“Great family run hotel with amazing views”
Review of Palazzo Talamo

Palazzo Talamo
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Positano
San Diego
“Great family run hotel with amazing views”
Reviewed 14 October 2009

My wife and I stayed three wonderful nights in this great family run hotel. We looked at a lot of hotels in Positano before booking our trip and we were not disappointed with our choice. There are 12 rooms in the quaint hotel that is conveniently located along the internal Positano road. The hotel is located at the top of the hill, but you can access the beach by climbing down 260 steps or by simply taking the internal Positano bus, 1 euro from tabacchi shops, 1.30 euro on board. The bus was really convenient as the bus stop is just a few yards from the hotel. Our room was large by Italian standards and very clean. The bathroom was huge and beautifully tiled, with a large bath tub/shower with a shower curtain. The views from the balcony that overlooked the ocean were absolutely fantastic!! A nice continental breakfast was served every day. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We will definitely stay here again.

A quick note regarding travel to/from Positano: We were travelling from Siena to Positano. We planned on taking the ferry from Salerno to avoid the Napoli train station, but were unable due to weather/train delays. We ended up having to take the train to Napoli. From Napoli, we took the “circumvesuviana” train to Sorrento and the bus to Positano. On the way out of Positano, we took the ferry to Salerno and a quick train to Rome. We would definitely recommend the ferry as opposed to the bus/circumvesuviana/train option. Try to avoid Napoli, if at all possible.

3 Thank JGCSanDiego

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We drove the Amalfi coast. As you come down the road (ears popping) and after you pass the Hotel Posa Posa (on your right) you will see the Palazzo Talamo (also on your right). But....where to do you Park!!!!! Arghh!! Just continue down for 1 minute and then at a 180 degree bend there lies a garage. Go in here. It's about 18 Euro for 24 hours (if you mention you are at this hotel) and quite frankly there is little elsewhere to park.

It takes about 5 minutes (with luggage) to walk up to the hotel. It is worth it. Some hotels in Positano have parking - most dont. Even if they do, it's only one or two spaces.

The hotel is great. Great views from the room balcony (full sea views). Spacious rooms (high ceilings). Great staff. Perfectly clean. A hotel the young would find trendy and the old would find comfortable. Perfect location. If you're looking for anything else then I would ask yourself if you should be in Positano - what more do you really need?

Tip 2: Order breakfast on your balcony one morning. worth the small room charge.

The hotel is on the 'better cliff face' for restaurants and there are two or three great ones just outside your door.

If we went back, we would go here again. It is great value for money and actually, quite unexpected.

2 Thank London_Stu_B
Ohio
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We loved Palazzo Talamo for many reasons. A lovely patio to sit and enjoy the beautiful view, have a glass of wine or sandwich from the local grocery. The location on the hill is perfect. Not too far up and up high enough to savor picturesque Positano. The front desk, no matter who was working, was friendly and helpful. The elevator was pleasant surprise after using steps most of our trip. The breakfast buffet was absolutely amazing. Enza makes the best breakfast pastry (artichoke) and cappuccino. We loved the shops in Positano which were a nice walk away. The ferry dock was just below the hotel, taking the steps down. We even enjoyed our afternoon in the rain visiting the Basilica and shopping. Took one day to travel to Ravello. What a wonderful day that was. Visited Villa Rufolo, saw a wedding in the square and a wonderful band was playing that Sunday morning as we sipped on our morning cappuccino. Our only regret was that we did not make a purchase at our favorite ceramic shop, Elsir di Positano 90 Via Positano. We left early in the morning for Rome and although the breakfast room was not open Michele made us coffee as we waited for our driver. We loved the restaurant across the street, DaVincenzo. Wonderful food and atmosphere. We had dinner there two out of the three nights we were in Positano. If I could ever go back to Italy, Palazzo Talamo is one place I would have to visit again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank BuckeyeBabeOhio
New Zealand
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We stayed for 5 nights at this fabulous hotel and had the most wonderful time. The hosts were very welcoming and nothing was to much trouble.
The breakfasts were great - make sure that you have the pie at breakfast.
The balcony from our room had stunning views over the sea and looking down the houses to the beach. We were away for a month from New Zealand going to many famous and exciting places but this hotel and Positano hold the fondest memories.

Weston, FL
Reviewed 16 September 2009

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at this Pensione and it did not disappoint. It is family run and they take good care of the guests. The rooms were clean and inviting. The balcony with that ocean view is out of this world. The breakfast was better than any of our other stays through-out Italy and the coffee was made to order. The Cafe Positano right next door also ended up being my favorite dinner of the three nights we were there. I can't wait to return to this spot.

Singapore
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I LOVED my stay at Palazzo Talamo. I stayed for 4 nights.

Room:-

The corner room where I stayed was exceptionally spacious, and the bathroom was surprisingly large, airy and bright with a window. I had stayed in various hotels and B&B's along the Amalfi coast which could not afford to be very generous with space. Hence, I was pleasantly surprised. (I believe we were discreetly upgraded to the corner room as well - which was extremely appreciated!)

I liked very much the lovely terrace with a stunning, unfettered seaview, and colourful ceramic-tiled table! However, privacy was a little compromised, as the trellis screens separating the terraces did not provide sufficient coverage. Hence, best time to enjoy some solitude there is 7am (or before ! - when the fishermen come in on their boats) and when dark! Having said that, this mattered little, as everything else was very impressive.

Comfort was key, and considerate touches upped the standards as well, eg free wifi (very fast and good connection), a fridge to keep freshly purchased peaches and such. I liked that the shower stall was a good size with space to put my variety of beauty products! Would have been great if there was tea/coffee making facilities in the room too.

Service:-

Excellent. The night receptionist Michele was very friendly, helpful and gave us grounded insights into the culture, lives and views of the people there. I liked very much the homely breakfast spread every morning in the happy breakfast room. The ladies who greeted us each day with the best cappucino and lots of cheer started our days on a happy note.

Location:-

Fabulous. Along the main street, so easy to find while coming into Positano. Opposite is one of the tastiest ristorante's in Positano - possibly all of Italy! (Da Vincenzo). It is about 260 steps to/from the beach (Spaggia Grande) but please do not be put off by this - lots of pretty things to see on the way down/up, no need to rush, and good exercise to work off the yummy pasta/pizza. Also good that there is an alternative route - can walk/take the bus along the main street - takes a little bit longer, but also very scenic (you cannot get away from pretty sights in Positano!) and shops to see.

Food: The said Da Vincenzo (amazing pasta dishes and sweets), the pizzeria and gelateria at Buca di Baco provide delicious pizza and gelato at great value (can eat in or takeaway). Also Il' Saraceno d'oro.

Conclusion:-

Super, top marks, made our stay in Positano exceptionally memorable, enjoyable and happy! I am sure we are not being too biased, as many of the other patrons staying there looked very happy and contented as well! I hesitated writing this review, as I wanted to keep this hidden gem all to myself! But that would not be doing justice to all the hard work the whole team at Palazzo Talamo has put in to making it one of the best.

To Palazzo Talamo: grazie mille and please keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lola77Sgpr
Wyckoff, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I have driven through and eaten in Positano enough times but I decided to take my 15 yr old daughter here, it was awesome. I was lucky as someone cancelled their reservation since we decided to go two weeks before, this hotel is great. As you approach it look for a church on the left side and it is across from the next restaurant. you can pull over a bit down near the camera store, there is no parking but they take the car for 20 euros to a lot. The views are breathtaking, its family owned. The steps are a bit much, we stayed two nights and estimated we walked up and down 2160 steps, you can take the road back which is longer but easier on the legs. I am going to show you the balcony picture.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family