“Excellent stay for a budget price”
Review of Hotel La Perla

Hotel La Perla
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Praiano
Chicago
“Excellent stay for a budget price”
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Our stay in La Perla was excellent. Very good breakfast, with excellent setup on the veranda overlooking the sea. The bus (SITA and mini-bus) stops were just in front, so you can easily get to the main area of Praiano or Amalfi/Positano even if you do not want to drive (just make sure you know the schedule). The room was at the top floor, which gave us pretty much exclusive use of the hotel terrace. The drawback was the lack of privacy should anyone had decided to use the terrace. A room with a balcony would have been better from that perspective. Either way, we'd definitely consider staying here again.

• Liked — Breakfast, location
  • Disliked — had to pay for slow Internet access
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 29 September 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights in September and had an amazing stay. We didn’t opt for a sea view room which was more expensive but we had a sea view anyway as our room was on the side of the hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel as the village it is in is gorgeous. We thought the best village on the Amalfi Coast as not touristy at all and it has so many wonderful restaurants down in the cove.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2008

We had a most enjoyable stay at La Perla. The staff were always very helpful and attentive and we couldn't have been made more welcome. Our bedroom was comfortable, spacious, with air conditioning and a good ensuite. We had a balcony on the side of the hotel, but looking to our left could see the sea. We enjoyed a good buffet breakfast and the views from the restaurant are incredible. La Perla is on the side of the cliff, affording views along the peninsular towards Amalfi and out to sea.
The hotel is easy to find - right on the coast road and by bus stops.
The coast road is full of bends and hills - interesting when you meet a coach coming the other way, and motorbikes and scooters weave in and out on both sides of you - but this all adds to the fun. We managed to return the hired car without a scratch!
Praiano is a quiet area between the busy, but beautiful, towns of Amalfi and Positano. The whole coastline on that side of the peninsular from Salerno to Positano is lovely but we found the other side disappointing. Sorrento is very built up and crowded and the coastal views from there are not as stunning as in the Amalfi area. The drive from Sorrento to Pompei is through industrialised areas. However, Pompei itself, and the archaeological site is well worth a visit, as is Herculaneum (which can be visited on the way from, or back to, Naples).
We took the ferry from Positano to Capri. and had an enjoyable day but found Capri quite crowded and very expensive, even for a snack.
All in all, a great holiday and very pleasant hotel.

• Liked — Facilities and location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
LA,Ca
Reviewed 19 July 2008

Such a beautiful hotel-very charming & quiet. The Staff is COURTEOUS & VERY HELPFUL-w/ ANYTHING that you may need help with.Owner speaks many languages. They even UPGRADED ME (1 PERSON) TO A DOUBLE AIRCOND. BIG ROOM, FOR THE SAME COST of the small singlEasy 2 find-just 2 the left of rd on Sita bus that I got from SORRENTO(3E).Reception,staff & owner ALL GREAT, Breakfast also lots of it- & looking out on the bay on terrace! PLUS RIGHT ACROSS THE RD IS THE SHORT STAIRWAY DOWN 2 BEACH AND DISCO(AFRICANO)....DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE! THANKS SO MUCH , I loved it!!mimma

• Liked — was quiet & in a great area-bed comfortable,shower large,,,,got the rest I needed. Beach across st
  • Disliked — 0
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank mimmaCal
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 December 2007

How to describe this trip- How can a place so beautiful go so wrong?

First, the place is pretty hard to find coming on a bus. The bus whipped past it so fast, we had to get out at the next exit and take a nice, scary walk back through a tunnel and up the hill to the hotel.

Second, I emailed them to make a reservation twice while in other parts of Italy (after finding them in my Let's Go book). They responded the first time, but not the second. Of course, I had only sporadic email access so I didn't think anything of it. Once me and my two friends arrived, she insisted she did not have our reservation.
I argued - even went to the computer she has in the lobby and showed her our emails. Then and only then did she say oh we never confirmed it, but we had a computer virus right around then and thats why.

Ok fair enough - amazingly though, she didn't mention this virus until
now. She tells me that she has a triple for us, but its the one room in the whole place without a view. Now, we are basically stuck here, having carried our bags up the giant hill to the hotel and not knowing
availability of other hotels in the area. Praiano, compared to Positano and Amalfi, is pretty dead. She agrees to give me the room a bit cheaper than quoted, so we agree. The room, as advertised, was like a cave. Now, the breakfast was served in an amazing little cafe that overlooks the water (albeit from a distance, you are up the mountain). But very pretty.

