“Great staff; needs to be cleaner”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Pupetto

Hotel Pupetto
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Hanson, Massachusetts
“Great staff; needs to be cleaner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel last week. I hate to write a negative review, so I'll start with the positives. The view is incredible and the staff is extremely nice. The receptionists and the waitstaff were all excellent. If you're looking for a place to get some sun, this is the hotel to choose. We upgraded to the larger patio and you won't be disappointed by the size. The beach is a bit rocky, so the elevated patios are awesome.

That said, this hotel has a serious ant problem. When we got into our room, we noticed a number of tiny ants all throughout the room. We more or less let it go and just kept our suitcases on a table because it was bearable. After the second night, we found about 20+ ants in our bathroom and we had to switch rooms. The receptionist was extremely accommodating and moved us to a new room. The ant issue was improved, but not 100% fixed. You constantly feel unsettled after that kind of experience. In the hallway, we noticed ants marching up towards the ceiling into some type of attic, so it didn't seem like an isolated incident.

We enjoyed the restaurant on the first night; I had the gnocchi, which was very cheesy and filling. We ordered a steak as well, but I wasn't a big fan of it. It was undercooked. The house wine was some of the best we had in Italy.

All in all, it's a nice hotel, but I could never recommend staying here until the ant issue was figured out. I would have given 1 star, but the staff was great. If not for the bugs, it would be close to a 5 star experience.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the patio and it was very nice; plenty of area to lounge in the sun.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ddonahue99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

My experience at Pupetto was really great. From the evening we arrived when a man at the parking lot called the hotel to get someone to help us with the luggage to the very last day when a lovely receptionist was helping us print our boarding cards for the flight back home. We were happy with our room with a partial seaview that was cleaned daily. The reception ladies were always on hand and smiling, helping to organise birthday dinner and advising on things to see and do. The breakfast is rather repetetive but not bad.
The best thing about Pupetto though is the location - right on the beach. And also this is the second beach in Positano which is less crowded. I don't think there's any other hotel in Positano that has this advantage so unless you book somewhere with a pool (and there aren't many of those either...) you're facing a daily trek down to the beach (not to mention the uphill return).
The walk to the town takes about 10 minutes and we actually really enjoyed it at all sorts of times during day and night. Even coming back from Music on the Rocks at the early morning hours we felt safe and admired the views.
I would love to come back to Positano and when I do I wouldn't hesitate to book Pupetto again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

The Hotel Pupetto is a great hotel in front of the beach, and just 10 minutes away from the center.

The restaurant is very good with an excellent attention. In fact, is a good alternative to the pricier restaurants in Positano.

There are only two things I would improve: The rooms could be cleaner and the WiFi better (No signal in the room and not very stable).

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yo-no-fui
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I am not sure where all the positive reviews for this place are coming from. The hotel is old very old and looks like it has never been updated. The pictures on their website look nothing like the actual rooms. The first night we arrived in a garden room sitting on our bed I noticed two ants come out from underneath the pillow. We moved our pillows to notice more ants on the bed. My husband moved the bed from the wall and there was an ant infestation. I immediately asked to be moved to another room in which they told me the only room available was a seaview room. They did not want to give me that room as we were paying for a garden room. We said we would take any room as long as it was not this one with the ants in the bed. After much debate they put us in the seaview room for the night. The next day the manager said that not only did they look and see no ants in which I told her I would show her ( she tried to say we lied) which we never would make up ants all over the top of the bed, she also said since we moved we had to pay for the more expensive room. What kind of hotel that has bugs in the bed then proceeds to charge you for the more expensive room when that was all that was available. TERRIBLE Customer Service. She would not let us leave without paying the extra 60 euros... Also would like to mention the new room we were put in had dead flies all over bathroom counter. I was waiting to see if the cleaning staff would clean the following two days and guess what flies were still there. This place is Filthy.. dirtiest hotel I have stayed in europe and I have traveled all over. Breakfast is terrible too.. just packaged cookies and crackers.. no fresh items. I would not recommend find a different hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ErikaF1485
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely view! The walk down not easy but again the view make up for the pain and sweat! 10 minute walk from town. Rooms small but comfy. Had a bad food experience in restaurant on day 1 and avoided it for rest of stay. Breakfast also tasteless. Not a bad choice overall but expected a bit more!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank hannelie011
Stratford on Avon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed for two nights with three children and had a brilliant time. The decor is simple but chic and the room we stayed in was clean and very comfortable for all five of us to stay in. Beautiful balcony with jaw dropping views, the staff were approachable and attentive. We enjoyed reasonably priced food in the restaurant and our 10 year old proclaimed that the pizza (cooked in wood fired pizza oven) to be the best he has ever tasted and he has tasted a lot!! Brilliant beach side service, beach towels included and brilliant breakfast in the morning. Free wifi and porter service to transport baggage. We loved it, thank you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 123MumofThree
Lesmo, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel in itself is " simple" .....But the view is AMAZING !!!! You're right on the beach!!!!!
Breakfast, lunch or dinner on their veranda facing the sea is wonderful!!!!!
The staff is amazingly courteous .....we were served a full breakfast wayyyyyy out of their breakfast hours!!!!! We even had dinner there the first evening and it was pretty good!!!!
Very clean and reasonably priced.......all considering .... I will go again !!!!
The romantic walk from the hotel to the town is worth it!!!! Only if you're in good company!!!!!! :)

Room Tip: Get a room facing the sea.....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple