“Slice of Coastal Italian Paradise”
Review of Hotel Margherita

Hotel Margherita
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Praiano
Freehold, New Jersey
“Slice of Coastal Italian Paradise”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I booked 3 rooms at the Hotel Margherita on recommendation of a friend, and she couldn't have made a better suggestion.

My fiance, his family, and I toured Italy at the end of August and were fortunate enough to spend two wonderful nights at this hotel. The rooms were clean, bright, and comfortable (my fiance and I were even upgraded to a superior room - I highly recommend booking this option if you can since it comes with a daybed and hot tub on the balcony!). The view from our balcony was too incredible for words. Spend the extra money to reserve a sea view room.

Breakfast was substantial and tasty, and we even ate dinner on the rooftop one night. The lemon tiramisu was to die for, and the band accompanying the meal was simply lovely. We got up and danced with them when we had finished eating and had a great time.

The bus to Positano stops right in front of the hotel. It's a crowded ride, for sure, but it only takes about 15 minutes and I'd imagine it beats making the perilous trip down the cliffside on your own mode of transportation.

Truly, the staff, the food, and the accommodations at this hotel were top notch. I would stay at the Hotel Margherita again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Don't pass up an opportunity to book a sea view room. It is 100% worth the extra money for the i...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank eponine169

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 25th anniverversary along the Amalfi coast and everything about our experience at Hotel Margherita was perfect. We have been to many regions of Italy over our 5 trips but this was the first to the Amalfi Coast which we had long heard of and seen photos....From the first correspondence with Suela about the hotel, to the warm greeting complete with beer and a coffee, the service was exceptional. Even with a change of itinerary, Suela had arranged for a driver to pick us up in Ercolano on a spontaneous detour we'd taken to see Herculaneum and brought us to the hotel. Each time we planned an activity they were happy to assist with information, a ride to the beach, bus stop, pick up at the ceramic shop or elsewhere! While we're in good shape for walking , it was still a wonderful convenience! Our room had a wonderful view ....breathtaking ....and a perfect place to watch sunrise! We also enjoyed the pool one evening even though it was mid-October. The restaurant on site was fabulous and we ate there twice - again excellent service. It was fun staying there 4 nights because we got to know the morning staff well...the breakfast was full and delicious with made to order eggs, home made breakfast breads, juices and of course cappuchinos. We also enjoyed relaxing in the bar, and the outdoor lounge area as well. We also appreciated the wonderful location of the hotel....it is nearby a good pizza restaurant, the laundry, bank, and the "center" of the little town. The town is charming and the beach area, restaurants there were just our speed. We actually loved it so much more than Positano! The location too was perfect for a day trip to Amalfi and Ravello. We would highly recommend a stay here for the perfect Amalfi experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony! Our room was large, the bed very comfortable and the bathroom was ve...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carolyn S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We had a wonderful stay here in September. On arrival over a cup of coffee on some comfy sofas in the lobby Suela with her trusty file set us up for a fantastic experience of the Amalfi coast. She explained all about the transport options, complete with timetables and handy hints as well as tours available which we could book through the hotel and location of handy store, laundromat etc. Suela is super organised!

Our room overlooked the sea and I must say I was surprised to read an earlier review which suggested it was too noisy. For us it was perfect. We enjoyed having the little balcony where we enjoyed the sunsets each night with a glass of wine. The room felt spacious and was clean and fresh.

A generous buffet breakfast was provided downstairs each morning with cereals,fruit, toast, home made pastries, fruit juices and coffee and option of cooked meal on request.

We ate several nights at the upstairs rooftop restaurant. The two young lads were attentive, spoke very good English and nothing was too much trouble.The meals were superb and servings generous and they were value for money. The view breath taking. We had intended to try out some of the local restaurants, as we usually do however we felt as if we were in the best place so why go elsewhere.We also took the opportunitiy of room service, after a long lunch when visiting friends who were staying in Positano, and ordered pizza which was also great. We even noticed one one occasion that people who were staying elsewhere came for take-away pizza.

Staying in Prainao (a decision made after reading Amanda Tabberer's book My Amalfi before we came - and recommended to anyone if they are thinking of styaing on the Amalf )rather than Positano was a really good idea. It is well connected by a shuttle bus that stops right outside the door of the hotel and Praino is less crowded and has a more genuine village feel. Suela provides tickets for the local bus and is most helpful and knowlegeable about anything to do with the Amalfi, often offering the hotel car driven by Genarro or one of the other staff members to pick you up from the Sita bus stop or indeed driving you to a stop just a bit out of town that meant the bus would be less crowded.

We just loved our stay and hope that one day we can return. We never did get over to Capri so we have something to bring us back to this lovely part of Italy. Thanks to Suela, Andreas and all the staff (which is like a family) for their hospitality. Ron & Eleanor

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rne_swanb
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Most of this review will be reiterating what has already been said so many times but I'll try to add a few things!
The hotel staff and owners are beyond compare as far as customer service is concerned and everything about the hotel is absolutely top notch.
Breakfast is great, but the fact that they will cook up fresh eggs for you on request is a rarity in Italy and much appreciated.
Free parking right at the hotel is somewhat rare and very convenient.
WiFi is free and was very strong even on the third floor balcony.
The pool is somewhat small (and shallow) but it, as well as the pool area is amazing.
To me the location in Praiano is great, somewhat in the middle of sprawling Praiano so not overly close to anything but not far away either, loved the fact that a short walk got me to Bar Del Sole for evening drinks to watch the sunset overlooking the church and Positano.
I stayed in a deluxe room on the third floor overlooking the pool and terrace, I thought it was well worth the extra cost.
Bathroom and shower were very large and quite high end looking.
The rooftop terrace was not open for meals while I was there so I was a little disappointed but I ate at the hotel restaurant twice, sitting on the small terrace overlooking the street, and had two great meals. Chefs menu with 4 courses for a very reasonable price. Great food and, not surprisingly, great service.
Also, and this may be the best service of all, they'll pick you up or drive you anywhere in Praiano at any reasonable hour.
I didn't feel like making the long walk up from La Praia beach after dinner, so asked the restaurant owner to call the hotel and they picked me up shortly thereafter.

