“Amazing view”

Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing view”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stayed here with my husband and daughter in October 2011. The location is amazing I think the best in Positano..one of the only hotels with there own pool and sun lounge area looking over the ocean. The staff were helpful and the rooms were large and clean. The room was decorated in classic Italian style and furniture they could do with an update but still extremely pleasant and the view from our verandah was breathtaking. Breakfast had plenty of choice and great coffee and best eaten on the verandah with the lemon trees, extremely pretty! We organised through the hotel a transfer from the railway to the hotel and return this cost around $ 100.00 each way and good value for money and Mosimo the driver was extremely friendly and informative. I would highly recommend staying at the Hotel Marincanto.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My husband recently stayed here for 4 nights. It was a great hotel, excellent service, beautiful location, and great food. I don't normally recommend the food at hotels I stay at, but this hotel had great food. It had a large variety for breakfast buffet. We ordered room service one day for lunch and it was excellent, I highly recommend the octopus and potato salad. We also had dinner in their restaurant one night and it was also very good. When sitting out in the sun or by the pool we had the best service from Giovani, making us drinks, bringing us towels and overall making us free welcome and pampered. The hotel room was excellent, large with a balconey, very clean, and great view. The only complaint here was that we were next to the elevator, so we heard that going at night, but that is my only complaint about our entire stay. This is a great place to come and relax and enjoy the Amalfi Coast.

1 Thank Hilary_Bryant
Manchester
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to the Amalfi Coast where we stayed at the Marincanto for 5 nights from the 1st of June.

The hotel is beautiful with an unrivalled location offering amazing views over Positano. We looked at various hotels before deciding on the Marincanto including Le Sireneuse, Palazzo Murat, Covo de Sereceni and Buca de Bacco. What really persuaded us about the Marincanto was it's inifinty pool! It really was the best thing ever to get back from a long day sightseeing and slide into that pool whilst watching all the people down below on the beach and in the town. If you had stayed at the Palazzo Murat, Buca di Bacco of the Covo you would not have had such wonderful views as they are down in the centre of the town. We could also see the pool of the Covo from our hotel and whilst it looked very nice that side of Positano loses the afternoon sun as it drops behind the hill, not very useful when you wanted a late afternoon swim and sunbathe like we did.

The staff in the hotel were very attentive and helpful in particular Gianni the amazing pool attendent for whom nothing was too much trouble, his attention to detail in lining up the sunbeds again at the end of the day was incredible! Enza and Antonella on the front desk were also very helpful, Enza was always smiling and gave very good information for our hike along the walk of the gods. Antonella got us a great table for dinner 1 night at Buca di Bacco even though when we arrived they thought we were personal friends of the head waiter and went to get him until we explained we didn't actually know him personally. It wasn't until the next day Antonella confessed he was her cousin! The maids were very good too, the room was always spotless and the towels changed twice a day.

We had booked a junior suite (Room 203) so we had a good sized room with a little seating area and a balcony which overlooked the breakfast terrace and the sea. We couldn't quite see the town from our balcony as it was blocked from you by another part of the hotel, the sea view was beautiful enough for me though! The only negative I have about the room is the shower, it wasn't particulary hot and didn't have a large spray although somehow it managed to soak the bathroom as the screen wasn't that efficient. I wouldn't let the shower put me off staying here again though!

We only had breakfast in the hotel which was plentiful, wide choice of cereals, pastries, cheese ham etc. There isn't a hot option but both me and my boyfriend who usually enjoys a hot breakfast when on holiday were more than satisfied. We did have pizza round the pool one day for a late lunch which was lovely albeit larger than I was expecting! We didn't have dinner in the hotel as I'm a vegetarian and there wasn't many options for me but it would have been a lovely place to dine on the terrace.

We ate out every night, first night at the Palazzo Murat which was in a lovely courtyard in the centre of town, very nice food, albeit a little pricey and the jasmine didn't do my boyfriend's hayfever any favours! 2nd night we ate at Le Terrazze restaurant which was amazing, very romantic and the food was lovely. We enjoyed it so much we agreed to book again for our last night, ask for table 5 if you go! You can walk down the hotel steps to the beach to get to Le Terrazze then work off all the calories on your way back up after! Or you can walk the long way round if you want a gentler stroll after dinner! We went to the club underneath Le Terrazze called Music on the Rocks, it was a really cool location in the cave and it looked great, we got in there after dinner at about 10.30pm though and it was very quiet even though it was a saturday night. The barman said it didn't get busy until after 12.30, we had a couple of drinks but at 10 euros each we didn't stay too long!

We also went to Chez Black on the beach for lunch which was really nice, they even made my pizza into a heart shape! La Zagara is good for after dinner drinks and maybe dessert, they have live music on every night...great atmosphere!

All in all we would go back to Positano and the Marincanto in a heartbeat!

3 Thank Leanne J
Atlanta
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We just returned from our trip to Positano and 2 weeks, yes 2 weeks, at the Hotel Marincanto. This is probably our 8th stay in Positano and always at the Hotel Marincanto.
I could write a book about how wonderful the hotel is.
The staff is AMAZING! Some of the staff have been with the hotel 20 years.
The staff remembers us on each visit and greets us like family.
The owners are fantastic!
The location is perfect and the views are spectacular from the hotel and rooms.
They now also have a restaurant in the hotel.
We ate dinner there 3 times and the food was very, very good.
The staff is more than happy to answer all questions and assist you with any requests and assistance for ideas about what, when and where to go.
The pool is very, very nice.
There is private access to the beach below.
The morning breakfast is unbelievable. I can’t think of anything they don’t have on the buffet.
I prefer the location of this hotel because it is on the other side of Positano heading towards Amalfi.
That gives you even better views of Positano.
Also, for those looking for places to eat out, Bruno’s is just down the hill a few hundred feet with great local food and the best views of Positano.
The owners and the staff are wonderful people. It can be difficult to get a table outside overlooking Positano because everyone wants to go there.
Also, if anyone wants to taking a cooking class, you must try Restaurant - IL RITROVO Contatti.
My partner and I did a lot of research to determine this was the place for a cooking class.
There were just the 2 of us and what an adventure and all hands on.
Enjoy!
Frank and Frank

4 Thank bestbet99
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Marincanto in Positano and had such an amazing time. We were nervous at first because we relied mainly on TripAdvisor reviews but we were not disappointed. The hotel is in the best location - amazing view, walking distance to everything.

We had a small terrace (Room 230) looking out to both the sea and the town. I saw a previous review from someone on this particular room (and it was negative) and I must say that I am somewhat bewildered on their review (they complained about the noise from the room above as well as the small terrace). I guess you can't please everyone!

The staff at the hotel were also very helpful and wanted to make sure our stay was perfect. They gave us great recommendations for restaurants, things to do, etc. They also arranged our transportation to/from Naples for us, as well as a day trip to Capri.

The views at the hotel are amazing - from the terrace, decks, pool, etc. The pool service was also phenomenal - Gionni made sure we were taken care of the whole time. The breakfast also had a number of options and they even arranged for us to eat on our terrace every morning.

We would certainly return to this hotel and would recommend to anyone. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Request a room with both sea and town view!
2 Thank nYcCritic1
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Let me preface this review by saying that I did about a year's research prior to booking this hotel... If you are reading this, don't even bother considering another hotel in Positano.

Background: My wife and I went for our five year wedding anniversary, we are in our early 30's, and we travel quite often. We typically stay at Starwood type properties (W, Westin, Le meridien, etc...)

Most people going to Amalfi choose a 'home base' on the coast, and it seems to typically be Sorrento or Positano. I would choose Positano as it is more of a central location and very easy to get to all other places of interest such as Amalfi town, Ravello, Capri, as well as Sorrento (by bus or ferry). Also, Positano is (in my opinion) the most beautiful location on the coast.

Note: If you do take the SITA bus from Sorrento to Positano, sit on the right side of the bus or you will miss the fantastic views of the coastline! Absolutely stunning!

