“Don't get scammed by the parking "attendant"”
Review of Cumae (Cuma)

Ranked #7 of 42 things to do in Pozzuoli
Amsterdam
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Don't get scammed by the parking "attendant"”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We arrived at the Cuma archeological site and were directed by a guy that offered "to keep an eye on our car" , although it is a free parking lot. Who is damaging my car - it's in the middle of nowhwere ?

I don't understand why the Museum staff allows people to scam tourists that visit their archeological site.

We just left - I don't like being ripped off.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank DiveJedi

Naples, Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great place but a challenge to get to!”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Cuma Archaeological Park is a beautiful and interesting place and off the normal tourist path so much quieter. I think we were the only people visiting that day, if not week. This ancient site outdates most of the history in Rome and Naples and really is a treasure and hopefully more will be unearthed there in the future as excavations continue.

The park closes an hour before sunset and today (14th Jan) closed at 2.30ish. It's very quiet in winter, though there did seem to some facilities (drinks kiosk) that may be open in the high season.

The biggest challenge as I said in the title of the review is getting there - it was a second attempt that proved successful. Here's some top tips as to how to get there from Napoli:

(1) Don't use the Circumflegrea line from Montesanto to Torregaveta which supposedly stops at Cuma. It frequently doesn't go that far (e.g. stops at Licola) and trying to get a bus or taxi from there proved fruitless, though it was a Sunday. I was informed elsewhere though that additionally the Cuma station is nowhere near to the entrance to the site.

(2) The best option for getting to Cuma is to go via Pozzuoli. The Cumana train goes there from Montesanto and the Line 2 train from Gianturco (via Garibaldi station) goes to another train station in Pozzuoli. Either will work.

(3) If you go via the Cumana train (final destination Torregaveta), then you'll be near a bus stop (EAV bus) and take the P12R bus to Cuma. Cuma is the last on the line and stops right outside the park. They run every 20minutes or so, but Italian buses aren't 100% reliable.

(4) If you take the Line 2 train from Gianturco then you could also walk to the bus stop from the Pozzuoli station to the stop (though I don't know the route). I suggest taking a taxi to Cuma, which is what we did, though 20 euros is the maximum you should agree to pay - the meter didn't even reach that but we'd agreed to pay 25.

In brief: get a train to Pozzuoli and then either a taxi or bus to Cuma and get the bus back to Pozzuoli afterwards. The stop is by a cafeteria at the end of the short drive leading up to the park entrance.

Additionally: I have heard that you can get the Cumana train to Fusaro and then get a bus from there to Cuma, but I found no evidence this was possible from our experience and my research. Unfortunately travel info is anything but centralised in this part of Italy...

Worth it for an interesting day out and as other reviewers have said, some fantastic views, but not for those who want a clearly mapped out travel itinerary with little chance of interruption or change.

Visited January 2014
9 Thank Susannah M
Farnham, United Kingdom
122 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“Quiet and peaceful but fascinating and beautiful”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I'll start this review by saying straight away that Cuma is really worth a visit.

Obviously when in southern Italy, the tourists flock to Pompeii and Herculaneum, and rightly so because they deserve special attention. Cuma is probably unknown to most but is every but as deserving of a visit.

When we visited it was extremely quiet - there were very few others there. The temples on display are mostly ruins but some beautiful parts still remain. The views here are stunning too. Ischia and Procida are dominant on the horizon and the beach stretches out into the distance, with horses and chariots running along from time to time - I could almost imagine what it must have been like looking out at the same horizon in Roman times.

Washington
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Amazingly beautiful.”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We were touring the southwest coast of Italy, on our way from Sicily to Rome, and we read about Cuma. So we drove there and were positively delighted in what we saw. What a beautiful set of ruins we saw there! Very few people, and yet the location was nicely laid out and extremely interesting. From the 8th Century BC. Worth a side trip!

Visited October 2013
Roma
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Totally unexpected and stunning beauty.”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I was taken by a friend who knows the area, otherwise I would never have found this site. The area is semi depressed and does not look good. Cuma is like an oasis in the desert! We were taken round by a wonderful guide who spoke great English and we were blown away by the history and the beauty, these ruins predate the Romans and works here date back to the ancient Greeks. Truly amazing and took my breath away literally, as the walk up to the top is hard work in the heat of the day. But really worth it, 5 stars!!!

Visited September 2013