I'll probably measure any future hotel stays against the Hotel Margherita.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank brian6d
Ceprano, Italy
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We loved this place. From the moment we entered we were treated with exceptional kindness and superior service. Upon arrival we were offered something to drink... coffee, cappuccino, wine.... then we were accompanied to our room and shown all the amenities. The room was very large with lovely furnishings, including a large, very comfy chaise lounge, a stunning bathroom with big fluffy white towels, cosy terrycloth robes and slippers, not at all the kind of things you find at a typical 3 star in Italy. The bed was oh so comfortable too. We had a deluxe room with a sea view, well worth the nominal additional cost. Breakfast is indeed plentiful and yummy, with wonderful homemade cakes, yogurt, and more. Suela was very quick to respond to any questions, including printing off bus schedules. Throughout our stay she made us feel very cared for. If you like lots of activity around in the evening, this may not be the place for you. But, if you prefer being away from the hustle and bustle, preferring serenity with amazing comfort and service, just 20 minutes or so from Amalfi and Positano, do not miss this place. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week in mid October. There are many positives about the hotel so I will address those first. The staff is extremely kind and hospitable! It was my first time to Italy, so it was very nice to feel the Italian culture's hospitality by meeting the hotel staff. After 2 missed flights getting there, we didn't arrive until almost 10pm. By then we were starving and exhausted. I took a chance in asking if the restaurant is open. They typically close at 10pm, but upon seeing our famished faces, we were rushed into the dinning room, seated, brought complementary white wine, and were eating (a delicious) hot dinner 5 minutes later! That really impressed me, and suddenly the woes of traveling just melted away! The rest of our stay was same level of service and kindness. They deserve 5 stars for that!

The hotel property is very well decorated and inviting. The open air rooftop is really nice with lounge chairs and tables. We spent a few late nights up there enjoying the stars and distant views. Behind that is a small lemon garden which is beautiful. Breakfast each morning was delicious which included homemade Italian cookies, breads and cakes. The dinning room was always bright and sunny and it was nice to eat breakfast on the large adjoining balcony each morning.

The hotel location was perfect in our opinion. We could catch a bus going in either direction, and it was nice not to have a lot of town-central noise. Even though the hotel is up a steep hill from one of the bus stops, we were in good cheer about it since we got some extra exercise walking off our food. I really liked Praiano and would not mind staying there again. But as for the hotel, unfortunately it was noisier than I expected. While it's not in a bustling town, it is on road where occasional busses pass, and vehicles. This doesn't sound too bad until you're there and realize how noisy it actually is. To make it worse, theres a covered manhole right in front of the hotel, so whenever car would drive over it, it would make a loud echo. Then the motorbikes would come racing down the street with loud engines to the point where you'd have to stop your conversation until they passed. For me, this was an issue because part of the reason in visiting the Amalfi Coast and requesting a balcony was to enjoy some sort of peace and beauty. Also the carport in front of the hotel, while convenient for those that rented cars, also contributed to the noise, because cars were constantly pulling in and out and the engines, door noises and typical commotion was a nuisance. To be clear, we didn't spend our whole day in the hotel but were out and about almost all day the entire time. But especially in the mornings and at night when you want to sit on the balcony and just relax, you really want some peace and quiet, and I don't feel I got that unfortunately. I would have asked for any other room that is farthest from the street had I known this; that is if they have any. Our room was directly over the street.

As for the room itself, it was nicely decorated and charming. I think the cleaning service could have been better though as our bed sheets were sloppily tucked in each day and certain decor items needed dusting. But the bathrooms were always very clean and we always had plenty of towels and toiletries.

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and can forgive some of the oversight of the cleaning staff, but unfortunately the noise factor was too much for me. I don't think I would stay again even though I loved Praiano and the staff. But if that won't be an issue for someone else, it think the hotel is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay in a any room that is farthest from the street below. The street is very noisy from passing veh...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MissJetNyc
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We returned from a wonderful 7 nights and have to say that Suela and Andreas made us feel like family. Suela was very helpful in the planning of our trip,answering all our questions about what we should see, and how we should get around. The breakfasts every morning were great, with eggs, cappuccinos, pastries and fruits. They even made us a cake one morning to celebrate our anniversary. The restaurant on the roof has a spectacular view and excellent food. The hotel is located about 10 minutes from Positano and 20 minutes from Amalfi and the bus stops right in front of the hotel. The hotel is immaculate and the views of the water are amazing. This hotel goes above and beyond to make sure that their guests are happy. We look forward to returning to Praiano and will be sure to stay at this great hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony overlooking the water are beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Praiano
Hotel Tramonto d'Oro
Hotel Locanda Costa Diva
Grand Hotel Tritone
Grand Hotel Tritone
#7 of 20 in Praiano

Been to Hotel Margherita? Share your experiences!