Hotel Alfonso a Mare
Open Gate(Praiano)(Great Value!)
US$110
  • Breakfast included
US$475
Hotel Il Pino(Praiano)(Great Value!)
US$171
US$165
  • Restaurant
US$324
US$281
Official Site
Hotel Locanda Costa Diva(Praiano)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$148
Orbitz.com
Hotel Pellegrino(Praiano)(Great Value!)
US$231
All reviewsluxury stayexcellent locationthe busamalfi coasta great stayhotel is locatedboatsea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I don't understand who people enjoyed their experience in this hotel. I've been there in september with one of my friend. Well, ok. when we arrived and saw the place, we were amazed by the place ( beach..) and this moment was until we saw the room. Very tiny and very dirty, especially the shower, they were ants, hundred of dead ants because of the toxic kill-ants they sprayed all over the room. It was discusting. We notice the girl at the frontdesk and she said that they had problems with ants. We wanted to forget this and walked until the praiano village to eat which was sooooooo far by walk, especially for 2 young women, we ran at the return on the dark road because we met very strange men. No bus at 22 pm. We didn't slept that night because of the climatisation noise. The next morning, ants came back in the bathroom, we decide to left and we had to pay for 300 EUROS TO LIVE (we were supposed to stay 5 days) !!! That was the cost we lost to enjoy our stay in the Amalfi cost. We directly check in at IL PINO , for the same price, the standard in the other hotel Alfonso A mare was comparatively way to low. Even in Bangkok the room were better ....

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank FoodLoverMtl
Sophia_Elisabetta, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Alfonso a Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Dear Sir or Madame ,
we are very unhappy about what happened and to read your comment.
but we like to clarify that we have different kind of rooms and maybe you take the one near our beautiful morning glory ( ipomea - Plant ), so is normal to find one or two ants but is impossible to find hundred of dead ants beacuse the rooms are cleaned thoroughly every day and often two times in the same day.
our hotel is directly on the beach and it is far 1.5 km from the Praiano center but there are regular bus in all amalfi cost area until 00:00 that stop just on top of the hotel . Praiano is a very quiet and peaceful village.
in the standard and in the superior room all our climatisation are soundproof.
for the 300 € is the Cancellation Policies that are specify in all reservation document as the follows:
• Cancellations or modified later or in case of no-show and early departures will be charged the100% of the total .
in your case if we suppose the lowest rate applied in September 2012 is 100€ per night .
but the reservation is for 5 nights so the total of the stay is 500€ , we undestand you and we charge only 300€ .
Praiano is full of Hotels and we happy that you spend the rest of Your stay to our friend of the hotel il pino .
sincerely

Reviewed 17 November 2011

I had a good experience with Hotel Alfonso a Mare. I stayed for one night in October 2011. The welcome was formal, but not unfriendly. My room was ready when I arrived, in spite of me being early, and they showed me to my room right away. My room faced the sea and had an amazing view. I slept wonderfully with the sound of waves crashing outside my door. My room had metal shutters that you could lock for security and still keep your glass doors open to let in the breeze. The room was very clean and nicely furnished. The breakfast was not the best I have had in Italy, but about average. There was a fresh made cappuccino and one roll per person, which the staff brought out to you. Then you could help yourself to meats, cheeses, cereals, yogurts and cakes.
I only had one problem with my stay here, the shower is just a shower head coming out of the wall in the bathroom and you are meant to shower over the bathroom floor. There is a drain in the center of the bathroom floor. The bathroom door itself is wood, warped and a bit moldy. There were also some ants crawling about over the door frame as I showered. This was NOT a reflection on the cleanliness, as my room was squeaky clean. As an American it felt odd to shower this way and I was worried the whole time about water ruining things. Just as I feared, when I opened the bathroom door, the water had escaped under the door and I had a mess to clean up. This was my only issue with this hotel. If they had a shower stall in the bathroom, I'd give them 5 stars!
I should also mention that the location is my favorite in Italy...and I have been to many places in Italy. This little beach is a dream and I always go to that beach, even if I am staying elsewhere in the area. For the price, you can't go wrong with this hotel. By the way, I believe that if you smile and are friendly, others will smile and be friendly back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank designerd0212
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Pros.
- located right on the beach and close to the bus stop (btw, bus service is a highly unreliable, schedule is a wishful thinking, which presents the number of buses through the day only, but not their actual arrival time)
- room was are clean and spacious
- chef is very good
- you can take a trip to different places by boat right from the beach

Cons
- shower is constantly dripping, drainage in shower is insufficient to accept all water from the shower and water spreads to the floor
- the only person capable of speaking English during the daytime shows her annoyance with disturbance in every possible way

Green salad for 5 euro consisted of lettuce only; we had to ask for oil and vinegar. Bread had to be requested separately too. We checked out at 11am and were waiting for a taxi at 1pm. Asked to keep towels to sit on the beach. Answer: No.

Owner seems to have not used a shower for a week or two and have never heard about a hair brush. He seemed to enjoy filling the breakfast area with fumes from his scooter regularly. I have not seen his smile in four days.

We felt unwelcome all the way. Perhaps Italian-speaking guests would get a better experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AnatolIN
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We really enjoyed the place as it was quieter than the big towns of Amalfi and Positano The family were lovely its right on the beach the pasta and dinners were excellent
The rooms were very comfortable with excellent beds
We loved the fact it was right down on the beach
great value highly recomend it

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank robert t
S-Gsister, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Alfonso a Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Dear guest
Your Review gratifies us, Thank you on behalf of the staff and family.
We will work with the same commitment and passion, in order to ensure to all our guests a pleasant and comfortable holiday as the one described by you.
We look forward to renewing to you our warm welcome as soon as possible.
Best Regards

Reviewed 17 May 2011

i never felt so welcome in a hotel. its family owned .the location does not get more romantic than that. very clean very friendly staff. fantasic restaurant....i can recommend this hotel to everyone who needs to relax in a fantastic location.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cinderelas
Sophia_Elisabetta, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Alfonso a Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Dear Madame,
Thank you for your review, it is a pleasure for us know that your stay has been Amazing.
We hope to have you as our guest in the future
our family will be very happy to welcome you again in the Amalfi Coast
best Regards