The worst experience is when I try to check out and leave. We are in a rush because the bus schedules are a mess. It's a different person at checkout, not the lady that helped us at the start. Now a man - a very angry one at that. I tell him that we had a discount because our room was incorrect as well as the Let's Go discount. He starts yelling
- no discount, only one discount. I try to tell him that the lady told
me it would be no problem and he is just having none of it. He says you understand!?!? YOU UNDERSTAND? No discount, discount already!!!!
I say, sir, I will pay whatever you tell me to, but I'm going to write
Let's Go to tell them you don't honor their discount and I'm going to write a review on tripadvisor. he says, Go ahead no one care about what you write! NOW YOU PAY FULL PRICE!" I'm a little angry, but I insist, sir, I will pay whatever you tell me, but I will dispute the charge with my credit card company and write tripadvisor and let's go as specified. That made him really angry and he wouldn't charge me card for 15 minutes (we missed a bus). Neither of us budges and he finally runs my card at the full price. When I get home, I challenge the charge with Amex and am credited the discount.

So - don't stay here. Don't get bullied by hotel operators. And make sure to get confirmations to every email you write!

• Disliked — service
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
8 Thank killjoy00
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 7 May 2007

I booked through hotelclub.com, and got a free upgrade from single room to double room single occupancy, and that with a fabulous view over the sea! Moreover, the room (218) was one floor below the reception, with a separate entrance shared by just one more room, which gave it a feeling of privacy, almost as if you were renting a villa, not a hotel room. For the price I paid this was simply superb!
Very good breakfast selection, spacious breakfast room, and breathtaking views from the terrace. The hotel was very clean, just a few metres from the bus stop (although Italian buses can hardly be recommended), and a short distance from the miniature beach, La Praia (The walk is down the steep stone stairs, and just imagine climbing up the cliff in the summer heat, but this is actually a much shorter walk than that to the main beach in Praiano from villiage center). Very good overall impression.

• Liked — The view, scenic surroundings, value for money
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2006

We Stayed in mid Sept 2006 in Praiano on the Amalfi Coast which is absoutely beautiful! Praiano is a small fishign village in between Positiano and Amalfi. La Perla hotel is a small, friendly clean bed and breakfast hotel which provided everything we needed for the trip.

The only downside to Praiano is the lack of maps to discover the area. We heard that there are some very beautiful walks but because it is a very small place, there were none. Also the transport was not all that great. The Sita bus are an adventure! Never on time and always crowded but when on the bus, there are some very beautiful view of the Amalfi Coastline!

I would definitly stay again at La Perla, Praiano as it is so much quieter than the other towns and is nicee to escape the hustle and bustle of those places. Also there are a few goodd restaurants such as Cala Paridices, La Trattoria and la Brace were fantastic and resonable. You would be hard to sspend 50 Euros on a three course meal with wine.

The best places to visit are in order of what I thought to be great:

1) Ravello- A must, there are some amazing view as it is very high up! Whilst there, Villa Ruffalo and Villa Cimbrone are the places to see, the views are amazing and although you have to pay to enter the place, it is well worth it and I often daydream about those two places while I am working!

2) Amalfi- Another lovely place with a beautiful Dumno in the main square as well as some very good for shopping and ice cream! Also we discovered a walk from Amalfi to the town of Atrani via steps. We walked up and down many steps to reach Amalfi from Atrani, well worth doing and burning those extra calories from all that ice cream!

3) Pompeii- Spectular! A must with loads to see!

4) Sorrento- If you can bear to get the Sita bus which takes about and hour and 15mins from Praiano, it worth a visit. Very beautiful, lots to see and also good for shopping. We did learn that you can get a ferry from Sorrento to Positiano which takes 30 mins. You can also get a ferry from Positaino to Naples but we could not due to rough seas.

5) Positiano - Another beautiful place with lots to see. The downside is that it gets very crowded so it was quite hard to do any of the from Praiano is breathtaking.

Make sure you take a camera!

• Liked — Great views
  • Disliked — Constant sewage smell in the bathroom
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple