“Amazing hotel!”

Residence La Dolce Vita
Sydney
“Amazing hotel!”
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We have been traveling along the Amalfi for weeks and this is by far one of the best hotels!

Maryse was lovely and accommodating to every need. It was hard to find her at times but she is there every morning so just ask your questions then!

I loved my stay there, great wifi, great atmosphere, close to the beach and beach restaurants/bars.

I can't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Matthew S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Perfect location right on the beach, overlooking the water. Just a min walk to the beach. The most beautiful staff that would do anything to make you happy. Beautiful, large room with modern bathroom and fittings. Great restaurants just 2 mins walk. You do need to walk down quite a lot of stairs to get to the hotel, however, its Amalfi, and good things come to those who walk! It will be well worth it if you stay at this hotel. The lady that runs this hotel is just beautiful, eager to please, and very helpful. If you're coming to Positano, I would not stay anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank TravellingAussie01
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This was my first visit to positano and I picked dolce vita as it was so close to the sea,and stayed 5nights in early august.I have travelled widely in Europe and am baffled by criticisms of Dolce Vita.It is not an hotel,if people want that then find one don't criticise a B and B for being that.I speak as I find,Maryese was an excellent host,on my arrival tired and very warm cold drinks were provide immediately>the room was more than adequate with a terrace overlooking the beach,waking and sleeping to lapping waves !The bathroom was excellent good power shower,ive had worse in 4star hotels.Maryese and her husband were most helpful throughout,providing local info and advice and ,cold drinks when needed.Breakfast is obviously continental,but had a good selection of yoghourts,fresh fruit especially melon,cereal and bread jams and croissants.Positano is full of steps so be ready,but the beack walk to the town from dolce vita is fairly flat and a leisurely 10/15mins,at night returning it is a beautiful relaxing walk.All in all A Fab place to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the sea area must.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank malcolm g
Kitchener, Ontario
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My family of 3 stayed here for a few nights in late July. I decided on this place based on most of the TripAdvisor reviews. However, I suppose Maryse was friendlier to other reviewers than she was to my family. Her standoffish attitude was somewhat off-putting, but it didn't wreck our experience in Positano or anything.
I didn't notice any ants in our room, as one reviewer posted, and we actually felt the room to be quite clean. The place isn't 5star so the beds and amenities were as we expected. Comfy and adequate... no problem since we only slept there and were busy all days long. Breakfast was just okay but asking for a coffee was almost frightening because it seemed to be an inconvenience to Maryse. Perhaps she's been doing this for too long and has lost her sense of hospitality?
It's quite a hike to the place from the road (that's Positano) but quite close to the beach, which was good. A couple of places to eat and drink on the beach, so that too was good. The walk into town wasn't too bad, so no complaints there.
Overall, this place is just okay, but it's location on the beach is it's asset. However, I'd recommend that people spend a couple more $$s and stay closer to the town. Maryse's somewhat unwelcoming nature reduces the "quaintness" that perhaps this place could have.

Room Tip: We didn't have a balcony... request a room with a balcony to increase the enjoyment of your stay...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank KWTraveller
East Marion, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2013

One of the reasons I decided to stay at this B & B was the close proximity to the beach and the number of steps we’d have to climb up and down; as Positano is known for its difficulty in getting around. I made the reservation for 2 Rooms - 9 months in advance and submitted the 50% Deposit based on the entire stay as requested; (this was the only deposit request on our 9 City Italy vacation). I also reconfirmed, with the date and time of our arrival, 45 days in advance; I did get another confirmation from the owner, Maryse. When we arrived, our reserved rooms were occupied by other guests; without regard for our reservation and deposit. Maryse, showed us 1 Room instead of 2 Rooms; telling us that the other rooms were occupied, so we will have to share this crowed room. Of course, I insisted she honor our reservation and deposit for 2 Rooms. Maryse, then told us that she had another property higher up on the hill, we didn’t have a choice so we said OK. It was 200 additional steps up the hill. Since this higher location was inconvenient, we had to take unexpected taxis back to our room each night at 25 Euros per taxi ride. I told Maryse that she should discount the rooms for the inconvenience she caused. When we paid our final bill, Maryse deducted 40 Euros off the total amount owed and admitted that she did not act appropriately when we arrived, but never apologized. The rooms we did get had beautiful views but 1 Room had ants; in the bed too. Preventative ant maintenance is not taken into consideration at this B & B. Both rooms did not have enough water pressure to take a proper shower. In addition, there was no Wi-Fi or Internet Access in these rooms. Vincenzo, Maryse’s husband, is very nice and very helpful; but I could not recommend this B & B; it is not professionally managed and Maryse is not trustworthy. I would not want anyone else to be subjected to this lack of concern for them, as a person, or have their well-planned vacation disregarded. This is a flippant way of running a business!!!

Room Tip: I do not recommend staying at La Dolce Vita
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank travelwwusa
Los Angeles
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The location really can't be beat. Yes there are stairs, but the entire town of Positano is basically built into the side of a cliff - so there are pretty much stairs everywhere. We arrived by ferry from Capri and left by ferry to Sorrento. The path along the beach is about a 15 min walk from the ferry dock. It's directly above Fornillo beach (the smaller beach in Positano) which has plenty of beach clubs/restaurants as well as a 'public' (aka free) area.

The room and bathroom are great. We had a large balcony as well. We fell asleep to the faint sound of crashing waves every night. The beach restaurants close around sunset-ish so it was really quiet after 8-9pm. We enjoyed the 10-15min walk into town in the evenings for dinner. If you take the beach path you don't have *too* many stairs.

Breakfast is basic, but sufficient. My only real complaint was that wifi in our room was spotty (it worked pretty well in the breakfast room though, which was open at all times so that was a plus).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny I
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My wife & i stayed here for 3 nights & everything about the stay was perfect. The room were immaculate & extremely clean plus million dollar views of the beachside & ocean as well as surroundings. The only negative were the stairs but its a small price to pay for such great value. Once u see the room the stairs are forgotten about. One nicest stays we have had while holidaying. Thank you to the staff of La Dolce Vita as u made our stay an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same i believe so it doesnt matter which room u ask for. U will still get a gr...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple