“All around great hotel in Positano”

Hotel La Bougainville
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Positano
New York, NY
“All around great hotel in Positano”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We made reservations here based on Trip Advisor reviews and we were treated to a pleasant stay in Positano. The hotel is located near a bus stop in Positano - we are not sure if the bus stop is for local Positano buses only or if you can take them to neighboring towns on the Amalfi Coast. We arrived from Capri to Positano by ferry. From the Positano marina, it is approximately a 10 min uphill walk to the hotel and it would take longer if carrying luggage or wearing heels. The main street you walk up in Positano can get crowded in high season, so that may add time also. We chose to upgrade to an ocean view and it was definitely worth it. The breakfast, available 8-10am, was typical for other hotels we stayed at in Italy - fresh fruit, one meat, one cheese, selection on breads and pastries, yogurt, cereal, teas/coffee, one juice, water, milk. The breakfast room was lovely and had a nice view. Wifi was included and had good connectivity in the room. Service was excellent as they helped book us a car transfer to Pompeii (60 min drive) and then on to Naples (30 min drive from Pompeii). Restaurant recommendations were spot-on. The bathroom size was good, the counter space was large enough for two medium sized toiletry bags and one small bag. There was enough shampoo and body wash for four days for two people. In short, we would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to returning.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 April 2014

hotel la bougainville is a small hotel in the heart of Positano. helpful staff and a wonderful buffet breakfast. I was delighted to have as many cappuccinos as I wanted without having to pay extra for them! We had a room "with a view" which is worth the extra money. Rick Steve recommends this hotel ; it proved to be a good recommendation. Would stay there again. J.B.

Room Tip: ask for room with a view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Phoenix, AZ USA
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was my second stay at the La Bougainville. It is in a great location not very far from the beach and close to shopping and restaurants. I arrived by boat on this trip and departed on the local Sita bus, and the hotel is relatively close to both the boat dock and the bus stop on the main road through town….but I was traveling light. You would't want to haul any steamer trunks through the streets of Positano.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. On both of my stays, the hotel staff spent time helping with information on how to get around Naples and also helped me book a hotel in Rome. I had a sea view room on this trip which was definitely nicer than a room at the rear of the hotel that my tour company booked on my first trip. The deck was large with chairs for lounging, with nice views of the town and a view of the Mediterranean. Breakfast was good and served in a very attractive dining area. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I liked the sea view room much better than the rooms at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Positano was the last stop in our 8 day Italy trip. We came to Positano due to a strong referral from one of my best friends in Montreal!
WE WERE SO GLAD WE CAME HERE!
This place is gorgeous, the roads, the people everything is unique and enchanting. The water is a short but steep 5 minute walk from the hotel. We took a private transfer from Naples Airport to Positano via Pompeii (Well worth the short stop).

Sorrento is beautiful as you pass it along the curvy mountain roads. You get a nice view of Naples from Sorrento.

La Bougainville was the right place for us since it was not too far from the beach and the bus stop to take you around Positano is just accross the street.
Reminder you have to pay each way going up and again going down if you take the local bus.
You can rent scooters but ahh at your own risk, drivers and roads are like westmount in Montreal ;)

The owner of the hotel is a sweet middle aged lady who manages it with class and finesse.
She is very helpful when helping you choose the best spots to have lunch or dinner in town.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again,, it was only for two night but the price and location are great. Only downside was the window in our room we had no view and it was very high up on the wall, I don;t think all the rooms are like that, so make sure you get one that has a normal height window.

Be mindful You have to carry your own luggage up the stairs if you are elderly or have packed heavy.

Tip: Make sure you make reservations for the restaurant La Tagliata, they can make it for you at your hotel and a shuttle will pick you up for free, this restaurant is located at the top of the mountain overlooking the Mediterranean sea and the food is prepared by Mama, you will absolutely love it!

Ciao Arrivederci!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canadianxplorers
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We had a lovely time at Hotel La Bougainville. The location is perfect! Rooms are well equipped and clean, staff very friendly and helpful. Nice coffee at breakfast although I found the other breakfast options a little too focused on sweet rather than savory. We asked the hotel to book a transfer for us from Naples and whilst expensive, it was well worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lam_378
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The Hotel La Bougainville exceeded my expectations. Every positive review that was written was spot on. The proximity to shops, the walking path to the beach, and the numerous restaurants for dining was perfect. The staff was always pleasant to talk to, and offered a number of recommendations for our stay. The hotel itself is just LOVELY. The colors are brilliant, the rooms feel open and airy, the views are breathtaking, and the cleanliness was great. I have already recommended it to my friends since coming back, and I look forward to staying there again when I return for a longer trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tiffany G
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My 2 girlfriends and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at HLB!! The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. Recommended a great restaurant that locals like to eat at (name escapes me right now). One of my friends had twisted her knee in the beginning of our trip and the staff gave her an ice pack every night. It was ready and waiting for her upon our return to the room in the evening. We had a triple room - it was a bit tight but we managed. This for me was the only downside as it wasn't what the pictures looked like when we booked. However, we did have a lovely balcony overlooking the ocean and hillsides. Just lovely.
The breakfast was ok. But my experience with B&B's in Europe is definitely not the same as it is in the States. And I've learned to adapt and accept. =)
All in all, this is a great place to stay and I would stay here again if I came back to Positano!

Room Tip: Unless you're arriving by bus or private car, you will be arriving by ferry. PAY the 7-8 euros f...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends