“unbeatable location”
Review of Hotel Pupetto

Hotel Pupetto
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Positano
Reviewed 6 August 2013

If you are planning to spend time on the beach and go to the city once a day, it's an amazing location. It's not for drivers, as one of the guests said, but if you get dropped off at the rock where the stairs start, the hotel sends a porter to deliver your luggage to the room, and you are set. We stayed for 6 days in July'13, and since we went to Positano for the beach, it was perfect: you can use your room to shower/change throughout the day,eat at their beach bar or at the restaurant (the views are unparallel), but every evening we ould walk to the main beach area ( a 10 minute walk on a picturesque path [no steps]_and venture into the city form there. For those who want to enter the city form up above, via Vialle del Positea, indeed, they need to walk the steps and use Hotel Victori's elevator which doesn't save much tiem or energy.

Staff at the hotel is good, especially Veronica: she made us feel as a part of family.

Re. views: when you swim, you have the great views of Positano proper and the mountains.

The bottomline: it's a hotel to use the beach to the fullest.

We're planning to be back.

Room Tip: all rooms have sea view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elena_N478
There are newer reviews for Hotel Pupetto

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We were not staying in the hotel, but since we were in Positano, were recommended to have lunch at the Ristorante Pupetto, part of the hotel. We sat on the terrace and had amazing views of the beach and enjoyed the site seeing! Our waiter was efficient and the food was ok – but only just ok, and nothing more. What you are paying for is the location and views, though be aware that you have steps and a long coast-line path to get to the hotel/restaurant and this may be a problem for anyone with a disability. We also found that the hotel has a beach bar and I believe that we may have eaten as well there – and for less than the 50 Euros for two cost on the terrace - one course each, a salad and one beer and a bottle of mineral water.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Skippy50
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Do not go to Hotel Pupetto if your are not in great shape : if you drive to Positano, you must park your car in a garage, then walk down 450 steps to reach the hotel whose selling point is that it is on the sea. What they don’t tell you is that ALL the hotels in Positano have views of the sea. Pupetto just happens to be at the lowest point – and thus, is the most arduous to reach. If you do not fancy walking back up the 450 steps, you can take a somewhat less arduous – uphill path which brings you out unto the other side of Positano. From there, you need to continue walking up steep inclines to reach the bus stop where you wait – and wait and wait for the bus to bring you to the garage on the other side.

The hotel décor is somewhat outdated but the people at the desk are friendly and helpful. The large patio overlooking the sea is lovely. Being able to step off the patio onto the beach is also a plus if that is what you are looking for.

Here is the catch : do not under any circumstances, entrust your fragile baggage to the porters. When it was time to leave – I hesitated to give my knapsack with my computer to the porter but given how steep the path back up was, and seeing that he had a heavy duty luggage cart, I entrusted my computer to him, saying “this is my computer, would you please be extra careful?!”

When the porter met up with us – my knapsack was open.

When we reached our next hotel and I turned on the computer – impossible to see my desktop – the screen was broken.

I phoned Pupetto Hotel immediately: they said to contact their lawyer. Despite photographs of the computer which I sent immediately upon discovering that my screen was broken, despite the estimate of repairs I sent upon returning home, I have not heard back from them.

I specifically told the porter that the knapsack contained my computer. Accidents do happen but wouldn’t you expect the porter to be extra careful when entrusted with fragile items? Such gross negligence is shocking. The fact that they have not gotten back to me, equally so.

Replacing a MAC screen costs $780. You do the math. That was one very very costly stay at the Pupetto hotel.

Do not make the mistake I did of entrusting your computer to the porter to bring up the hill for you – no matter how heavy it may be and how steep the walk back up to town is.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank NadineZaya
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I travelled with my wife and 5 year old son. We all loved the hotel.

To begin with it is a 3 start hotel. But with limited amenities it have us all the comfort we need. First the hotel was very clean, very firendly staff, good food if you choose to eat there and certainly one of the best location to swim compared to other parts of Amalfi we visited. If you are going to stay in Positano, very conveniently situated. Once you checked in to the hotel, you can reach to center by a 400 mt walking without having lots of stairs climb up & down. The path although has some slope is not disturbing, on the contrary enjoyable with a beautiful panaroma. You may also discover a very nice restaurant in the middle of the path.

If you stay in the hotel, the beach is just in front of you, no climbing up/down. The food is good, pizzas are baked with wood fire.

I stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels in Europe, but in all of them one finds something to bother. In this hotel although there was no luxury, we had a very happy 7 night stay. I recommend the hotel passionately if you have a small child even to people who is seeking a quiet romantic holiday.

Room Tip: On our floor, all the rooms seem to have the same facilities and view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hakan E
Reviewed 10 July 2013

A great place, although initially there are a great number of stairs to climb down. Once there though you can walk 2 minutes along the path to the centre of Positano where you'll find many shops and restaurants. The hotel is very clean, spacious rooms, breakfast is included. The staff were very helpful and spoke excellent english which was a bonus for me. There is a private beach for the three hotels, they provide towels. Flip flops are a must for the beach!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Catherine M
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Staying the hotel now. The staff is very friendly and you are greeted in a very personal. The know your name. Excellent beach and beach bar without being fancy. Rooms are nice and clean with a stunning sea view

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TghTgh
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I think the hotel has probably the best location in Positano, 3 min from the room to the ocean. the service was awesome and the restaurant serve really good meals with fresh ingredients. My daugther and i got a scooter accident and she had difficulties walking and the peoples at this hotel help help us a lot. If i would have a choice of where to stay to recover from an accident, i wouldn't be able to choose a better place. We've got i think the best room of the hotel and despite our accident we enjoy a lot our stay. Some staff speak french as well as english. The sound of the ocean lulls us at night.
We've got some difficulties locating the hotel on our arrival as Positano is a speical city and GPS are not very useful for all walking trails among the city. The easier is to get to the main beach and follow the trail bordering the sea, The Pupetto is at the end of the trail.

Room Tip: The sea front room at the farther left on the top floor over the restaurant has a large balcony with...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family