the hotel, you need to travel over many many steps. But, that's Positano! Every hotel requires travelling over multiple steps :)

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised when we were upgraded to a superior room for our honeymoon.

The view from La Dolce Vita is incredible! It is situated in the small beach, a 10 min walk from the main town (Grande Spiaggia). The walk does require going up stairs, but it really is scenic, so don't let the thought of walking a few extra stairs put you off booking this hotel. The location if the small beach is picturesque, quiet and a perfect retreat for a relaxing holiday.

The rooms that we stayed in were clean and spacious. The sound of the waves gently crashing in the distance was what I needed for a perfect sleep! The breakfast served was a typical Italian hotel style: fruit, toast, jams etc, croissants, yoghurt, cheese etc along with coffees, tea and juices.

Marysa and Vincenzo are the couple who own and run The hotel. They are a lovely couple full of knowledge about the area and often helped us plan our day trips.

I would stay here again if I returned to Positano. I believe the hotel would be easier to get to than other hotels situated higher up the cliff (as it is situated quite close to the beach).

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Annapar1982
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were very excited to stay at La Dolce Vita after reading wonderful reviews. We were celebrating our honeymoon and I had emailed with Maryse about this. She was absolutely wonderful over email and seemed excited to make an extra special stay for us for our honeymoon. However, about 2 weeks before we left for italy, I emailed her 2 times with no response. I wasn't too concerned about this.

The real trouble came when my husband and I took the ferry into Positano and tried to find the hotel. We were not given any instruction as to how difficult is was to get to the hotel, or that we could call to have someone help us with our luggage. We ended up carrying our luggage through the path from the ferry dock, then over the beach, followed by carrying it up about 100 stairs up to the hotel. And once we finally arrived, there was NO ONE to greet us. We rang the doorbell with no response. There was an open door where the owners lived and we went inside but found no one. There were some construction workers who then started to help us find the owners- and the workers only spoke Italian. After about 20 minutes, Vicenzo came to the door, looking like he just got out of the shower.

I told him that I had been emailing with Maryse about our stay, but he told us she was in Paris. He had no information about how long we were staying or that it was our honeymoon. He was a very friendly man, and was very sweet, but it just wasn't the reception I was expecting.

The room was beautiful, and we did get to listen to the sounds of the waves on the beach at night. But our TV didn't work (not too disappointed) and we had trouble accessing the WiFi.

The location was a little deceiving for us from the pictures on the website. I thought it was much closer to the central part of Positano. But it took a good 15 minute walk to get to the center of Positano, and with a lot of climbing up steps.

We were supposed to stay 4 nights, and we ended up leaving after 2 nights. It was a nice room with a beautiful view, but with a poor welcome reception and a tough location. If I were to do go to positano again I would sacrifice the sound of the waves for a more centrally located hotel, given how difficult a place it is to get around.

• Stayed April 2013