The Great:
The location of the hotel cannot be beat, it is as simple as that. The views you see from the hotel are the same your will see in travel magazines advertising Positano. The hotel breakfast area, sundeck, and rooms we stayed in all provided the same amazing views. We stayed in a Junior Suite for two nights (209) which was absolutely breathtaking. There was a spacious balcony with a table and two chairs with absolutely unobstructed views of the town and ocean. There is a jacuzzi tub which also has the same views. The room was spotlessly clean and decorated in a manner that is simple but elegant. As some people have noted, the beds were a little harder than we are used to, but that was the case wherever we stayed in Italy. The other two nights, we stayed in 225 which does not have an outdoor balcony, but has a small Juliet terrace with postcard views of the town. Both rooms were absolutely amazing.

The staff. As most have noted, the staff was absolutely amazing. It would be too much to point everyone out individually, but everyone went above and beyond to make sure that all of our needs were taken care of- at ALL times. First class service.
I do have to point out one person in particular, however- Enza. Enza works at the front desk and was absolutely amazing. She gave us amazing recommendation on where to eat (ie, avoiding the tourist traps), what to see, where to go, and what to do. She is an expert in all things Amalfi and our trip would have not been the same without her advice. The sentiment was obviously shared by most other guests as there was often a line to talk to her. She obviously loves what she does and goes above and beyond to make sure that all guests of the Marincanto have the best experience possible when they are staying there. She was always smiling and interacted with all the guests. She also arranged a nice anniversary surprise in our room for us which was extremely thoughtful. It seems that all of the locals in Positano know each other and everyone knows Enza. We were taken care of at various restaurants simply by mentioning her name...

The amenities. The breakfast was fantastic. Some have complained of not having a 'hot option' which is true, but we ate like royalty every morning. There are a number of items to choose from including various fresh meats, cheeses, eggs, fruits, pastries, etc. Accompany that with a nice capuccino or latte to start the day, and you are good until the mid-afternoon. While in the Junior Suite, we had breakfast on our terrace once and it was fantastic. The decor outside near the breakfast are is beautiful and accentuates the 'Amalfi' feel.

Convenience- as I noted earlier, very easy to get to all parts of the coast from Amalfi. If you are to taking the SITA (local) bus anywhere, the stop is 30 seconds from the hotel. (The Sponda stop). Also, very convienient to all parts of Positano. Unless we had dinner high up in the hills, we walked everywhere.

The "OK":
A few things stood out as somewhat inconvenient but would not prevent me from staying there again.
The Wi-fi as many have noted, is not great. It works, but is spotty and is something that can be fixed rather easily. (I wasn't too interested in going online while vacationing, but if you are addicted to the internet, it can be a bit annoying). The second inconvenience was that it seemed like there was only one iron/ironing board for the entire hotel... Had to wait a few times to get it. Obviously not a deal breaker, but I hate wrinkes ;-). The hallway decor is something that can probably be updated at some point (grass green carpet) but again, just things I noted to paint a true picture of our stay.

As many have noted, there is somewhat of a climb to get to the beach. We didn't sit there and count the exact steps, but its maybe a 5-7 minute walk down. If you are completely out of shape or have breathing difficulties, this might be an issue- but for the average person, its really nothing- and it helps burn off all the calories you will be consuming during your stay!

Overall, our experience at the Marincanto was absolutely amazing. We have stayed at and visited some amazing places in our life, but this was one of the best. The hotel is not something like a Four seasons or St. Regis, but is still a fantastic place to stay and I would not consider staying anywhere else in Positano. We will definitely return, and will definitely stay at the Marincanto again... We had met a bunch of newlyweds during our trip and everyone loved the hotel.

You will not be disappointed...

Room Tip: 209: Junior Suite, 225: no balcony but amazing views.
6 Thank metsguy
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We only had the opportunity to stay here 2 nights, but it was amazing. We had a small room without a walk out balcony (Room 225) but we decided we had one of the best rooms because of the view from our bed during the entire trip - amazing. The breakfast is great, the pool lounge area is relaxing with the best waiter to take care of you. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had room 225 with has a double door that opens onto a terrace but you aren't able to sit on i...
1 Thank Ronda K