“Good Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Positano
London
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 14 May 2008

This is not quite a luxury hotel - nearly. It probably does justify its 5 stars however. It is;

- Very well situated ..near the seafront, in the middle of town
- The staff are all friendly and helpful
- The bar and restaurant are good.
- It exudes charm and warmth.

I think you would only have a problem if you were looking for a fancy pool/lounge scene .. wrong town for that I think ...

• Liked — Location, Service
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
wisconsin
Reviewed 24 April 2008

We just left Positano and yearn to be back! The hotel and the staff are absolutely wonderful! The location is the best and the restaurant is very enjoyable. Had wonderful pastry/desserts which a compliment to the chef/owner got me a private lesson with Carla, one of the owners (very gracious woman who previously had made many of the delicate desserts) and she shared some of her secrets with me! I'm hoping she might consider opening a cooking school. We walked the streets and did peak into several other hotels-Really, don't waste your time. Buca di Bacco is the best with wonderful service, quiet, beautiful, large rooms. The halls have orchids to adorn your walk, and the location is absolutely wonderful! I had been booked at another hotel, and then read some concerning comments(trip advisor) and asked to be changed to this hotel. So glad we did. After seeing where we would have been and looking at several rooms, we are so happy that we read the reviews and canceled our previous hotel. Buca di Bacco made us happy in every way!

• Liked — clean, wonderful staff, wonderful food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wisc1
Truckee, California
Reviewed 16 April 2008

My husband & I stayed at Buca di Bacco during our very first trip to the Amalfi Coast/Positano & what a treat that was!
The hotel is, literally, steps from the beach & we splurged & booked a sea view room. We were incredibly pleased with the views & large terrace which overlooked the water. We found ourselves reading out there & both nights left the door open so we could listen to the waves tumbling over the rocks.
The rooms are clean, spacious, up-to-date, tastefully done.
The staff at Buca di Bacco were very professional but at the same time warm, lighthearted & cheery.
Buca di Bacco is also quite easy to get to, which is a huge bonus in Positano. We took the train from Firenze to Naples, then another train from Naples to Sorrento & then took the bus to Postiano. The bus drops you off at the top of this cliffside town & there is a main street (apologies, the name is escaping me) which goes right down to the beach & right to Buca di Bacco. This was such a relief for me as I had a rather large & heavy suitcase to deal with. By the way, be sure to take the second Positano bus stop (when coming from Sorrento)...
Buca di Bacco welcomed us with a complimentary happy hour cocktail voucher (so nice after the long journey!) & their breakfast spread was the best we had in our 3.5 weeks in Europe. Crossiants, cheeses, meats, scrambled eggs & bacon (yes, really!), pastries/cakes, capuccinos, etc.
Last, if you go to Positano (even if you don't end up staying at Buca) have dinner at Ristorante Bruno. It's about a 5 minute walk back up the main street & doesn't have amazing sea views but it certainly makes up for this with the food. Their gnocchi was excellent as was the wine & service. Quaint place, reasonably priced.
Oh, and, we only had 2 nights in Positano & this was way too short, especially when you consider how long it takes to get there. We did a day trip to the hillside town of Ravello & if you want some beautiful ceramics (the stores ship anywhere in the world) it's not to be missed. I sorely wish we'd had time to see Capri.
One last piece of advice: we did the train/train/bus route on our way in & it was an arduous journey. On the way out we took the ferry from Positano to Salerno & then walked to the train station & took the train to Rome. THIS was the way to go. So peaceful to sit on the ferry, gaze at the towns & skip the windy, unpleasant bus ride. The Positano ferry is also incredibly close to Buca di Bacco.
Note though, that the ferry is seasonal. We took it in early April but perhaps it only runs April - October?

• Liked — Location, views, friendly staff, great breakfast.
  • Disliked — A bit pricey with the weak dollar (but still worth it).
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 January 2008

We stayed in the Hotel Buca di Bacco in August of 2007. The hotel was amazing and included stunning views of the ocean and picturesque town.

We were greeted like family at check-in and promptly shown to our rooms. The room we stayed in was absolutely amazing with a wrought iron chandelier, an expansive private terrace with two lounge chairs overlooking the ocean visage, and a huge bathroom. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub (very useful upon returning from the beach) and included polished fixtures that looked immaculate. The TV was satellite and included several English language channels, as well as many other languages.

The hotel offered free internet in the lobby only, but it was fine to sit on the comfortable lobby furniture and have an impromptu chat with the desk staff while checking email. The staff was fantastic- everyone from the breakfast staff to the desk staff to the cleaning staff. We never came across one staff member who did not greet us with a smile. The breakfast spread was fantastic, offering a wide variety of bread and pastries, fruits, cereals, eggs, and other breakfast staples of Europe. The coffee choices were great, and waking up was made all the more sweeter by sitting with a cappuccino overlooking the ocean.

As far as the locale goes, it is fantastic (albeit expensive). There are some very unique stores for both men's and women's fashion very nearby the hotel. Just up the street, you can find some excellent art galleries, glassmakers, and other stores of the artisan vein. Being Italy, most of the restaurants naturally are tops, and we ate at both the hotel's fantastic restaurant and the charming pizzeria one level below. Personally, I never went to the beach, but it seemed that the free main beach was grossly overcrowded and dirty during the day. However, at night, it played host to a great big band concert during our stay. The town is nestled among some very steep cliffs, offering stunning scenery; some of my favorite photos I have ever taken were captured in Positano.

There are a few excursions you can take around Positano. We arrived in the city via driver, but it is also possible to arrive from Sorrento, Salerno, and other locations by ferry or hydrofoil. We took a private boat trip a little ways down the coast and were able to jump straight off the boat into the azure water, a truly amazing experience.

ONE word to the wise- there is no access to the hotel by car. You can only drive into the town so far, and the rest of the way, you must walk. This is great because it preserves the pedestrian air of the town, but a royal pain when dragging two months' worth of luggage (and new Italian clothes) down the steep streets. There are several porter services that can handle the luggage, but many are overpriced, and one of our suitcases was damaged by the porters. That was rather annoying when paying a Euro per bag, however, I realize that is certainly not to detract from the hotel itself.

Positano and Buca di Bacco are quite possibly the closest to paradise on the Amalfi Coast.

• Liked — STAFF, view, food, rooms
  • Disliked — the accessibility options
  • Stayed August 2007
5 Thank Cskopje
Hawley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 January 2008

In 2000, my husband and I took a 16-day trip to Italy. We saw Rome, Positano, Florence, and Venice. Positano is reached by taking the train to Naples. DO NOT make the mistake that we did, and take the bus(es) to Sorrento, and then down the steep hillside to Positano. Take the hydrofoil from Naples instead. Our 4-day stay in Positano was at the Hotel Bucca De Baco. All the rooms at the Bucca de Baco face the Tyrannian sea, and (we were there in July) when we got to our room, and opened the door onto the private terrace, I thought that I had died and gone to heaven! The room we had was very large, with an in-room safe, and a beautifully tiled bath. The place is a bed and breakfast, which not only includes an extensive breakfast buffet, but ALSO includes ANYTHING else which you may not see, but can request. The chefs there will make you anything, to order! The dinner restaurant, which overlooks the beach, is absolutely divine, and we ate there almost every night. If you visit Positano, you will be hard-pressed to find a better hotel, than the Bucca de Baco. It is simply, THAT GOOD!

14 Thank MsYackieHead
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2007

I stayed at Hotel Buca di Bacco from 15-18th October 2007. It was the most wonderful hotel in a splendid location in Positano. And the views were just breathtaking, whether from my room or from the breakfast terrace!!

To add to this, the staff were just so wonderful and helpful especially in helping me deal with the complete inefficiency and ineptitude of Alitalia who had managed to "lose" my bags on a flight from Rome to Naples! The hotel even has free internet!

So even though i had no baggage for my entire stay in Positano, the staff were just so wonderful that i managed to not really notice my dilemma and was able to have a great time there. On the last day when i checked out, the hotel had been great in making sure that Alitalia had my bags waiting for me upon my return to Rome later that day! Phew!

I would like to encourage anyone who is going to the Amalfi Coast for a holiday to definitely stay at this hotel in Positano for the hotel experience of a lifetime! I can't wait to go back one day and stay in this hotel, hopefully with my luggage! Lol!

• Liked — The location and the superior quality of the hotel & its staff
  • Disliked — Could have been slightly easier to find - luckily i had a map and can ask for directions in Italian!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
7 Thank lizm1972
Denver, CO
Reviewed 9 November 2007

If you want to enjoy your time in Positano, stay at this hotel!!! I had originally booked only one night at the hotel, but extended it to two after a bad experience on Capri. I am so glad I did! The hotel is beautiful and the staff is more than accomodating. Francesco, the manager, is so welcoming and helpful. The hotel has an excellent restaurant on site as well. I cannot say enough positive things about Buca di Bacco!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled solo